• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 charger se

thanks man. i am unhappy with the valve covers but i will just redo them. it sure does stand out! i think i may get a set of the original orange wire as well just for a bit more stock flash!

Well,I sorted out the spagetti mess of wiring for the underhood area.
Mating a 1973 Satellite engine/ignition harness with the original Charger harness,the seat belt interlock is gone!
Only the headlight and tail light harness left are original to the car.
I tested everything with a multi meter for contact and made sure there were no open curcuits.

Upon closer inspection,the Charger suffered a catasrophic nuclear meltdown sometime in its life prior to James buying it.
Plopping in a motor/trans and hoping it fire up in "as found" condition would never be possible.
The ECU was melted so bad exposing the guts,the horn wire was melted to bare copper for a good 28 inches.VR and field wires at the alternator was MIA.Some of the interlock wires were cut and twisted together.
Funny that the fusible link was not fried.
What was not melted after the car was left for dead,critters snacked on the insulation on the wires to bare copper.
So,I had no choice but open up everything,inspect,and repair as needed from the bulkhead to the headlamps.
I re-wrapped the harness with brand new correct wrapping tape,so it looks good and compliment the freshly painted motor and engine bay.

Look good,yes..but will it work??
Tomorrow,I am bringing my 73 Shop manual :book1: and a fire extinguiser,LOL!!
I will install the harness and double check connections before putting juice to it .
Once it is all OK,James can fire up the mighty 360.

A pinnacle moment when the car comes alive!!

thats why i gave the harness to you buddy, it is a part of the car i am not interested in playing with. i am glad i picked up a couple of harnesses to make the set up we wanted. oh and i am not at the stage to fire it up just yet to much going on to spend the time i want on the car right now. we can wire it up though i still have some work to do underneath the car before ignition!

After feasting on some pizza,we wired up the underhood area.
Connected everything to the bulkhead,check to make sure the wires matched up properly.
Made sure everything was well grounded.

Plopped the battery in and the car show signs of life.:hello2:

No sparks or jolts from the battery--that was a good sign.
Did not see or hear any fuses pop--another good sign.
The map light in the dash lit up-no doors on the car,LOL!
All the lights in the cluster works,wiper motor works,too!
Turn the key ON and power is going to the ignition switch and the BRAKE light comes on (brakes are not yet bled)
Just a couple small loose ends to attend to like the blower motor wiring and repair the headlight foot dimmer switch wiring.
All the outside lighting is still off the car,so it will be tested later on.
For sure there will be gremlins as the car's progress advances.

James is still a ways away from starting the motor.
Needless to say we are stoked that the car did not poof up in an electrical pyre.:headbang:

Wiring can be a real hoot and working out the gremlins is all by itself but sounds like so far all is going good. Good luck on it...

more will be coming soon i am just a bit burnt out right now. work is super busy right now!

Rewired my last car myself. Sometimes it's easier then trying to sort out and repair wiring that's 38 years old. Nice job so far.

Good to hear you got the copper plumbing in and working thus far! Definitely can be a big hurdle if you start with a plate of chopped up Spaghetti.

thanks guy's i let waygun take care of the wiring he seems to like that stuff and i have so much more on my plate to get the car done that it is nice to have a buddy around to help out with that stuff once in a while. i have the engine and tranny in and tommorow i am off to get some odds and ends to get it up and running. the brakes are done just need to finish bleeding them. got most of my body panels prepped just have one fender and the two quarters left. i really hope to get the paint done soon! but it will take the time it takes i get impatient but things are going well it should be a damm fine car once it is done, a real good driver that looks good as well. cheers

ok some progress today got a nice driveshaft and finally found the right shifter linkage so i worked at it a bit and got a lot of stuff buttoned up under the car. even found a nice padded horn button for my tuff wheel so a good day all in all

got a lot more done yesterday should be able to fire her up this weekend if the charger gods smile on me that is!

well we are really close now just got to pop in the fluids and tie in the exhaust and we should have ''CONTACT'' tommorow perhaps. will post some pic's and thanks to waygun for lending that extra hand it really helps!

Here's a pic to solve the wiper trans mystery..
Image-3.jpg

I am really stoked things are coming together smoothly.
There is something about bring a car back to life.

We need to fix one of the bushings in the wiper trans based on the FSM pic,oops..

it's alive! some fine tuning later and some shorter mufflers and we are good

Tried to upload video of the car running..but it did not work..dammit.
I delivered shorter muffs today since the ones in Charger360's kit are waaay too long.

well the car is running i got some shorter mufflers from waygun's work they fit great all the gauges work fine all the heater and wiper stuff works fine almost done the exhaust just need my tips so i can locate the left exhaust hanger at the muffler and it will be a driver. now i just need to put the doors on and the fenders and the hood and finish the quarter panels...... well you get the idea!

Auto Transport Service
Back