• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Coronet 440 project

I actually got a lot done today. I started with welding a new exhaust flex pipe on my daughters Hyundai. I then sandblasted and welded in the trunk hinges on the Coronet. Installed the trunk springs and covered all the bare metal in Por15 because with all this rain, things were starting to surface rust. From there I started making patch panels for the tail light panel and welded them in. OK I got one patch made and welded in but hey it's a start. When it comes to making these all I can say is, YouTube is my friend. I just typed in "Making patch panels" and "Welding sheet metal". Many really informative videos showed up as well as a horde of really bad stuff. I learned enough to let me start on the tail panel.

I'm getting really good with my small welds. When I welded the patch to the panel I put the spot welds one on top of the other till I had it welded in place. The welds were about 1/8th inch wide and basically no warping. I was really proud of what I did. I just forgot to take pictures.
:eek:ops:
I'll take some tomorrow when I do the other side.

I feel for ya "all this rain sucks" the humidity has become a major issue in my garage as well but a dehumidifier has done wonders for preserving the bare steal. Good luck with your repairs.

I feel for ya "all this rain sucks" the humidity has become a major issue in my garage as well but a dehumidifier has done wonders for preserving the bare steal. Good luck with your repairs.

Yea I just got done reading your thread about the fun you're having with humidity. Yesterday when I was under my daughters Hyundai, I had just started welding the new flex pipe in when is started to downpour. I'm doing this outside cause the Coronet is in the garage. I'm glad the wiring is properly grounded and the circuit breakers are fully functional cause, dayum!

Rain rain go away,
come again another day.
little BigBlock61 wants to play.
so rain, rain go away!

Rain rain go away,
come again another day.
little BigBlock61 wants to play.
so rain, rain go away!

LMAO, boy ain't that the truth. I can take a bath just laying on my floor, what happened to spring?

I'm tired of all the rain too, but it's better than the 100 degree plus they have out west.

All this rain is sure screwing up the yard work lol, we got yet another down pour just before dark, lawn work is fun, in-between rain.. Hope your poem works BB, if the humidity would go away that would be a plus :)

After watching all the youtube videos on how to make patch panels, here's the process I came up with. I traced out the pattern on construction paper, rough cut it out, and then trimmed the paper till it was perfect. Then I transferred the paper to metal and repeated the process of rough cut then grind to fit the pattern. After that I overlayed the new patch over the old and bent to fit. Once the new panel fit perfectly I rough cut out the old rusted metal and trimmed to fit the new piece. This is the spot where I had to stop for the day.

TailPanelPatch_L_End_01.jpg

TailPanelPatch_L_End_02.jpg

TailPanelPatch_L_End_03.jpg

TailPanelPatch_L_End_04.jpg

Tomorrow I'll weld everything in place and move on to the next rust spot. :)

I told you john,you can eat that panel up and spit it out,looks like a professional fab man,you can start your body shop with that kind of work,with you fixing that panel,you just saved your self some money,tell amd,goodmark,shermans to kiss your butt, you do not need to buy there tail panel. The one you got is 100% better.

That's a good way to do it. One small repair, get it the way you want it and move on to the next piece.

Pat yourself on the back, you deserve it.

I told you john,you can eat that panel up and spit it out,looks like a professional fab man,you can start your body shop with that kind of work,with you fixing that panel,you just saved your self some money,tell amd,goodmark,shermans to kiss your butt, you do not need to buy there tail panel. The one you got is 100% better.

Thanks for the words of inspiration johnny but I'm keeping with the motto "Two patches does not a panel make". Time will tell if I can eat this panel up, because truthfully every time I make a cut on this tail panel it scares the hell out of me. I think that's what's keeping me honest, my fear of screwing this thing up. I check, recheck, rerecheck and then check again. After that I make a move. I just want it to be right.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a good way to do it. One small repair, get it the way you want it and move on to the next piece.

Thanks roadrunnerman, I figure that is the best way to do it.

- - - Updated - - -

Pat yourself on the back, you deserve it.

Everytime I try and do that I end up spinning in circles. :)

- - - Updated - - -

execellent!!

Thanks Mr case.

Should have a nice chunk of change saved from not buying an amd panel lol they're stuff adds up quick

Patch looks great...You're really grabbing onto the hefty resto work quickly. Maybe found your long lost calling in life..lol Good Job!

Should have a nice chunk of change saved from not buying an amd panel lol they're stuff adds up quick

That will be nice as long as it works. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Patch looks great...You're really grabbing onto the hefty resto work quickly. Maybe found your long lost calling in life..lol Good Job!

I'm starting to wonder if you may be right. moparjohnny said I would eat this panel up and spit it out. I replied on how much this scares the hell out of me. Today I finished welding in that patch and ground it down so it looks smooth and I think it came out pretty good. here are the pics of what I did before the rain started.

TailPanelPatch_L_End_05.jpg

TailPanelPatch_L_End_06.jpg

TailPanelPatch_L_End_07.jpg

Now for some of the harder stuff. Wish me luck. :)

You got the patch to blend in real good. Can't even tell where you welded. I'm sure you'll do just as well on the harder stuff with no problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back