• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Coronet 440 project

Man that's a bummer about getting laid off .. I wish you a short job search. Very nice metal work

Thanks a lot guys, I'm sure something will come my way. Like I told Ron 73, before the layoff I was getting phone calls daily from head hunters asking if I wanted a job. Until then I figure I'll job hunt in the mornings and immerse myself in my family and the Coronet in the evenings. In between I can always pester you guys, and post dumb stuff in all your threads! :sideways tongue::sideways tongue::sideways tongue:

Hey BB61, I just re-read this entire thread, first off, hope the job search and job find is good, and yields a new job ASAP! I admire and respect the time you're taking to repair pieces I would toss in the trash, and keep in the scrap metal pile for service to other pieces worse off. And, sadly, I see you did NOT get this car media blasted. You will find that post media blasting you'll find areas you thought were good, but, in truth are junk. Blasting not only takes the paint and most rust off, but, finds thin metal -- metal too thin to work with -- and especially put nice paint down on which will certainly come back to haunt you and whomever owns the car later.

The deck lid supports are a very critical component to overall geometry of the car, and how it fits together when assembly time comes. They, like the inner wheelhouses, and inner and outer Rocker Panels are by far (to me) the most challenging parts to change and modify, and the ones most easy to fook up. I no longer am eager to change these items, if I have to, I really really really HAVE to do it, but, I prepare for it with lots of pre work, time, and measuring, even making things like templates, brackets tack welded in place to cover-down on the part when it's removed, and when it's installed later, utilize the template/bracket to assist in re attachment and alignment.

Cheers!

Hey BB61, I just re-read this entire thread, first off, hope the job search and job find is good, and yields a new job ASAP! I admire and respect the time you're taking to repair pieces I would toss in the trash, and keep in the scrap metal pile for service to other pieces worse off. And, sadly, I see you did NOT get this car media blasted. You will find that post media blasting you'll find areas you thought were good, but, in truth are junk. Blasting not only takes the paint and most rust off, but, finds thin metal -- metal too thin to work with -- and especially put nice paint down on which will certainly come back to haunt you and whomever owns the car later.

The deck lid supports are a very critical component to overall geometry of the car, and how it fits together when assembly time comes. They, like the inner wheelhouses, and inner and outer Rocker Panels are by far (to me) the most challenging parts to change and modify, and the ones most easy to fook up. I no longer am eager to change these items, if I have to, I really really really HAVE to do it, but, I prepare for it with lots of pre work, time, and measuring, even making things like templates, brackets tack welded in place to cover-down on the part when it's removed, and when it's installed later, utilize the template/bracket to assist in re attachment and alignment.

Cheers!

Thanks for the well wishes Donny. Yea, I figured that with this tail panel it really can't hurt to try and fix it. If it doesn't work I'm still in the same position of having to buy a new one. An unexpected benefit of doing this is that I find it very relaxing working with the metal. I'd be out there all day cutting, shaping, hammering, and welding if I had my way.
I'm definitely finding out how difficult it is to put back in, something that looks as simple as the trunk hinges. All the things that have to come together just so the deck lid will close properly is sort of staggering. I've taken many measurements to make sure these hinges go back in the right spot, and I did the final fitment with the deck lid in place. That was a sight I'm glad no one took pictures of; me stuffed in a trunk with a tape measure, drill, and screws to put them in place.
I'm still considering media blasting because I'm finding out how difficult it is to sand blast the parts I have been doing. One thing I can guarantee, there is no rust or thin metal in trunk of my car. I can guarantee this because it's all new back there right now. What I'm thinking is that I'll remove the quarters and then get the car blasted. It's that whole area behind the quarters and under the rear window that I'm worried about as well as the firewall / cowl area. I figure the rest will probably end up getting replaced and it can take the rust right along with it. You are right about media blasting and having a good foundation to start with but that's a big chunk of money to come up with all at one time so that has to wait till I have it.

Awesome, subscribed for updates.

Love seeing an old classic be saved.

This is one of the best sites there are for mopar, just my little 0.02 cents,in which i have gotten thousand of dollars worth of info from a lot of great people on this site and i have sold some parts here as well,not to the mention the inspiration i have got from the people on this site and encouragement to step out and start my own work on a old car, i found out that i could do a lot of the work myself and saved some money in whic h i have started to do. Thanks to fbbo.

again???? who'd I PO in the first place???:thinker:

Maybe its just a bad day! lol.

+1, huh? Maybe D80 replied in the wrong thread.

I went back a few pages and it was something about buying a parts car but BB61 didn't have the room for one and basket case was agreeing that he wouldn't have the room either. D80 hasn't posted here very much and might not understand everything we do/say yet. So basket case hasn't pissed off anybody YET. I'm sure he's just waitng for the right person to come along.

My attempt at humor. :sad1:

all is good here!

- - - Updated - - -

. So basket case hasn't pissed off anybody YET. I'm sure he's just waitng for the right person to come along.

this is the kind of remark I'd expect from the road runner site......Stuie putting words in your mouth?:grin:

- - - Updated - - -

well this is my reply he quoted way back on page one. It was about the $50 door panels, nothing at all about his parts car, which I didn;t reply to at all.

How cool is this!!! I came in from repairing the tail panel on the Coronet to have some dinner (Taco Bell). While I'm sitting here I figure I'll try and decode my fender tag. I jump on a site on the internet and the first thing it asks me for is a VIN. When I bought this car it came with a book. This book was full of information that the previous owner was keeping on the car. Stuff like the title, wiring diagrams, and shopping lists for parts. looking through this book again I come across a list of internet sites with one of them being the FBBO. The Coronets last owner was a member here. His username was Marty's Mopar, and he started a thread about when he first bought the Coronet. Here it is.

( http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?1914-Nuther-Newbie&highlight=Marty's+Mopar )

I didn't join this site till after I bought the car and I stumbled across it from Google. I never knew Marty was a member. I hope he logs in someday and can see what I've been doing with his car. Talk about a small world.

How cool is this!!! I came in from repairing the tail panel on the Coronet to have some dinner (Taco Bell). While I'm sitting here I figure I'll try and decode my fender tag. I jump on a site on the internet and the first thing it asks me for is a VIN. When I bought this car it came with a book. This book was full of information that the previous owner was keeping on the car. Stuff like the title, wiring diagrams, and shopping lists for parts. looking through this book again I come across a list of internet sites with one of them being the FBBO. The Coronets last owner was a member here. His username was Marty's Mopar, and he started a thread about when he first bought the Coronet. Here it is.

( http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?1914-Nuther-Newbie&highlight=Marty's+Mopar )

I didn't join this site till after I bought the car and I stumbled across it from Google. I never knew Marty was a member. I hope he logs in someday and can see what I've been doing with his car. Talk about a small world.

That's pretty neat, looks like Marty lost interest soon after purchasing the car. Well at least it is in good hands now.

Auto Transport Service
Back