• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Coronet 440 project

You got the patch to blend in real good. Can't even tell where you welded. I'm sure you'll do just as well on the harder stuff with no problem.

Thanks Roger, coming from a bodyman like yourself that's a real complement.

BigBlock61, You really did do a great job on that panel! When i seen you were going to give it a shot i showed it to my wife and told her there wouldn't be a problem, You are doing a great job on this car! AMD took a back burner on this one.. Whats that you told me and others one time! "its only one piece at a time" Yep, and you've shown it to be work inspirational!

Well here's the next patch in the series. This seems to be getting easier. The only problem I'm having right now is with the top of the tail panel where the deck lid meets the tail panel, there is a rolled lip. What's the best way to make this lip? I left extra metal for the roll.

TailPanelPatch_L_End_08.jpg

TailPanelPatch_L_End_09.jpg

TailPanelPatch_L_End_10.jpg

TailPanelPatch_L_End_11.jpg

When my kids came out to the garage they wondered what I had been doing this evening? I had to point out where the new metal was and they both said they would have never known it was a patch.

TailPanelPatch_L_End_08.jpg TailPanelPatch_L_End_09.jpg TailPanelPatch_L_End_10.jpg TailPanelPatch_L_End_11.jpg

BigBlock61, You really did do a great job on that panel! When i seen you were going to give it a shot i showed it to my wife and told her there wouldn't be a problem, You are doing a great job on this car! AMD took a back burner on this one.. Whats that you told me and others one time! "its only one piece at a time" Yep, and you've shown it to be work inspirational!

Did she roll her eyes and keep walking? Thanks for the encouragement, it helps.

- - - Updated - - -

agreed, great job!

you guys are making me blush.:blush:

- - - Updated - - -

x2! Great job! Looks good as new

Thanks, hopefully soon the whole thing will look like new.

Would be pretty tough to roll that lip with a majority of the patch welded in place. Kinda of an off the wall idea, but you could half a brake or fuel line (width wise) of the same diameter as the rolled lip then graft it in place to recreate that roll. Out of the car, a vise, dolly, hammer and the sheetmetal worked around small diameter rod could get you close. Either way, Patch work continues to look great! Keep up the good work.

Put a copper pipe on the inside of the roll you want to create, then take a ball peen to the steel or something along those lines to bend the lip around the pipe. That's what I would do, but I'm a "all go, no show" kind of guy.

I'd try taking a shot at forming it to a rod of some kind, but like Will said it's probably gonna be tricky with the patch welded in already. The fuel/brake line graft is an interesting idea if all else fails though, I'd keep it in mind!

Thanks for the input on the rolled lip quandary. I ended up using a file and hammering the metal over that. It worked pretty good and it looks like the rest of the lip. The problem I have now is that I went to weld it together and I ran out of wire and gas! :BangHead:

Awesome, glad you got it taken care of. Those "Mcguyver Moments" always feel good when you can make something work and look good that isn't necessarily meant to.

And that one never fails, happened to me when I was just about to finish my passenger side wheelwell repairs. "It's always somethin"

"Did she roll her eyes and keep walking? Thanks for the encouragement, it helps."

Nope, Just a smile! :) Looks good to!!

I'd try taking a shot at forming it to a rod of some kind, but like Will said it's probably gonna be tricky with the patch welded in already. The fuel/brake line graft is an interesting idea if all else fails though, I'd keep it in mind!

Sorry to get all Dr. Frankenstein on ya man...Only idea I have at the moment.

Got some news yesterday, it looks like I'm getting laid off next Friday. :( I hate job hunting, thank god I got my welding wire and gas before I came to my senses and said I can't afford that now. My company did tell me, as soon as it's in the budget they would bring me back. Fingers crossed, any Network Engineer/Analyst w automotive experience positions out there?

Got some news yesterday, it looks like I'm getting laid off next Friday. :( I hate job hunting, thank god I got my welding wire and gas before I came to my senses and said I can't afford that now. My company did tell me, as soon as it's in the budget they would bring me back. Fingers crossed, any Network Engineer/Analyst w automotive experience positions out there?
john i hate to hear that kind of news,i have heard that before my self recently with in last 2 years,so i feel for you and at the same time having faith in you that you will come out of this on your feet and even better,just keep your faith and confidents in your self.be proud of what you did to your car,you can do all that work to your car yourself so it might slow you down some,but not totaly i used my old roadrunner for inspiration to continue on with life no matter how tuff and i landed on my feet just as you will and your kids will,i am pulling for you.

Last edited:
that sucks big time. anytime I was out of work I used it as a kick in the pants to get something better.

Sorry to hear that news. At least they forwarned you. Maybe you can get a little more done on your car and keep your mind busy.

Auto Transport Service
Back