• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Coronet 440 project

john,that s nothing that some aleve,and good ol fashion muscle rub would not cure,and besides you are a young man,that work should not bother a young man like you,just kidding,i have been in the same aches and pain as you after a long day of working on my old car,keep up the good work,i hope job search is going good

X2 on the Aleve or in my case Motrin. Either way it worked out well. I'm only 47 but last night I felt closer to 97. LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Don't get up to Detroit as much as I used to. It's mainly the top of the arch that's rusted. I'll take whatever you don't need for your car. Don't want to take anything away from your project getting fixed. Just let me know what I owe you for shpg. THANKS.

Hey Roger, Here's what I have, are these the areas you need or do you need more? I have no problems sharing what I have.

Ramcharger Quarters.jpg

Sorry to hear about the bad luck. Sometimes harbor freight ain't the way to go I guess. I snapped a couple off myself, usually at the base of the caster. I should have upgraded them myself but I'm to hard headed. Progress looks good though, haven't had my hands on mine since I brought it home. Just tested my air line this evening. Should be sanding and grinding this weekend. Keep up the good work. You forgot a beer or my perscription of a jack and coke with the aleve.

Well I got the mess I created cleaned up today and it turned into a full garage cleaning and rearranging. I did manage to snap a few pictures of the new wheels today.

FrameJigWheels_01.jpg

FrameJigWheels_02.jpg

FrameJigWheels_03.jpg

I started putting parts back on the Coronet today. Once I finish the tail panel I think I'm going to screw it in place or should I go ahead and weld it to the floor pan? I'm also considering going ahead and align, then weld in the trunk floor extensions. I figure I can align the extensions to the existing quarters, wheel wells, and the tail panel. Once all this is done my next question is, which direction should I go? Start on the quarters or start on the dutchman and package tray? Once the quarters are off the plan is to also have the car media blasted. My thinking is still, any panel I replace right now can take the rust off with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep up the good work. You forgot a beer or my perscription of a jack and coke with the aleve.

I knew I was forgetting something!!! LOL I can make up for that now.

Gainfully Employed

I got a call today from my old boss. I start back to work on Monday! What a relief, I hate being laid off.

Congrats! Glad to hear your back in the rat race. Now you'll have less time but more money. Unfortunately time and money is hard to come by.

Good news on getting your job back. This will give you some time to stand back and look at what you still need and save up for more parts.

john, that is great news and i am happy for you and family,and the coronet too.

Great to hear you're back in the saddle for work! Very good news indeed! As far as your flow of work, I would fix/replace the dutchman-package tray before installing the quarters. With the fact you're working off a jig, I would screw the finish panel into place, to be welded in when quarters are dialed in. #10 Sheetmetal screws are cheap, quick and work well. I would worry about dialing your new extensions in to your new quarters, being the slight stamp inconsistencies with the new vs. the old.

As far as your flow of work, I would fix/replace the dutchman-package tray before installing the quarters. With the fact you're working off a jig, I would screw the finish panel into place, to be welded in when quarters are dialed in. #10 Sheetmetal screws are cheap, quick and work well. I would worry about dialing your new extensions in to your new quarters, being the slight stamp inconsistencies with the new vs. the old.

Thanks Prop, that's the route I was leaning toward but it sure is reassuring to hear someone else say it.

- - - Updated - - -

john, that is great news and i am happy for you and family,and the coronet too.

Thanks johnny it sure was a welcome relief to get the call yesterday.

- - - Updated - - -

Good news on getting your job back. This will give you some time to stand back and look at what you still need and save up for more parts.

Yup it sure will. now I get to save up for the dutchman panel and the package tray. it looks like that will be the next part of the Coronet puzzle. I could always try and repair the package tray. it's not like anyone will see it once the car is put back together. Hmmm decisions, decisions. :)

Almost There

I'm almost done with the tail light panel. One small spot with three major bends in the bottom center. I also have some fitment issues with the trunk extensions. I wish I would have clamped them in place before I started those patches. Oh well hindsight....... I'm shooting to be finished with it tomorrow.

TailPanelPatch_L_End_15.jpg

TailPanelPatch_L_End_16.jpg

TailPanelPatch_L_End_17.jpg

TailPanelPatch_L_End_18.jpg

It is still looking good on the back end. Yea, you went 1 step back in that area. Now you know what you will need to do and jump 3 steps forward. I'm enjoying the work you are doing and the fortitude of patching your metal when most everybody else would buy/replace.

It is still looking good on the back end. Yea, you went 1 step back in that area. Now you know what you will need to do and jump 3 steps forward. I'm enjoying the work you are doing and the fortitude of patching your metal when most everybody else would buy/replace.

Yea this has been a learning experience. I think it's coming along better than I anticipated. I got everything aligned today so the metal work is done. Now I'll start on the bodywork for the tail panel.

Your "learning experience" sure is fun watching, unless its AMD watching, lol.. The work you have done and saved a lot of cash from them getting it is inspiring!

Your "learning experience" sure is fun watching, unless its AMD watching, lol.. The work you have done and saved a lot of cash from them getting it is inspiring!

I'm glad I can be inspiring. Doing the work I did on the tail panel has made me less scared to try something a little harder. The rear window on the Coronet is rusted out so maybe that will be the next challenge. After the dutchman panel and the package tray of course.

- - - Updated - - -

I got a line on a media blaster near me today. I think I'll go and check them out after work today. It's a sand blasting company but the guys at the body shop said they can media blast a car with no problems.

the documentation you have done is a great service to us all. guys like you and northerndave who have posted your restorations give the rest of us inspiration and hope for the resurrection of our mopars.:sSig_thankyou:

the documentation you have done is a great service to us all. guys like you and northerndave who have posted your restorations give the rest of us inspiration and hope for the resurrection of our mopars.:sSig_thankyou:

Thanks for the kind words b-star69. It's posts like this that keep me going and wanting to do the best I can. Dave is the true artist here along with Prop, Donny, hunt2elk, SGTPaul, and so many others.

great news & congrats on the work front, just don't let it deter your great progress too much thou...LOL... I know the feeling, of either having the money or the time, but rarely do I have both...

great news & congrats on the work front, just don't let it deter your great progress too much thou...LOL... I know the feeling, of either having the money or the time, but rarely do I have both...

Thanks Budnicks, It is good to be working again. I can't wait to get that first paycheck so things can get back to normal for me. I go out every day and do something to the Coronet to keep my mind centered.

Thanks Budnicks, It is good to be working again. I can't wait to get that first paycheck so things can get back to normal for me. I go out every day and do something to the Coronet to keep my mind centered.

Wow I somehow totally missed the post about you going back to work, congratulations!! And the metalwork is coming along nicely especially that tail panel. Judging by how that came out I say patch up the original package tray yourself!

And I do the exact same thing with doing at least a little work on the car to relax at the end of the day. Sure beats the hell out of yoga or a rock garden or something :icon_thumleft:

Auto Transport Service
Back