• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Coronet 440 project

I'm sure you get it right BB61... The jig is a great addition to your restoration. I bet you're getting stoked to put that trunk pan in there..

LOL stoked and scared. This is a big piece of the puzzle and it has to be perfect. Body panels attach to it!

I did get some work done today. I removed the fuel tank strap mounts and the spare tire mount from the old trunk piece. Now to get them cleaned up and welded to the new trunk floor.

TrunkBrace.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

From the looks of it I should probably replace the tail light panel of the Coronet. A quick look on AMD's website and I see that its $400.00 and $250.00 to ship it. So knowing I have to replace this panel I think I'm going to try and fix it. I figure if I screw it up or I don't like it when its finished, I'll still have to pay the $650.00 to AMD. So I have nothing to loose in trying to fix it. Here's what I have to work with.

TailPanelOld_1.jpg

TailPanelOld_2.jpg

TailPanelOld_3.jpg

TailPanelOld_4.jpg

TailPanelOld_5.jpg

TailPanelOld_6.jpg

I ordered a set of hammers and dolly's from Eastwood. They should be here tomorrow. This should go just like it does on TV right!!! LOL

Yep - they almost run themselves.

I have to admit that after looking around this forum a bit I'm getting a little garage envy. All the pics that I see are of nice well lit, spacious, and fully equipped garages/buildings. I'm doing this in a dark 1 car garage. Oh well I guess We work with what we have. Going outside to hug my Mopar now and tell it everything's going to be ok. :p

Not all of us have a garage :). I'm working under a car port, in a gravel drive way, with 100 degree temps in the summer and 20 degrees in winter

Nice car
Thomas

just remember, when it's not going quite right, that's when you cut to a commercial!

just remember, when it's not going quite right, that's when you cut to a commercial!

LOL...."We'll be right back"

Good luck on that tail panel. Definitely doable, but needs a lot of loving. By Chance, did you happen to contact Jeff Brown at 521 Restorations about that tailpanel? He's a FBBO member (jsbrown) and offers FBBO Member discounts. Bought a ton of AMD metal from him (great guy), and I don't remember shipping being that steep.

http://www.521restorations.com/index.pl?page=bbody&sub1=Tail%20Panel

Ya........just like on tv.

I'll be on Powerblock before ya know it! LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Yep - they almost run themselves.

I keep waiting for my Coronet to fix itself like Christine.

- - - Updated - - -

Not all of us have a garage :). I'm working under a car port, in a gravel drive way, with 100 degree temps in the summer and 20 degrees in winter

Nice car
Thomas

I guess I can't complain, we work with the tools we have. Thanks for the complement, one day it really will be a nice car.

- - - Updated - - -

Is that how it works! I thought they were just that good! (I can't even type that with a straight face) :rolling:

john,i have been watching and so far from what i can see of your work,no reason why you can not fix that tail panel,i seen guys here make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t and i feel like you can do it,take your time ,draw a pattern out of what is missing using cardboard and lay your card board diagram on sheet metal and cut it out and tack weld it in,erase the fear and pull in the i will ace this work mind set.i have some work facing me and i will not take any prisioners meaning i will not fail,i will be slow,confident,and dog gone i am not going to mess this up mentality.

Just making a suggestion, if you end up having to get some AMD sheatmetal you can get them through Stephens Performance and pick it up at the Mopar Nats in Columbus Oh. I'm sure there will be others there that can have them for you but that's a good chunk of change to save and a good excuse to check it out. Good luck

LOL...."We'll be right back"

Good luck on that tail panel. Definitely doable, but needs a lot of loving. By Chance, did you happen to contact Jeff Brown at 521 Restorations about that tailpanel? He's a FBBO member (jsbrown) and offers FBBO Member discounts. Bought a ton of AMD metal from him (great guy), and I don't remember shipping being that steep.

http://www.521restorations.com/index.pl?page=bbody&sub1=Tail Panel

It's only one rust hole at a time right. :) No I havn't contacted Jeff. Most of the metal that I've been using comes from Shermans. I see that a lot of people here go to Jeff and really seem to like him and I'll probably do the same thing when the time comes. The prices I got were straight from AMD's website. There's something special about going to a store and buying the parts and physically taking them home with you that day versus waiting for them to be delivered. Another reason I want to try and do this is because of my son Erik's friend Chris. He offered to help with the Coronet and boasts about how he is the best welder, body man, and engine builder EVER! He then proceeds to tell me not to worry about the body lines, we can just put them back with bondo. My reaction, Step away from the Coronet!!!!

Just making a suggestion, if you end up having to get some AMD sheatmetal you can get them through Stephens Performance and pick it up at the Mopar Nats in Columbus Oh. I'm sure there will be others there that can have them for you but that's a good chunk of change to save and a good excuse to check it out. That's kinda how I got all of my AMD stuff, I ordered them at the show because they offered free shipping if bought at the show. Good luck

john i forgot to mention something that i notice on your rear crossmember,i believe that you have four long oval type holes on the crossmember and i think they are suppose to have four long oval type holes at the end of your frame rails they are suppose to match so you can thread your bumper bolts thru those holes to attach bumper,please double check that i might wrong but my car is tore a part from back and my frame rails have four oval holes to attach crossmember and slide bolts thru. i will be looking. see ya

erase the fear and pull in the i will ace this work mind set.i have some work facing me and i will not take any prisioners meaning i will not fail,i will be slow,confident,and dog gone i am not going to mess this up mentality.

Thanks Johnny, I feel the same way

- - - Updated - - -

Just making a suggestion, if you end up having to get some AMD sheatmetal you can get them through Stephens Performance and pick it up at the Mopar Nats in Columbus Oh. I'm sure there will be others there that can have them for you but that's a good chunk of change to save and a good excuse to check it out. That's kinda how I got all of my AMD stuff, I ordered them at the show because they offered free shipping if bought at the show. Good luck

That could work! Thanks 7

- - - Updated - - -

john i forgot to mention something that i notice on your rear crossmember,i believe that you have four long oval type holes on the crossmember and i think they are suppose to have four long oval type holes at the end of your frame rails they are suppose to match so you can thread your bumper bolts thru those holes to attach bumper,please double check that i might wrong but my car is tore a part from back and my frame rails have four oval holes to attach crossmember and slide bolts thru. i will be looking. see ya

You're right and I have to cut them out on the frame rails I bought. I just havn't done it yet

Yep I say you can definitely save that tail panel. Mine had a similar small hole behind the bumper that I patched, as well and some tricky patches I had to do in my trunk. I say save yourself some money and fix what ya got :icon_thumleft:

And just a note on the kid wanting to throw bondo at the car, All-metal is good to use in any area that bondo would be questionable haha really tough stuff. I generally use it instead of bondo in areas like quarter-to-roof seams, over low spots where I've welded, small nicks in body lines etc.

And just a note on the kid wanting to throw bondo at the car, All-metal is good to use in any area that bondo would be questionable haha really tough stuff. I generally use it instead of bondo in areas like quarter-to-roof seams, over low spots where I've welded, small nicks in body lines etc.

As it's intended to be used. Not to recreate body lines. In his defense he's only 18 and I used to be just as cocky when I was that age.

Look what I found on my fridge today. This was drawn freehand by my daughter. I think she's hooked on this project. Maybe it will become a family thing. Too soon to tell though. Now I just have to teach her Adobe Illustrator so I can make it a paint mask. :) Maybe have it say Super Net instead of Bee.

View attachment 119773
Very cool drawing, she has talent too...

As it's intended to be used. Not to recreate body lines. In his defense he's only 18 and I used to be just as cocky when I was that age.

Haha! Yeah definitely didn't mean to say "sculpt a car out of the stuff" but it works really well where it's suitable to use.

When some of my friends (my age, import guys) saw my trunk all chopped up before I got to welding, I got the infamous "why don't you just bondo it?" question a few times. I just told them "because it's not a honda" :head_smack:

Just read the whole thread, very cool 69 Coronet/Bee clone or what ever it will end up being type project....... I feel kind of bad thou, I start with so much more solid Calif. cars, all you guys, with all this rust repairs & panel replacements, are making me feel kind of guilty or lazy even...NOT...LOL... {I've been there & done that too} Cool father & son project, takes patients sometimes... keep up the great work, it's coming along nicely...

Very cool drawing, she has talent too...

Yea I tell her that all the time. Her room is filled with drawings that good and better.

- - - Updated - - -

I got the infamous "why don't you just bondo it?" question a few times. I just told them "because it's not a honda" :head_smack:

:rolling::rolling:

- - - Updated - - -

Just read the whole thread, very cool 69 Coronet/Bee clone or what ever it will end up being type project....... I feel kind of bad thou, I start with so much more solid Calif. cars, all you guys, with all this rust repairs & panel replacements, are making me feel kind of guilty or lazy even...NOT...LOL... {I've been there & done that too} Cool father & son project, takes patients sometimes... keep up the great work, it's coming along nicely...

Yea you Calli guys have it easy nothing but cracked dash pads and faded paint. LOL

- - - Updated - - -

I did get a little done on the Coronet today before the humidity and the mosquitoes drove me into the air conditioning. I got the gas tank strap supports welded to the new floor and I started drilling the bazillion holes in the floor pan so I can weld it to the frame. Also my gas filler tube for a Charger came in the mail today so I can continue the mockup of the gas cap. I think I should have been more upset about the filler tube. The guy I bought it from told me it had surface rust on it. He failed to mention the rust hole in the tube where it meets the floor. Oh well just one more thing to fix. My body hammers and dollys arrived today from Eastwood. I can't wait to try them out, especially the trim hammer and anvil.

Auto Transport Service
Back