• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Coronet 440 project

john i am watching and cheering you on,great inspiration for me and a joy to see you bring that coronet back to a healthy and happy life even better than it was from the factory,i think we all are in the remaking business to a certain degree with these old cars,chrysler needs to send us a check for remaking these cars better than they actually built them.

john i am watching and cheering you on,great inspiration for me and a joy to see you bring that coronet back to a healthy and happy life even better than it was from the factory,i think we all are in the remaking business to a certain degree with these old cars,chrysler needs to send us a check for remaking these cars better than they actually built them.

Thanks for the kind words. I'll keep posting as more gets done. I keep looking in my mailbox but there is never a check from mother mopar but my checkbook seems to be getting smaller since I started this project.

Wow looking great man! You are making some really quick progress and the work looks top notch! Keep it up and you'll be behind the wheel before you know it :icon_thumleft:

Wow looking great man! You are making some really quick progress and the work looks top notch! Keep it up and you'll be behind the wheel before you know it :icon_thumleft:

I can't wait for that day, I already sit in it and make motor noises. :3gears:

"Progress" great looking work your doing. My daughter says I'm retarted for doing the same thing "sitting in it making motor sounds" HaHa. The first time I started it with the kids in the garage two of they're friends took off crying "scared the crap out of them" but I was grinning ear to ear. Keep plugging away at it, you'll be there soon.

Well my trunk hinges that I bought from moparmarks showed up yesterday. They are in great shape and I immediately started to clean them up. I definitely recommend buying from him. I had pictures before I bought and once I did they were here within days of the order.

TrunkHingeNew.jpg

Now for the fun part. When I cut the brackets out to patch the inner wheel well I forgot to measure and brace. Well they sprung, now the new ones don't match up at all with the alignment marks that I did put there. I think the wheel well dropped out of place, but since I'm not sure where everything was I'm not sure where to put things back to and nothing really moves. The back trunk drip rail measures 19 3/4" from the bottom of the rail to the frame on both sides. So I don't think that moved. The marks on the wheel well are about 1/2" too low. Any ideas on how to raise it or how to check to verify that its off?

The work continues today. After measuring everything I could think of to see what moved the only conclusion I can come up with is the wheel well itself is what moved. If that's all that moved I don't think its a big deal. I removed the other trunk hinge bracket and nothing moved. I cut out the remaining rust in the right inner wheel well and started welding in a patch. From the looks of it the package tray, rear window frame, and the dutchman panel, they all need to be replaced. After the trunk is in that will be the next step in the process of project rust removal. Car **** to follow later.

Great job. I could use some info on the body cart. I'd like to build one before I start on my Coronet.

Great job. I could use some info on the body cart. I'd like to build one before I start on my Coronet.

There's not much information I can give you. I bought it from smyythe68 here on the board and he built it.

Sorry, couldn't seem to get the pics PM'd. Hopefully you can use the screw hole as a reference (measurements without quarter extensions installed).DSCN7925.jpgDSCN7924.jpgDSCN7923.jpgDSCN7926.jpg

That's perfect Devin now I can play around and see if I can make the Charger gas cap fit on my Coronet. It looks like I'm going to have to put it closer to the edge of the quarter than on the Charger because of the body lines. I think the next part is going to have to be the trim ring so I can see how much it covers the indents on the patch.

If it were me I would just use that measurement as a rough idea, cause like you say it won't directly transfer to the 'net's dimensions and body lines. But just eyeball it from every angle you'd be able tp see it and find it a good home on the quarter wherever looks good to you.

You can always custom rig a flexible hose as a filler neck down to the tank of the straight neck wouldn't match up. :icon_thumleft: really looking forward to seeing that mod done though, should look awesome!

:icon_thumleft: really looking forward to seeing that mod done though, should look awesome!

I can't wait to see it done myself, the suspense is killing me. LOL

If I can make this work I'd like it to look like something Dodge would have done. I want it to look as stock as possible. The hard part looks like it will be finding a Charger filler tube or something close that I can cut up and reweld to fit.

Last edited:
I don't know what your doing for the tank but I think a Charger tank would bolt right in then you would only need a flat area above the filler hole to mount the rubber seal. The hard part about the filler tube is the top, screw flange, breather, rolled lip etc, other than that it would be easy to make.

I don't know what your doing for the tank but I think a Charger tank would bolt right in then you would only need a flat area above the filler hole to mount the rubber seal. The hard part about the filler tube is the top, screw flange, breather, rolled lip etc, other than that it would be easy to make.

Yea I'm pretty sure a Charger gas tank will bolt up to my Coronet. Hopefully I have a guy who has a filler neck for a Charger that he'll sell to me. Other than that I was thinking about cutting the filler tube for the Coronet in half welding on a mounting ring and extending the tube to make it all fit. I'll post pics when I have them.

- - - Updated - - -

great progress ....

keep up the good work ....

Thanks and will do. :)

- - - Updated - - -

You sure are dong a great job!

Well both inner wheel wells are done so now I can finish the rear frame and trunk. On the more fun side I started fitting the Charger gas cap onto the Coronet.

Here's the initial placement I just have to figure out the best way to blend the cap into where the quarter dips down it the trunk lid.

ChargerPatch_1.jpg

ChargerPatch_2.jpg

ChargerPatch_3.jpg

ChargerPatch_4.jpg

It fits pretty well considering it's not made for the Coronet. Right now it's just sitting there. It's not tacked in. I'm not sure on the best way to make a compound bend in metal. It has to go around the cap and flow into the quarter. Any ideas?

Can you go from underneath and maybe cut a little on your top body line and then integrate the cap ridge into the bodyline.

or move the capwell as close to outer edge as you can and flange the the hole (on the quarter) so it sits lower, then you can fill in. Just throwing a couple ideas out there.

Can you go from underneath and maybe cut a little on your top body line and then integrate the cap ridge into the bodyline.

This is the plan Roger. I just need to figure out the best way to accomplish this and integrate the Coronet body lines into the cap.

Auto Transport Service
Back