• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Coronet 440 project

Hey watch what you guys say about young guys not having enough ambition! lol

Looking great John! The weather must have finally given you a break cause you're haulin some @ss haha, glad to hear you finally got a break with the solid crossmember. And as far as the rollbar goes, you can put it in after the floors, just weld the cage anchoring points to the floor above where it meets the front and rear subframes and it'll be good.

It's official I hate media blasting, and all I'm doing is cleaning just enough so I can get the floor done. This is definitely a job for the guys with the right equipment.

Music to remove undercoating to.

[video=youtube;Sc_obkdTByU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Sc_obkdTByU[/video]

It's official I hate media blasting, and all I'm doing is cleaning just enough so I can get the floor done. This is definitely a job for the guys with the right equipment.

Yeah, that's one thing I really don't mind paying the pros to do. Not a fun job and very time consuming.

More scraping and cleaning the frame rails and rockers today, but I'm starting to see some real progress.

Removed_Floor05.jpg

I have real metal on my frame rails!!!!!

Removed_Floor06.jpg

My boy EJ started taking the front suspension. Guess who had to finish it??? Oh well it's good to be young.

Removed_Front_Suspension.jpg

It looks strange with no K member but strange good. If all goes well I want to finish blasting the inside of the frame and get it coated in POR 15 by the end of the week. Maybe this weekend I can start fitting the new floor.

Engine_Bay.jpg

More music to clean to

[video=youtube;D7JvWbHSG7E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7JvWbHSG7E&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

It's always a good thing to see shiny metal. You gonna blast your k member while you're at it?

Project is coming along great! On the K member I vote black though a dark gunmetal would look pretty cool.
Wish would've powder coated, went the cheap route on mine and used engine enamel, hopefully it holds up over time.

Project is coming along great! On the K member I vote black though a dark gunmetal would look pretty cool.
Wish would've powder coated, went the cheap route on mine and used engine enamel, hopefully it holds up over time.

I was thinking gunmetal for the suspension parts. Great minds think alike!

Well today was a frustrating day. I had one seat support that was mangled on the Coronet. It was beat up pretty bad but still welded to the rocker and the floor. I made the decision to just replace it with a new piece instead of trying to reshape the old one. I cut the old one out and tossed it (mistake number one). A few weeks later I buy a new one from Shermans auto. On their website it's called a universal seat support (mistake number 2). I welded it on the other day and everything went smooth, I was a happy camper. I also purchased subframe connectors from US Cartool. They came in the other day along with the rest of my floor from Shermans and my vents from Hunt2elk. I'm out there today test fitting the connectors when I notice the front seat mount is sitting too low.

SeatSupport01.jpg

So now I take a good look at the other side and what do I find? the front support is shorter than the rear support.

SeatSupport02.jpg

Back to the drivers side and sure enough, their the same size. So now what do I do? Try and fine the right one for the Coronet or cut the one I have and make it fit?

SeatSupport03.jpg

Other than fracking up and putting on the wrong support, I really like how the subframe connectors look.

SeatSupport04.jpg

I'm really getting good at this one step forward and two steps back dance that I'm doing. All in all I guess, chalk it up as a good learning experience, I mean, you can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs right? Oh well, I've got a chapter to read tonight and some homework to finish, then I'll try and locate the right part for the Coronet.

Here's a fitting song for today's work.

[video=youtube;7k4ujBGRGf8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k4ujBGRGf8&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Wow, nice looking progress 61 sure is looking good with the new metal going in. Five Finger Death Punch rocks:headbang:

Hi guys, I know I haven't been posting much but that doesn't mean that I'm not working on the Coronet. I'm just saving you from the hours of scraping undercoating, sand blasting parts, and cleaning frame rails. I have the front trans cross member clean as a whistle and ready for the new floor.

Removed_Floor07.jpg

I think I'm going to wait on putting the floor in though. I finally got off my A** and made it the the media blaster. After explaining what I had he told me a price of $500 to $700 to media blast my shell. So if I can get the quarters cut out to the point that he has access to the rockers up to the roof, life should be good. For that price I'll have to prime it myself but how hard can that be? I figure that I could even rattlecan it if I have to. I have a paint store near me that will mix and install into a rattlecan for me, so I can even get a good etching primmer.

SubFrameConnector_01.jpg

I've also begun installing my frame connectors before the floor. I've been test fitting as I go so I know it's going to work. Well that's all for now, After dinner I'll get back out in the garage and get some more done. :)

Looks like a lot of hard work going in to her John, looking good and taking your time to think before starting is a good thing! The old adage for carpenters "measure twice, cut once" works well with metal work to! :)

Looks good. You'll have that floor in there before you know it. Did you get your floor support issue taken care of?

Looks like a lot of hard work going in to her John, looking good and taking your time to think before starting is a good thing! The old adage for carpenters "measure twice, cut once" works well with metal work to! :)

Yup Ron, lots of scraping the undercoating. There's not a lot of undercoating left on the car but enough to keep me busy. Now that I'm working towards getting it media blasted I need to get the car striped. I haven't taken some things off the car because I'm not working on that area. Now it's finish up what I'm doing and get the Coronet ready for media blasting.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks good. You'll have that floor in there before you know it. Did you get your floor support issue taken care of?

Yea Roger, I ended up cutting the seat support to the size I needed and welded it back together.

Auto Transport Service
Back