• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Concord Ca. guys, from back in the day

I never expected to to go down memory lane

Yeah I saw it in the welcome wagon section guys location was Concord Ca

he goes by 1BAD426GTX,

he has only one post,

a question about finding out information on his car,
that he bought back in 1976 IIRC, nice green original appearing 69 Hemi GTX...

Figured I'd try anyway....
I haven't gone silent, just busy.
Wow, Budnicks,Meep-Meep,1badgtx and all. I never expected to get the memory lane thing out of my question. Born in '57, I've lived in Concord since '60 and haven't left. The car is a numbers matching HEMI car with the SuperTrac Pak,727, air grabber but no power steering. 51K+ original mile car and has all the dents and scratches to go with the 45 years it's survived. It's a 20 foot car and that's the best photo I have on the forum. So many names from the past. Does any one remember "Cruising the Creek", Main street in Walnut Creek. I live a couple of blocks over from the Edgecombs and see them every couple of weeks. they have so many Mopars, too many to list, Larry sr. is racing a "stock" 70 GTX wedge car that runs in the high 11's. I just saw Linda a couple of weeks ago at the Wounded Warriors car show in Concord, she and I talked for quite a while as my car reminded her of her Coronet that she sold sometime back.I remember so many of the names you all have brought up. We are a Mopar family, Dodge Ram, P.T. Cruiser, my two sons are into Mopars also. One has a 67 Charger with a built 440 along with a 70 Dart and a 70 Demon. My other has a 66 HEMI Charger we restored from the ground up. If any of you are in the Pleasant hill area on Friday night stop by Sun Valley Mall ( west on Willow Pass rd. off 680). We have a weekly car show on the Sears side near Baja Fresh restaurant. Our two HEMI cars plus good number of "Cudas and Challengers are always there. We are there by 5 and leave about 8:30. Thanks for taking me back to those days. Brian Smith (67,68 GTX and 70 Duster 440 tunnel ram) has had some health issues if you remember him please check out http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/a-dad-in-need/116304 his current build is a 68 Barracuda with a HEMI, bad *** car. I hope to be online more and I hope to meet you guys on a Friday night or maybe at a Mopar Alley or Spring Fling show.

HA! I know you. I just saw you Saturday during the commissioning of the leaning tower of power! You were the supervisor. Good to have you on board.

Great to have you here,
I'm sure we know allot/some of the same people...
it's a small world sometimes

I fondly remember the WC cruise on Main & Locust St., use to do that,
before going out to Encino Grande/Safeway parking lot, off Willow Pass,
tell all hr's of the night on most all fri's & sat's, where all the gear heads & racers hung out...

Tovaritch!

Russian Vodka ??

Did you mean tovarich or tovarish ?
meaning comrade in Russian/old Soviet Union Greeting

I had to look it up...

Attachments

• Vodka Tovaritch.jpg
    Vodka Tovaritch.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 187
Tovarich is friend! And I suppose vodka, as it's a friend to many over there.

yeah it's all over this "hellcat" forum, now

As I reread all these posts, I am recalling more.Tthe 39 was a Chevy with 6-2's on a 392. That car was known as HEMIROID.

Talking about Tom Ross's 39 Chevy, I couldn't remember what it had in it, we went separate ways, just got into different neighborhood & schools etc.

My pops and myself and my late brother were concord folks.

Ron Clark, Fatty, Bobby, Derek, Alex, my uncle Dick with the yellow nitroused cuda..etc etc

My pops and myself and my late brother were concord folks.

Ron Clark, Fatty, Bobby, Derek, Alex, my uncle Dick with the yellow nitroused cuda..etc etc

Tell us more, we like to reminisce about the good old days...

Ron Clark (AKA Speaker head). Got the name because he would always talk $hit at 10th st in Pittsburg (AKA n***r nationals).

Fatty (AKA Dog Breath; the fat phantom; Paul Schnurr). Got the name because he was fat and a first class embezzler. Well, maybe second class because he got caught and went to jail for a while. But the good part is I got to babysit his 66 hemi Charger while he was in.

Derek was a cool cat with a white 70 Charger who lived in PH and never got into any trouble that I knew of. It was from him that I got my 18 spline 4 spd that I still own today.

Dick had a 67 383 S Barracuda fastback that was a solid 13 sec street car. It became a 13 second street car because he kept getting beat by my 68 RR and had enough of that. Then I put the 426 Max Wedge in the RR. He would drive around town with a 12 pack of Schmidt beer in a cooler behind the drivers seat and a plastic gallon milk jug to piss in (too lazy to get out of the car I guess). He added a 100 HP N2O kit (from Speaker head) and it went 12.22 at Fremont on 14" 70 series radials. Said he needed at least two beers in him or he'd red light every time.

Those were some interesting and very cool times.

oh the good ol'days...LOL

Ron Clark (AKA Speaker head). Got the name because he would always talk $hit at 10th st in Pittsburg (AKA n***r nationals).

Fatty (AKA Dog Breath; the fat phantom; Paul Schnurr). Got the name because he was fat and a first class embezzler. Well, maybe second class because he got caught and went to jail for a while. But the good part is I got to babysit his 66 hemi Charger while he was in.

Derek was a cool cat with a white 70 Charger who lived in PH and never got into any trouble that I knew of. It was from him that I got my 18 spline 4 spd that I still own today.

Dick had a 67 383 S Barracuda fastback that was a solid 13 sec street car. It became a 13 second street car because he kept getting beat by my 68 RR and had enough of that. Then I put the 426 Max Wedge in the RR. He would drive around town with a 12 pack of Schmidt beer in a cooler behind the drivers seat and a plastic gallon milk jug to piss in (too lazy to get out of the car I guess). He added a 100 HP N2O kit (from Speaker head) and it went 12.22 at Fremont on 14" 70 series radials. Said he needed at least two beers in him or he'd red light every time.

Those were some interesting and very cool times.

As alex knows, Dick was my uncle and he once told me it went 11.80s but i was such a youngster then I can barely remember fremont drags I was only 10 when they closed up.

my uncle did drink everytime he drove the car, it seemed to help him function. he was also a helluva bracket racer.

There is also Rob Bennet that had a red 440 4 speed charger. It went through several iterations.

I remember helping him and fatty and marty and bobby when I was maybe 11, put a 440 in his blue charger SE. I think it was a 71 charger.

I also remember your GTX convertible alex and if I remember right you had a 6 pack on it

My family moved from France to the Bay Area in 1959, first to San Anselmo then to Berkeley for one year, then Albany in 1960. We used to hang out at Foster's freeze on Solano ave most nights, dragging up and down Solano ave, the cops knew all of us and we knew all the cops (all 4 of them)! I got plenty of tickets too, mostly equipment violations, taillights, mufflers (or lack thereof) bald tires, etc...
On weekends we would go cruise either "the main" in Richmond (McDonald ave), or San Rafael CA (4th st), it was a scene out of American Graffiti exactly.
Occasionally would go to Fremont and race. I had so many cars but my favorite was a 58 Chevy Impala 348, pretty car but definitely not a race car, chick magnet, yes. There were quite a few really serious cars in town, the Stephenson brothers were serious racers, Dick had a street legal 57 Chevy sedan delivery gasser that thing was BAADASS, his brother had a 64 Galaxie 428/ 4speed, even faster than the gasser! Their house (and shop) was on San Pablo ave across from the Albany Bowl next door to El Cerrito Plaza.
Another friend, Ray, had a badass 56 Chevy 2 dr hdtp, 327/ 4 speed.....we would get drunk and go cruising....I remember one night coming back from Richmond, going down Hwy 80 behind Albany hill where the 2 freeways intersect, I looked over at the speedo.....we were going 110 mph, no seat belts and drunk.....miraculously we didn't get in trouble, I still get goose bumps when I think about how stupid we were!!
Also, had friends in Concord and Pleasant Hill that we would hang out with occasionally. Had a girlfriend in Concord whose father owned several Chicken Delight stores.
My family still owns the house in Albany and my brother lives in Santa Rosa.
I get back there occasionally.

Now that 4th Street in San Rafael has been mentioned I can jump in. I grew up in Novato (Marin County) and 4th Street was where we cruised, looking for "new" girls and trying to pick-up races. We used to race out on San Quentin (yes, the prison) Road. I had a Model A painted competition yellow (painted outside in my yard) with a small block, a 3 speed and a Columbia 2 speed rear end. Later, a 51 Ford with a small block and 6-2s.
When we were really adventurous we would make the trek over the Golden Gate out to the Great Highway or Brotherhood drive to watch the "real" street racers. On a few occasions I witnessed cars trailered in to the races at the Great Highway. Cars from the Crusaders Car club seemed to always be in the thick of things. We scattered like rats when the police were on their way. A lot of fun for us car nuts in the early 60s.

Coloradodave...Was your 51 Ford black primer 2 dr sedan?

It was black with some black primer on it and a 2dr. sedan. The rear fenders were radiused to fit some big Bruce cheater slicks on it. It had a set of orange homemade traction bars that reached midway on the doors. I used to run without the hood most of the time as I had bent chrome velocity stacks, painted yellow on the inside, a look that I had copied off a Buick motor that had been on the cover of Hot Rod magazine. Man, I was proud of that set-up....lol.

Auto Transport Service
Back