• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Concord Ca. guys, from back in the day

I have seen you on the street in SR then, I remember the cutout rear fender wells, I loved that look. I had a similar ride, a baby blue 49 Ford 2 dr sedan with painted white fender wells, scavenger pipes, jacked up rear end, no front bumper or grille, the name painted on the lower front fenders just in front of the doors: "hushabye"...

Now that 4th Street in San Rafael has been mentioned I can jump in. I grew up in Novato (Marin County) and 4th Street was where we cruised, looking for "new" girls and trying to pick-up races. We used to race out on San Quentin (yes, the prison) Road. I had a Model A painted competition yellow (painted outside in my yard) with a small block, a 3 speed and a Columbia 2 speed rear end. Later, a 51 Ford with a small block and 6-2s.
When we were really adventurous we would make the trek over the Golden Gate out to the Great Highway or Brotherhood drive to watch the "real" street racers. On a few occasions I witnessed cars trailered in to the races at the Great Highway. Cars from the Crusaders Car club seemed to always be in the thick of things. We scattered like rats when the police were on their way. A lot of fun for us car nuts in the early 60s.

Thanks for The Great Highway memory. I was there once when I was a kid - maybe 12 or 13. Awesome scene! This was in the 70's and the road was divided with the southbound lanes on the water side and parking in the middle. As it worked out, the parking was the pits and for spectators and racing would go northbound along the edge of the park. The southbound was the return road and cars would line up in pairs just like at the track. Fricken amazing!!

I have seen you on the street in SR then, I remember the cutout rear fender wells, I loved that look. I had a similar ride, a baby blue 49 Ford 2 dr sedan with painted white fender wells, scavenger pipes, jacked up rear end, no front bumper or grille, the name painted on the lower front fenders just in front of the doors: "hushabye"...

speaking of ol'Ford shoeboxes

I had a decent 49 Ford Business Coupe {actually a 51 I converted to a 49 for Nostalgia racing}
that terrorized Concord area & tracks out west...

sorry about the crappy photos, Polariod's I'm no photographer & car was still being built

Attachments

• Budnicks 49 Ford Business Coupe Pro-Gas #4.jpg
    Budnicks 49 Ford Business Coupe Pro-Gas #4.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 174
  • Budnicks 49 For Business Coupe Pro-Gas #6 Hilborn Hat & tunnel-ram.jpg
    Budnicks 49 For Business Coupe Pro-Gas #6 Hilborn Hat & tunnel-ram.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 169
My sister Linda started a car club called diablo valley mopars in the concord area in the 80's. Those were some good times! She had a 69 coronet 440 with Ms mopar on the plate.

concord, pleasant hill, walnut creek mid 60s great place in those days.

My sister Linda started a car club called diablo valley mopars in the concord area in the 80's. Those were some good times! She had a 69 coronet 440 with Ms mopar on the plate.

I remember her, she was friends with Roland {RIP} & Sue Merman,
anyway that's how I met her, she & the DVMC did a car show @ a park every year off Concord Blvd. IIRC
I had my green 68 Charger R/T, my yellow 69 RR & my 68 Sliver RR in a coupe of them...
Some brand x stuff too...LOL, but I won't go there again...

- - - Updated - - -

concord, pleasant hill, walnut creek mid 60s great place in those days.

Yeah it's a completely different place/area now, changed allot since I was born & raised,
1959 & when I grew up there went away to school & back again tell 1997...

Yes! I met Linda a few times through the old Mopar Muscle Club International when I was in the San Jose area in the summer of '83. I had the black '70 GTX from WI. It isn't likely she'd remember me - I was only there a short time.

old *** thread
bumped
resurrected
for a different thread about street racing,
thought it would be cool to bring it back
all the damn spelling errors & all

Small world

Small freaken world isn't it !... A lot of those name do sound familiar, as far as Roland, A couple of my racing partners Rob & Dee Corrado were friends of the Mermons & another guy always there was Mike Fuentes, long before I met him... Roland is dead, he died probably 12-15 years ago now, he got into some bad stuff {powders, I think}, he had a massive annureisum {spelling} he was a veg pretty much before it happened anyway, He & Sue divorced, shortly after he got popped for growing herbs in his attic, "I always knew he didn't make all that money he was spending, just being an electrician & selling & buying cars/parts", he made some very questionable deals at times I went with him as back up when he went to look at cars he wanted to buy, I knew him very well , helped him build his garage/shop & many of his cars/Mopar projects, He & Sue got into the "Jet car stuff" & things got kind of weird after that, I went swimming & ate at his house {we called it Club Merm} many, many times & didn't have a clue about what he was doing on the sly, until near his death about the scumbags Oakland gang guys, he was dealing with... I know the Edgecombes {crane operators} Larry mostly, they had dragsters & DeTomaso's, Pantera's, Mopars etc., not real well but I do remember them, they were more friends of friends the Kaisers my neighbors on Jeanie Dr. when I lived in Pleasant Hill, I do remember "Fatty" Steve Leonard, he use to hang around "Speaker Head Ron" & Lori Clark {self proclaimed N20 guru, Pontiac Guy mostly & 1 of mine & Jim's racing crew members} he was another friend of mine from that area, back many moons ago, they were a kind of strange group though... I knew Rob Duarte very well from his teen years tell after he graduated from DVC & went to work for the lab, a bunch of us would go over & BS/Bench race at his house/garage while he would be working on some project or another his BBC 510 Datsun or His turbo V-6 Morris Minor, I actully purchased his pistons for his 468 FI engine in his 510, I had him replace a 2.8 V-6 in a piece of crap s-10 work truck to earn some extra money, he was a damn good mechanic & fabricator, he was a little younger than me, Scott Holman & Jeff Boggs, Fat BoB ? {don't remember his last name}, Jim Cyr & others use to be over there all of the time, Rob was our designated driver when we went out prowling he didn't drink alcohol, he was a good youngster...
Just curious these Corrado brothers, were did they originate from? Do you know anything more about them?

Funny seeing SR and Danville and 680 as me and my bud ran up and down 680 in is 318 barracuda laughing and getting high as **** all day long

You guys are older than me by a few but man I know every place you've mentioned....cool thread. Reminds me of my older cousins, one remained around Berkley even up until the mid-90s, my brother lived and worked in Benicia for a few years, rollin a sweet 56 f-100 but no family up there anymore. Bay area still wasn't so bad even when we'd cruise up there in the 80s/early 90s in my cousin's 68 firebird or buddy's 71 charger bee for concerts, ball games, and the usual shenanigans...

Just curious these Corrado brothers, were did they originate from? Do you know anything more about them?
Husband & wife not brothers, from Concord & Antioch Ca. area...

I know a lot about them & I won't share it, not here
it's not my place to do so...

Bumped for a thread about Cruising
walk down memory lane

bad punctuation, grammar, spelling & all

The 'Cruising Pottstown' thread
reminded me of this one

HS in Vallejo late 60s, early 70s. Use to cruise over to Walnut Creek. Lots happening there. Lots of cool cars. We had a Brotherhood of Streetracers at that time. I remember when the plane crashed into the mall.

HS in Vallejo late 60s, early 70s. Use to cruise over to Walnut Creek. Lots happening there. Lots of cool cars. We had a Brotherhood of Streetracers at that time. I remember when the plane crashed into the mall.
Yeah I had buddies that lived in Fairfield (Susuin actually)
& Vallejo

Fairfield had somewhat of a cruise too
Walnut Creek was great during the time I went there
like 75-85

our local street racers went to Concord, Encino Grande
corner of Willow Pass & Concord Blvd.
then fast cars after arranging a race, went up to Ygnacio Valley Rd
or slower cars up Willow Pass,
right by the Safeway Parking lot "Encino Grande"
both were in Concord Ca.

Lots of cruises in the East Bay Area back then

Yeah I had buddies that lived in Fairfield (Susuin actually)
& Vallejo

Fairfield had somewhat of a cruise too
Walnut Creek was great during the time I went there
like 75-85

our local street racers went to Concord, Encino Grande
corner of Willow Pass & Concord Blvd.
then fast cars after arranging a race, went up to Ygnacio Valley Rd
or slower cars up Willow Pass,
right by the Safeway Parking lot "Encino Grande"
both were in Concord Ca.

Lots of cruises in the East Bay Area back then

I remember there was a popular speed shop in Walnut Creek. We had several with Bailey Brothers being the bigest. I remember there were several instances where the City of Walnut Creek opened the fire hydrants and flooded the street to prevent cruising.

Morgan Machine Speed & Marine was in Walnut Creek
Tim Morgan had a BFH IHBA record holder
he had a top fuel dragster at one time too

Service Center was in Concord & Walnut Creek too

I remember there was a popular speed shop in Walnut Creek. We had several with Bailey Brothers being the bigest. I remember there were several instances where the City of Walnut Creek opened the fire hydrants and flooded the street to prevent cruising.
I remember Bailey Bros. very well...

bought quite a few parts from them

mostly GM/Chevy stuff

Morgan Machine Speed & Marine was in Walnut Creek
Tim Morgan had a BFH IHBA record holder
he had a top fuel dragster at one time too

Service Center was in Concord & Walnut Creek too

I remember Bailey Bros. very well...

bought quite a few parts from them

mostly GM/Chevy stuff

seems I remember that name. Bailey Brothers seemed to cater to dirt track racers and HP boats

Auto Transport Service
Back