• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distributor

Aron Gleason

Local time
1:11 AM
Reaction score
How hard is it to replace the msd distributor bushing with the distributor out? And what's everyone's thoughts on the fbo limiter bushings? I'm wanting to get 22-24 degrees initial with keeping the total around 34-36 degrees. 0

The bushings work well. I used to sell 10 and 14's. Lost my CNC contact.

You can make a bushing using a hillbilly lathe. Drill, mandrel and a flat file in a vise. It's how we did them back in the day before CNC stuff was more available. Spun more than a few nuts into round MSD bushings!

The bushings work well. I used to sell 10 and 14's. Lost my CNC contact.

You can make a bushing using a hillbilly lathe. Drill, mandrel and a flat file in a vise. It's how we did them back in the day before CNC stuff was more available. Spun more than a few nuts into round MSD bushings!
But can I get 22-24 degrees initial with the fbo bushings? And how hard are they to install with the distributor out?

Easy to install with distributor on a bench.

Math says yes to your timing question.

JMO, if you know what your total number should be, figure out where initial should land, install the appropriate bushing. Simple process.

Easy to install with distributor on a bench.

Math says yes to your timing question.

JMO, if you know what your total number should be, figure out where initial should land, install the appropriate bushing. Simple process
Ok thank you. I appreciate that. So what I've read is more initial will help clean up the idle and cruise, help with a stumble issue. And make it easier to drive overall.

Would it be as simple as removing the nut, washer and bushing and reinstall the new bushing? Or would I have to remove the springs and centrifugal weights too?

You can change only the bushing. The springs are simple, under the rotor IIRC.

If it still has the MSD installed garage door springs on it, there are some potential changes to make there. I've seen those huge springs not allow full advance until over 5K rpm. The strongest set up I tend to run on those is the two medium springs. Most of the time it's a light and medium.

Yeah the springs were changed out once I got the distributor. 1 light blue, and 1 light silver spring.

Auto Transport Service
Back