• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Graveyard Carz Buying Up Projects

I am just glad Darren and Long Turd are off the show.. I just love seeing Mopars, I can put up with a lot to see my favorite cars.. Been by the shop a lot, but never inside, I am on a quest now!!

Bart, youre 100% correct!
please watch the new season starting in october, i believe, and you'll be happily surprised. the goofiness has been greatly decreased, and there is just about no soap opera stuff, and theres more tech stuff. just like with their car work, they are always trying to improve the show and make adjustments to do so along the way.

a couple of things to take into consideration. the first 4 seasons were 13 episodes long. the 5th season was supposed to be 26 episodes, but with the change of staff midway thru shooting, they felt it best to end that season with 13 episodes. technically there was a season 5a and 5b. so what you saw last fall heading into the beginning of this year is the direction the show is heading, but in this upsoming season there will be even more tech and how to stuff. when the decision is made to change something the changes cant be seen until the following season because the season your watching has already been filmed in its completion.

i recall watching Ray Evernhams americana show a couple of years ago. He did an episode on a 73-4 hemi charger that a man in florida had. at his garage was a 66 hemi satellite, i already had owned that car for a year and half, thats the kind of lead time that that episode had. it isnt as long with GYC, but you get the idea.
Tony,

The Man in Florida, was that Marvin Hughes? That guy has owned a lot of cool Mopars over the years and is one of the original Mopar collectors. Does he still have a lot of stuff?

My wife asked me the other day how I could stay to watch the show with Mark constantly talking. Now this is coming from someone that can tune out a fighter jet buzzing the neighborhood at 1000 feet! I just replied that Mark is just like her friend Pam....who never shuts up and that I just tune him out lol. How many all Mopar shows are out there? I don't live to watch the show but will DVR a few at a time and watch it when there's nothing else on that's worth watching. 257 channels and there's nothin on......

I agree. Up close you will see stuff that the camera cannot see.
I was going to jump in to defend Mark. I see people that criticize him for many things including his personality. I was ready to go on a rant about it when it occurred to me that the same people that dislike him would probably dislike me as well. With that in mind, I figure **** it.
People will have opinions based on fact or personal taste. Sometimes people just can't be impressed or pleased with anything or anyone. I will continue to be who I am. If people don't like Mark or myself, BFD. You can't live your life trying to make everyone happy.

I for one appreciate your posts and personality Kern Dog....we do not wonder what you are thinking, you tell it as you see it. :thumbsup: As for Mark, it is not that I dislike Mark, I am impressed by his knowledge and skill, I just wish they would tone down the goofy stuff a notch or two. But like I said, maybe some people watch the show for the goofy antics...it is all a matter of taste/opinion.

i can tell you for a fact that not all cars done by the end of season 4 cost less than 50 grand to do,as someone just mentioned!
Also my car came home with quite a few issues but GYC did pay to have it sent and repaired at a shop closer to my house. Over all I am happy with the car after it came back from the second shop. If you want to restore your car to the extent of getting it OE judged, GYC may not be the place to go but It is cool to get to watch your car on TV.

Hi Guy
im pretty sure your car was done during season 5 with Will and Dave (the new crew) working on your car. I believe by then the cost had gone all the way up to $60k for an all parts, rebuilding of engine, trans, with no sublet fees, etc, all included in the restoration cost. Still a bargin.

like i wrote earlier, brand new cars have issues, and like you said, they were taken care of by Mark.

Honestly, who here has restored a car themselves or by a shop and didnt have any problems or leaks after assembly? Especially dealing with some subpar electrical parts like sending units and turnsignal switches

Tony,

The Man in Florida, was that Marvin Hughes? That guy has owned a lot of cool Mopars over the years and is one of the original Mopar collectors. Does he still have a lot of stuff?
yes, it was Marvin Hughes place. i havent been there, but he has been quite the collector for many years!

Hi Guy
im pretty sure your car was done during season 5 with Will and Dave (the new crew) working on your car. I believe by then the cost had gone all the way up to $60k for an all parts, rebuilding of engine, trans, with no sublet fees, etc, all included in the restoration cost. Still a bargin.

like i wrote earlier, brand new cars have issues, and like you said, they were taken care of by Mark.

Honestly, who here has restored a car themselves or by a shop and didnt have any problems or leaks after assembly? Especially dealing with some subpar electrical parts like sending units and turnsignal switches
Just trying to keep the modern daily driver junk running is a RPITA with all the China made crap. There's nothing more frustrating than installing a new China made in tank fuel pump in a pick up and after a shake down run and installing the bed, it then craps out! I go around and around with the local parts houses to find parts that are made anywhere BUT China.....and believe it or not, it's getting better. I'm thinking I'm not the only one that's complaining about it.

Hi Guy
I believe by then the cost had gone all the way up to $60k for an all parts, rebuilding of engine, trans, with no sublet fees, etc, all included in the restoration cost. Still a bargin.

like i wrote earlier, brand new cars have issues, and like you said, they were taken care of by Mark
60k.....bargain for sure....Curious? What is conveyed to the customer for this "bargain" type of restoration? i.e. type of restoration, limitations, exclusions and warranty of work?

You are correct, every restoration has hiccups but the majority of those are solved prior to the customer receiving it. The ones that pop up later due to failure of cheap repops, that is the unexpected and has to be dealt with......So are we talking about the unexpected or about poor quality control missing the expected? Clearly, two different animals......although you stated they improved quality control...Great to hear they made improvements......

As far as new vehicles go....sure some have problems/recalls but one of my new vehicles carries a 5yr/70k warranty....I can also drop it off at any dealer associated with that manufacturer anywhere in the US. In my area alone their are very few shops that will even touch an older cars like these and have the "old School" expertise of diagnosing. Everyone, here has a "nightmare" story of having their classic car in a shop. So what are these customer options, ship the car back at an added cost or gamble with a local shop.....In the end relating restorations to new vehicles is like comparing apples to oranges....Sounds good initially but the reality is they are not the same......

Simple fact: Before one accepts a car, have it inspected/tested by an independent professional....added cost for sure but pays dividends..

Didn't another shop take care of the repairs ? Who restores a car then let's another shop repair the issues the customer has ?? Just my opinion but that's not backing up your work.

60k.....bargain for sure....Curious? What is conveyed to the customer for this "bargain" type of restoration? i.e. type of restoration, limitations, exclusions and warranty of work?

You are correct, every restoration has hiccups but the majority of those are solved prior to the customer receiving it. The ones that pop up later due to failure of cheap repops, that is the unexpected and has to be dealt with......So are we talking about the unexpected or about poor quality control missing the expected? Clearly, two different animals......although you stated they improved quality control...Great to hear they made improvements......

As far as new vehicles go....sure some have problems/recalls but one of my new vehicles carries a 5yr/70k warranty....I can also drop it off at any dealer associated with that manufacturer anywhere in the US. In my area alone their are very few shops that will even touch an older cars like these and have the "old School" expertise of diagnosing. Everyone, here has a "nightmare" story of having their classic car in a shop. So what are these customer options, ship the car back at an added cost or gamble with a local shop.....In the end relating restorations to new vehicles is like comparing apples to oranges....Sounds good initially but the reality is they are not the same......

Simple fact: Before one accepts a car, have it inspected/tested by an independent professional....added cost for sure but pays dividends..

i believe the quality of the restorations that ive seen have risen to be on par with the non OE gold type restos that many of the known mopar resto shops put out, but at close to half the price. remember if the owner wants nos or restored original parts instead of new reproductions the owner would be responsible for supplying those parts like i will be doing with some of the parts going on my car.
i believe that Mark had another shop closer to the owner do the repairs instead of shipping the car across the country. in this case iirc the owner brought the car a few hours up to the other shop for repairs and Mark had it returned to the owner. that is the big difference between a restoration shop or a car dealer, and i dont feel a resto shop can be faulted for that. if that were the case then you would only get a car restored at a resto shop close to you. i would think that most resto shops would tell the owner to bring the car back to the shop and they would do the repairs, just like anytime ive had a new vehicle under warranty with an issue, i had to bring it to a dealer even if there wasnt one close to me.

even if the car is inspected prior to pickup you cant tell if there are going to be electrical problems, or if a tie down strap from the trailer knocks the exhaust loose, or if oil may start leaking, etc.

Didn't another shop take care of the repairs ? Who restores a car then let's another shop repair the issues the customer has ?? Just my opinion but that's not backing up your work.
when the resto shop is in oregon and the car is in new york, a trusted resto shop closer to the owner was used

Hi Guy

Tony,
Im pretty sure my contract said season 3 and season 4..And was advertised as season 4B... I also bought parts that GYC was going to leave on my car that were not the way it left the factory. I hope you realize I did pay more than my contract , because GYC bought the wrong wheels for my car(even though they had a buildsheet for it) and by the time I told them they were wrong they were unable to get the right ones in time so I paid For the additional set of wheels. And i paid for the dog dish caps on top of the wheels. And the addition tires.

Well whatever, (wonders how many call tony makes to mark between each of his postings) well it is what it is, I find it kinda suspicious that your chiming in defending gyc so much when people are allowed to there opinions. And if there weren't so many issues you ,mark wouldn't be so Eger to jump to respond to all the negative Post's. Just my opinion, and for the record I'm not a fan of the show, I do like the cars, I appreciate the cars guys build at home, bust there *** night after night. Not the pro jobs. Maybe you should get mark dancing lessons, or boxing lessons, or just a box of DVDs so he can spend the next year in his movie room. And not on TV. Maybe he should put more effort into his T-shirt sales. You can only watch that show with the sound off. But this is my opinion. I didn't call someone to verify my Post's. Like most shows I would like to see the real guys working when the cameras are off. And this is my opinion but if I restored a car I would pay to ship it and correct any issues the customer had at my expense, because I would think my customer would expect nothing less for his money. I hope there work improves for the sake of there customers. Like the photo I provided, I've seen quite a few and don't look at his cars anymore at the auctions.

i believe the quality of the restorations that ive seen have risen to be on par with the non OE gold type restos that many of the known mopar resto shops put out, but at close to half the price. remember if the owner wants nos or restored original parts instead of new reproductions the owner would be responsible for supplying those parts like i will be doing with some of the parts going on my car.
i believe that Mark had another shop closer to the owner do the repairs instead of shipping the car across the country. in this case iirc the owner brought the car a few hours up to the other shop for repairs and Mark had it returned to the owner. that is the big difference between a restoration shop or a car dealer, and i dont feel a resto shop can be faulted for that. if that were the case then you would only get a car restored at a resto shop close to you. i would think that most resto shops would tell the owner to bring the car back to the shop and they would do the repairs, just like anytime ive had a new vehicle under warranty with an issue, i had to bring it to a dealer even if there wasnt one close to me.

even if the car is inspected prior to pickup you cant tell if there are going to be electrical problems, or if a tie down strap from the trailer knocks the exhaust loose, or if oil may start leaking, etc.
I have about a dozen Acura dealers around me. Some next door and some over an hour away.....I can take it to anyone for warranty repair, just like my previous post stated...Again, apples to oranges....

As I stated earlier....Expected vs Unsexpected problems Customers with restorations like these either need to professionally inspect them or inspect themselves(if capable) before accepting it...That way the majority of the "simple" mistakes a shop made can be caught. Called a post restoration checklist. As far as failure of new parts, electrical etc, I would never hold a shop liable for that...worked initially but failed later....To me that falls on warranty part replacement and the customer has to pay to install or install themselves....However, getting the car home and parts are completely missing, installed incorrectly, huge panel gaps from poor fitment etc...little different

What are the warranties as in engine, transmission, differential and paint?

What is discussed with the customer about the expectations/limitations/exclusions/warranty of a 60k build? Do you know? Is that the type of restoration your challenger is getting? I think it is good information so many can understand the in's and out's of the restoration world.....More informed customer can make better informed decisions.....

I know this is off topic but I think someone should do a show where they visit people doing restoration's at home throughout the hole country, there's alot of creative,skilled people that are restoring there dream cars. Fallow them through there process and struggles.

And while the restoration cost has increased I can honestly say that it is still less than the half price of the other shops mentioned, and GYC includes parts in their price, and is about the only shop I know of that gives an All In price before the job. They don’t bill by the hour, so no surprises for the owner.

I gotta say that is enough to scare me away from the shop. An All In price sounds like a good thing, but the truth is the owner has no clue if it is or not at any shop, and when you have your shop on TV and showing a lot of *** grabbing going on it's worse.

No one wants to get surprised my more costs, but a reliable shop will contact you ahead of time and get your approval. If Mark is eating those additional costs for "surprises" it's because he's budgeted those expenses into your All In price and those of other clients, so you're not really saving any money. In fact, you're actually helping to pay for other folks' cars to get worked on.

By the way... getting back to the purpose of the post... what is Worman doing with all these projects he's buying? Is it for parts or is he creating a project dealership?

There needs to be a TV show where the guys tub and cage "rare" cars. Maybe T-Tops or vert conversions. OH!! I know....a Daytona limo. I'd watch that stuff.

I cut the cord on pay for view TV years ago. Nothing on there I've seen is worth paying for.
Reality TV equals hyperbole and manufactured drama.
Apparently this TV show only features more desirable cars. IDK.
While that may be beneficial and cause manufactures to have enough profit to reproduce certain parts, I don't see how that benefits everyone else's Chrysler product. Except a rising tide may lift all boats.
If they won't do a 74 Dart, that tells me a lot.
I challenge them to source parts and restore a 67 Charger. I'm thinking they would need donor cars.
A 70 Challenger ? Just add money.
Like hot rodding a Chevy. So easy a cave man can do it.
Give me Roadkill.

There needs to be a TV show where the guys tub and cage "rare" cars. Maybe T-Tops or vert conversions. OH!! I know....a Daytona limo. I'd watch that stuff.

I'd love to see a show where they build real racecars,
real race engines, Jerry Haas, Ray Barton etc.
or even top quality built Pro-Touring or High End Resto-mods,
not on some ridiculous time schedule either, spend time to show how,
real pricing & real world stuff, more tech. aspects &
different ways to build, tin, fabrication etc.
from the ground up, added bonus is Mopar's would be nice...

That'd really peak my interest more anyway...
Always been more of a day 2 guy, than 100% OEM ****...
I like the stuff, but been there done that, moved on,
actually enjoy/use the cars, instead of just look at them &
wax them & wiped them off with a diaper...

I like seeing the cars OE restored "correctly", but it's not my real interests...
Not sure the premise would fly, would be costly to produce too...
But IF we're going to wish, lets wish big...

Ok back on subject...LOL

Auto Transport Service
Back