• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello, Helene...you b%*%$ (Short Ed Musings, Noah-inspired)

Wow looks like we came through unscathed as compared to @CharlesCook . If I was closer I would bring the saw to help clean up. It went east of us so we pretty much missed the worst part. 11.5" of rain total. The wind is still blowing some but nothing to cause any damage.

I feel guilty.....beautiful weather here and was 64 this morning with very low humidity. Just hope everyone is safe.

Now the fun begins.

380478E0-5964-4572-A249-1545886EED2E.jpeg

294D3643-83AD-4509-A0AB-AD757CDFCC39.jpeg

4FCE0BA0-0792-496C-898D-7084D9E2C236.jpeg

F96B2582-6E3E-492E-B63B-D72E0C93D932.jpeg

343A8B81-429C-4F9E-A493-7B24A8E0A648.jpeg

Hurricane Ike left me a pretty big mess but at least it didn't down any of the trees. Beryl left a mess that was a bit less then Ike but the power company left a bigger mess a few weeks before Beryl and again right after. Talk about a pissed off person! Gotta say though that I'd rather clean up a mess of limbs etc than redo a house that floods and that's just what my last place did and 3 freakin times.

Mercy Mike, y'all getting chewed on some over there looks like. Be safe!
X2!

Wow, it can always be worse, but that's even hard to say after seeing all the work involved in cleaning it all up. Let's just say, it all blows!!! Be safe!

There are only two seasons where he lives: Nice weather and Nicer weather.
I'm a 125 miles-ish east, but we have 3 distinct seasons,
spring/summer starts in May 80*-105*-ish 5 months,
into our Indian summer extends the summer a month-ish & our
Autum-Fall lasts for like 3-5 weeks, dumping leaves, acorns & pine needles
& winter, past few (3) it's been 110+ (150+days) of it/with rain
&/or snow from Mid Nov-Mid Apr.
5 (almost 6) freaken' months of winter & 100"s+ of measurable precipitation
(like 3 of every 7 or so years, it's like that)
2 winters ago, with an accumulated 25ft of snow, where I live,

(50+feet about another 20 miles up the mountain, starting at 7,000ft)
& I'm not way up the hill/mountain either, we get lots of eastern Sierras snow
(a couple of ridges over, NE of Yosemite, 50 miles as the crow flies)
Also 'normally' we get only like "60 days" of any measurable precipitation at all
10+ months of classic car driving weather 65*+ to 105*-ish
our mild winters usually spread over like 3 months,
from mid-late Dec. to mid-Feb, maybe,
with 41"-45"s annually, averages, It's not a draught up here either...

Now down in the valley Folsom/Granit Bay isn't as extreme,
except for the heat
one in a blue moon a lil' dusting of snow, winters, are mostly rain
(still normally only like 60 days worth for a whole year)
but not of late

Last edited:
Well, I'm back finally. What a day...
First, I am VERY grateful we're safe here - it's our 22nd anniversary. Great day for a hurricane, eh?
That said, the entire region has been inundated with truly record-breaking rainfall and damage from winds.
There are multiple dam failures, mandatory evacuations of entire towns, power outages everywhere....

We lost power this morning and when I checked into reporting the outage, the system informed me that
pretty much the entire county was also out! To make matters even worse, the repair crews of our co-op
(the best crews are right here) were out there in full force in driving rain trying to fix everything - and one
casualty amongst their ranks resulted, unforunately. :praying:

Verizon had already declared a loss of service to the area before today and of course, Spectrum cable soon
followed suit as well, so communications from the home base was basically zero - so I headed out to town.
The carnage along the way was truly depressing - 200 year old trees uprooted, multiple roads blocked, houses
damaged, vehicles crushed and ALL the interstates and highways between us and North Carolina closed!!
(A chunk of I-40 actually collapsed into the Pigeon River - looked like a scene out of a movie).
I made sure the wife was ok at work and reported the power outage in person at the co-op, then headed back
home to start my own repairs...

The Trent Lane Highway Department (me) cleared trees, dug new trenches for drainage, repaired the gravel roads
and got drowned by more monsoons whilst doing so.
I got up the ridge finally and not having much faith in the restoring of power, proceeded to lay out all the power
cords in the house for fridges, computers, lights, etc. and got the generator fired up and running.
I just got sat down, soaked from both rain and sweat, with a cold drink, generator chugging away....
and the power came back on.
Sumbeech....of course it did.

It was a two shower day for me for sure, but again - wife and I are blessed and fine up here on the ridge.
No significant damage to anything, too. Just really fortunate - there's so many suffering right now.
Y'all see that hospital in Erwin, TN that had to be evacuated by HELICOPTER from the rooftop?
Holy Snikeys!

Well, I'm back finally. What a day...
First, I am VERY grateful we're safe here - it's our 22nd anniversary. Great day for a hurricane, eh?
That said, the entire region has been inundated with truly record-breaking rainfall and damage from winds.
There are multiple dam failures, mandatory evacuations of entire towns, power outages everywhere....

We lost power this morning and when I checked into reporting the outage, the system informed me that
pretty much the entire county was also out! To make matters even worse, the repair crews of our co-op
(the best crews are right here) were out there in full force in driving rain trying to fix everything - and one
casualty amongst their ranks resulted, unforunately. :praying:

Verizon had already declared a loss of service to the area before today and of course, Spectrum cable soon
followed suit as well, so communications from the home base was basically zero - so I headed out to town.
The carnage along the way was truly depressing - 200 year old trees uprooted, multiple roads blocked, houses
damaged, vehicles crushed and ALL the interstates and highways between us and North Carolina closed!!
(A chunk of I-40 actually collapsed into the Pigeon River - looked like a scene out of a movie).
I made sure the wife was ok at work and reported the power outage in person at the co-op, then headed back
home to start my own repairs...

The Trent Lane Highway Department (me) cleared trees, dug new trenches for drainage, repaired the gravel roads
and got drowned by more monsoons whilst doing so.
I got up the ridge finally and not having much faith in the restoring of power, proceeded to lay out all the power
cords in the house for fridges, computers, lights, etc. and got the generator fired up and running.
I just got sat down, soaked from both rain and sweat, with a cold drink, generator chugging away....
and the power came back on.
Sumbeech....of course it did.

It was a two shower day for me for sure, but again - wife and I are blessed and fine up here on the ridge.
No significant damage to anything, too. Just really fortunate - there's so many suffering right now.
Y'all see that hospital in Erwin, TN that had to be evacuated by HELICOPTER from the rooftop?
Holy Snikeys!
Glad to hear you and your wife are safe. Congratulations on your 22nd anniversary. I hope the rising water in the creeks stay within there banks. We have a lot of tree damage but it could have been worse. Be safe and take care.

It's going to take literally years to get any semblance of normalcy restored to so many parts of the SE after
this. I've seen many references to this storm being the equivalent of a "tsunami" in terms of the scope of
just....well, total and complete devastation. Both Carolinas, Georgia, here in Tennessee....
We're talking places hundreds of miles from any ocean that have never seen anything like this.

If it had "just" been the hurricane itself, that would have been bad enough - but we had gotten several days
of rains and violent weather prior to Helenes' arrival already (including those that packed that first-ever
twister that went right by us last week, for example), so the ground was already fully saturated.
Add in the mountainous terrain that can generate flash floods so very quickly and it's a recipe for real disaster.
At the same time, the high winds that came with Helene were busy taking down trees onto power lines
(and sometimes, just snapping power poles like kindling, something that is still a problem right around us
here) and compromised municipal water systems being destroyed and it's gonna take a very long time is all.

This sort of thing has never happened in this part of the country, simply put.
I saw the director of TDOT (Tennessee Dept. of Trans.) speaking about why so many bridges gave in and
he rightfully said that bridges are designed for 100-year events (a lot of you know what that means), but that
the levels of rainfall the region received were so insane (parts of NC had gotten over 30" in a 48-hour period!)
that it constituted what engineers referred to as 500-year events.

I can't even get my head around such numbers....all I know is that it's never happened before and I pray it
never does again. The people in this part of the country deserve better than this - and if I'm totally honest,
my heart just can't understand why it had to happen to the good and humble folks in these parts.

Auto Transport Service
Back