• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you eat your chili?

Speaking of great food besides chili, visited Costa Rica a few times while our daughter was assigned there in the Peace Corps. We toured a good part of the country, it was one of the most thrilling time of our lives, a 4WD and manual trans was a must. Anyway, we stopped in a beach front town, I think it was Nosara for lunch. A local open air cafe having pizza and mac & cheese on the menu. I hadn't had any of that for weeks and ordered it. Wow, was the best tasting I can recall eating, go figure being from cheese land and finding a little town in CR having such great cheesy eats.

All this talk made me hungry for a pot
Wow, that looks good - I'm starving as it is working all day in the garage skipping lunch. Cruel photos to post, lol.

Speaking of great food besides chili, visited Costa Rica a few times while our daughter was assigned there in the Peace Corps. We toured a good part of the country, it was one of the most thrilling time of our lives, a 4WD and manual trans was a must. Anyway, we stopped in a beach front town, I think it was Nosara for lunch. A local open air cafe having pizza and mac & cheese on the menu. I hadn't had any of that for weeks and ordered it. Wow, was the best tasting I can recall eating, go figure being from cheese land and finding a little town in CR having such
we gotta cheese factory just 1town south of us , man they got some good stuff.. the cheese curd is one of my favorites…

As I mentioned, I have a few chili cook books. I'll throw in some recipes for your amusement.

US Army Chili Recipe from the Manual For Army Cooks, War Dept. Document #18, dated 1896.

This is for a single ration cooked up by an individual soldier.

1 Beefsteak (round)
1 Tbs. hot drippings
1 cup boiling water
2 Tbs. rice
2 large dried red chile pods
1 cup boiling water
Flour, Salt, Onion (optional)

Cut steak into small pieces. Put in frying pan, cook with hot drippings, cup of hot water, and rice. Cover closely and cook slowly until tender.

Remove seeds and parts of veins from chile pods. Cover with second cup of boiling water and let stand until cool. Then squeeze them in the hand until the water is thick and red. If not thick enough, add a little flour. Season with salt and a little onion, if desired. Pour sauce over meat-rice mixture and serve very hot.

Yes, I know 'chile' should be spelled 'chili' but that's how the army manual spelled it.

I will usually eat chili any way I get it. I don’t like cheese on my chili, but don’t mind raw onions. I prefer to rip my bread into pieces and putting it on top of the bowl, but I’ll also use crackers if I feel like it. I also don’t mind adding leftover corn, peas, green beans, a pork chop, roast beef, and if I’m feeling like trailer trash, I might even chop up a hot dog. I usually eat a bowl of chili with beans, no beans means hot dog chili for me.

I also like to gauge the credibility of a coney dog by the chili the restaurant uses. Beans in hot dog chili is strictly out, but a good chili dog usually indicates a quality diner.

I was a Frito's fan but I quit that kind of stuff after heart surgery. Cut out the extra sodium I don't need.
Frito's are bad for heartburn/reflux for me, sadly....as a younger lad, I loved the chili flavored ones.

NE clam chowder any day and no ketchup on hot dogs but pineapple on pizza is fine with me so long as there are no anchovies on it!!! Fully loaded pizza and NO freakin anchovies! Heck...might have to try some chili on the next pizza.
My rule on pizza toppings: no fish (anchovies), no fungus (shrooms) and no bugs (olives).
Pineapple don't even enter the conversation. Whole 'nuther food group there.

All this talk made me hungry for a pot. I got a bag of Fritos for the wife.

View attachment 1537490

View attachment 1537491
proper.jpg
Righteous even! :thumbsup:

Crushed saltines and shredded cheese. I make my chili with lamb, pork, beef and three different beans.

Frito's are bad for heartburn/reflux for me, sadly....as a younger lad, I loved the chili flavored ones.

My rule on pizza toppings: no fish (anchovies), no fungus (shrooms) and no bugs (olives).
Pineapple don't even enter the conversation. Whole 'nuther food group there.

You and I could never go to a pizza joint together.

Aside from pepperoni, my ideal pie has all three of your most hated- 'chovies, 'shrooms, and black olives!

...and I don't mind a ham and pineapple "Hawaiian style" pie, either.

While we're at it- I sure miss Domino's "Bake Up" breakfast pizza. bacon and eggs on a pie? You bet. Delicious and delivered to your door at 6:30 am!

A story about cheese we found humorous: We visited our daughter when she was living in Miami Beach. We just arrived, dropped our luggage at the hotel and walked to a streetside Mexican restaurant for dinner. The quesadillas I ordered tasted great; the cheese had a distinct flavor and asked the waitress what kind of cheese it was. She said she would ask the chef.

When she came back to our table she said “It’s shredded.” We bust out laughing. My daughter hadn’t been in a bright mood having had a rough day at work. This was a pick-me-up she needed.

And today's Army recipe pulls us into the (early) 20th century!

From a 1909 publication called 'The Story of a Troop Mess', written by Infantry Captain James A. Moss.

"G" Troop Chili (serves 10)

3 lbs. chopped fresh beef
2 qts. water
1/4 lb. butter
2 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
3 Tbs. best ground chili powder
2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. cayenne
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 large onion, chopped fine, or pinch of garlic
salt to taste
flour and cold water

Boil beef three hours in the two quarts of water. Then add butter, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, black pepper, cayenne, olive oil and onion or pinch of garlic.

Season with salt to taste. Thicken with flour and cold water to consistency of a stew. Cook slowly for one hour and serve.

And today's Army recipe pulls us into the (early) 20th century!

From a 1909 publication called 'The Story of a Troop Mess', written by Infantry Captain James A. Moss.

"G" Troop Chili (serves 10)

3 lbs. chopped fresh beef
2 qts. water
1/4 lb. butter
2 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
3 Tbs. best ground chili powder
2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. cayenne
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 large onion, chopped fine, or pinch of garlic
salt to taste
flour and cold water

Boil beef three hours in the two quarts of water. Then add butter, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, black pepper, cayenne, olive oil and onion or pinch of garlic.

Season with salt to taste. Thicken with flour and cold water to consistency of a stew. Cook slowly for one hour and serve.
That sounds good. Serves 10. Add a 30 oz. can of chili beans per pound of beef and all of a sudden you are serving 30 with the same amount of beef, and it ads a lot of protein, fiber, iron, magnesium, and potassium.

Can't do a ladle like that, even though I've been told hundreds of times that I have a big mouth.

Auto Transport Service
Back