• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you eat your chili?

For a few years I've been eating mine with a ring of Doritos around the edge of the bowl.

Can scoop, or crush into.
I was a Frito's fan but I quit that kind of stuff after heart surgery. Cut out the extra sodium I don't need.

I was somewhat famous for my "almost too hot" venison chili at a previous employer (providing I could get venison).

I normally use a Datil pepper sauce which gives a slight sweetness, and also use a can or bottle of dark beer.

After I left there, one of my friends started having a chili cook-off.

After the second time losing to "chicken white chili" and at least one complaint from the host about "too hot", I stopped going.

Obviously those folks are NOT chili people.

That white stuff was way more akin to soup.

How's that even possible?

Basically an open faced burger, shred a bunch of cheese to smother the burger, then cover it with Chili & finally smother it with more cheese.....
Honestly, I was thinking maybe somehow the burger itself was made with chili ingredients and some never-seen-before magic happened in the kitchen. You're one of the guys around here that spins my head with some of the things you know about these old cars(that's a compliment btw). But being that simple I gotta admit, I'm a little disappointed in you man :poke:

Beef, venison, chili powder, "slap-yo-mama" seasoning, pepper, about 8 ounces of beer. plus about seven additional secret seasonings. Just enough fire to taste it. without destroying what taste buds you might have! Top with shredded cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes, and/or sliced black olives. I'm not big on onions in my chili, unless they are grilled separately and then chopped up.

Plus, it's good on Fritos or fries, too!

I have a similar recipe for chili made with SPAM. It has enough sodium to salt a Michigan road, but it is goooood! A buddy has a fantastic chili made with bison meat, which is amazing!

I'm NOT big on beans in chili, but I'll eat it, if that is all to eat.

Last edited:
I notice there hasn't been much mention of Cincinnati chili...
Supposedly famous over spaghetti noodles. A regional treasure!
Well...
Wife and I decided once to see what that was all about and bought that brand name one (frozen)
at the store, gave it a whirl and - well, I thought we'd gotten a "bad one".
It was nasty!
So as to give it a fair try, a couple weeks later, we tried it again - but no, same result.
Awful.

My sister makes a great chili and spaghetti dish that is soooo good! An we've never lived anywhere close to Ohio!

Used to dip potato chips in milk but quit drinking milk a long time ago....thousand island dressing on spaghetti but also like mushrooms cooked into the sauce and the sauce also has ground turkey instead of ground beef. Tater sauce mixed with ketchup to dip fried oysters in. Pineapple on my pizza but like it totally loaded except for anchovies. Can't stand them or sardines. Used to hate liver and onions but love it now.
Thousand Island dressing on spaghetti (?)
my dad loves that dressing
I'm half surprised I haven't seen him do that

no to my tastes, but to each their own

I like Canadian Bacon & pineapple
with onions, sweet peppers, mushrooms & olives Pizza
some people hate pineapple on a pizza
until I tried it
I thought it was weird at best too

I use tarter sauce on some sandwiches,
the dill seasoning is good with some meats

Last edited:
I'm a pasta addict - noodles - chili over - noodles..
Yup!
there is an age old question that never seems to get answered........ does chili have beans?
I like beans too....with or without chilli....also like homemade OR canned chilli.....chilli is chilli is how I look at it :D
Pineapple on pizza, ketchup on hot dogs, and beans in chili. Heresy!

New England clam chowder or Manhattan is best?

New England of course.
NE clam chowder any day and no ketchup on hot dogs but pineapple on pizza is fine with me so long as there are no anchovies on it!!! Fully loaded pizza and NO freakin anchovies! Heck...might have to try some chili on the next pizza.

Nothing better than a good chili cheese dog or Chili Cheese Burger and a cold beer.
Love a Bowl of Chili with Extra Sharp Shredded Cheddar Cheese, chopped red onions and Oyster Crackers,
and a good splash of either one of these hot sauces below poured on top, tremendous on everything.
1696884845851.jpeg
1696885217633.jpeg

Do you eat crackers or bread with your chili?
Wife and I had chili for the first time this fall. I have always have eaten my chili with peanut butter sandwiches or with crackers that I put peanut butter on one at a time. Wife says I am odd but I am perfectly happy being odd.
If I eat chili at a bar I like mustard and horseradis.
I like my chicken noodle soup with a cheese sandwich.
I like to watch and see the different way people eat popular foods. There is a small bar that I eat lunch at sometimes and they serve ranch with pizza.
I eat my chili just like you. Crackers with peanut butter on them. Our chili has beans in it, and we put grated cheddar cheese in ours. I like my chicken noodle with crackers in it and a toasted cheese sandwich to go with it.

Everything con carne w/beans
or chunky Texas style chile' w/no-beans wise,
on a tortilla (flour especially) smothered with sharp cheddar cheese is better
leftovers especially...

Yes on the clam chowdah and no on the pineapple pizza.
Don't load it with pineapple.....but just put a little bit on it unless you just can't stand pineapple.
Several old (now passed) relatives have tried to get me to like cabbage forever.
To me, it's just another rabbit chow. :)
:rofl:
Yeah, that "diet" of ol' @Cranky sort of explains his name... :lol:
Good Lord man, my gut just passed out from my reading all that!
LOL

When I worked in Queretaro, Mex there was a place called Moo Burger that had the best burgers (single, double, triple) loaded with what ever you wanted and cheese, and they made fresh fries right there in front of you. They had a chili cheese dog that was to die for. Big 1lb dog smothered in chili and shredded cheese on top. Man I can still taste it after 3 years retired.

All this talk made me hungry for a pot. I got a bag of Fritos for the wife.

1000007985.jpg

1000007984.jpg

I was somewhat famous for my "almost too hot" venison chili at a previous employer (providing I could get venison).

I normally use a Datil pepper sauce which gives a slight sweetness, and also use a can or bottle of dark beer.

After I left there, one of my friends started having a chili cook-off.

After the second time losing to "chicken white chili" and at least one complaint from the host about "too hot", I stopped going.

Obviously those folks are NOT chili people.

That white stuff was way more akin to soup.
that white chili sounds interesting but will never replace the real chili round here ….

Nothing better than a good chili cheese dog or Chili Cheese Burger and a cold beer.
Love a Bowl of Chili with Extra Sharp Shredded Cheddar Cheese, chopped red onions and Oyster Crackers,
and a good splash of either one of these hot sauces below poured on top, tremendous on everything.
View attachment 1537405View attachment 1537406
never seen old bay hot sauce round here ! i’ll have to keep a watch out …..

Auto Transport Service
Back