• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many engines have you exploded or hurt really bad????

Gladly..Not mine..but worthy of sharing.Lol
The last picture was Top fuel..Likely a fiery explosion.

Screenshot_20240618_122514_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240618_123433_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240618_123927_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
So, back in the early 80s, my 70 roadrunner , 383 4 speed, stock bottom, 509 cam 750 vac secondaries, ran great 13.8 at 102 mph.
Showing off..... nailed it from a dig and spun big time, Im guessing rpms out of this world.
Windowed the block big time, never found the rod.
Could stick two hands in the hole in the side of the block..... no more numbers matching.......

There are some people that feel that once the cam is broken in, the engine is ready for whatever you intend to do with it.
I’ve asked what miles people suggest for “break in” and read responses ranging from zero to 500 miles to drive easy.
Last few engines I've built for my personal use last year and this year Two 340s and three teeners I put cam in. Got it back together fired them up revved the hell out of them and took them out and held them wide open for a good stretch of road. I have never once lost a cam shaft. I used to do he 2000rpm BS. Listened to my dad and grandfather say break it in how it's intended to be used and by golly I haven't had a single issue lol not saying it's right but I also don't care that much I have 4 young kids and they all love burnouts so my cars get the tar pounded out of them to make kids smile

Sacrifices to the Gods of Speed as Burt Monroe use to say.....however painful they may be....

I never blew one up but someone decided they liked my 69 GTX more than I did took it for a joy ride one night called the police in the morning when I realized it was gone. A few hours later got a call from another municipality asking me if I knew where my car was I told them no or I wouldnt have reported it stolen
It was in the middle of a field fried, engine blown, gas leaking out of the 6 pac scratched dented glass broken it was a big mess never found out who took it I dont think they cared since I had it back

I never blew one up but someone decided they liked my 69 GTX more than I did took it for a joy ride one night called the police in the morning when I realized it was gone. A few hours later got a call from another municipality asking me if I knew where my car was I told them no or I wouldnt have reported it stolen
It was in the middle of a field fried, engine blown, gas leaking out of the 6 pac scratched dented glass broken it was a big mess never found out who took it I dont think they cared since I had it back
Man, I am sorry that happened, especially with no justice rendered.
Mike

I blew up the V-4 starting engine on a John Deere 80 two-cylinder diesel. These little motors are 20 cubic inches and make around 20 hp, idle at 4500RPM. They share the water system with the main engine, and it's water pump is driven by bevel gears off it's oil pump. Someone had been inside, and the bevel gears no longer engaged. As I was running it and adjusting the carb, it overheated, blew a rod, and punched a hole in a wet-sleeve. Ruined my week.

Out of all my years with dozens and dozens of performance vehicles and 1000's of passes under my belt with vehicles even with multiple stages of nitrous I have only hurt two engines. Sure, I have punched a push rod through a stock rocker, broken a rocker arm adjuster or something else here and there, but those are all quick fixes once diagnosed.

-The first was I spun a rod bearing in my first Hemi driving home one time. Slowed down for a red light and heard a slight knocking noise, by the time I got home it was slightly louder, but oil pressure was still good. Pulled the filter and it was full of bearing material. Sad thing is I wasn't getting on it or anything. Time for a rebuild.

-The second heading home from a buddies house. I stopped at another red light and my Sixpack Charger was missing like on 6 cylinders. I 2 footed it keeping it running thinking I must have melted a plug wire or 2. I drove it home for the 30 min plus drive. The next day I went out and checked the wires. All looked good. So, I changed all the wires, plugs, cap and rotor any way. Fired it up. Still missing. Oil pressure was a little low, but not bad. Pulled the valve covers and fired it up again. The #4 cam bearing spun, broke my camshaft and the engine ran all the way home on 6 cylinders. The rear 4 rockers were not moving. Pulled the filter and once again full of material. Required a full rebuild. Still in my car today with over 60,000 on it now.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back