• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many of you spoke a 2nd language.

Born in Brazil, so my first one is Portuguese, I learned English while still in Brazil but developed it when I moved to Australia. Since my wife which I met in Australia is Swiss, I ended up moving to Switzerland, so another language to learn, actually two... I can get by in German and Swiss German. Our house language is English and our children speaks three languages, as I speak Portuguese with them, my wife speaks English with them and everyone else Swiss German.

Engrish
Armenian
Spanish (California aka north mexico style!)
Brazilian Portuguese
Irish Gaelic (that one's more of a hobby)

I also pretend to be fluent in Italian, Russian, German and Greek but I really suck at those.
Sounds good to people that don't understand them though.:p

Read my story....?..
Well my first and my second language is both Italian and English, let me explain.... my parents came here as poor imigrants in the late 50s from poverty struck region of north east Italy, eating cats was indeed an option at that time over there, tasted like chicken they say...
They came here in 58 on a long boat ride like most at that time, I was born in 61, poor *** as we where, my dad worked his *** off to provide.
They spoke no English at alll.... my dad worked with other Italian imigrants and my mom went shopping with Italians...

In our houses to his day we only speak Italian! And damn proud of it!

So I can say Italiano e la mia prima lingua!

My wife...well I met her at my cousens wedding when I was in Italy back in 93, was crazy enoughf to ask her to marry me, brought her here on a fiance visa and we have been married for 30 years now
besides Italian and english I also speak Friulano, thats my moms native language from the small area she grew up in.
Unless you are native American, your people came from somewhere else!
You only think your American

Italy was settled by Greek colonists, Celts, Latins.... All you Italians think your Italian but really you're from somewhere else!!

This is America. People have ancestry elsewhere, just like every country on the planet. This may be the melting pot, but the people moving into this pot adapt and become one with America, not the other way around. Understanding your ancestors and how they lived life is important. People will say nothing is hereditary but things that are inexplicable otherwise in my opinion are.
It is well and good to be proud of your ancestors. I am. You should be too. But this IS America. It's a real place, you can find it on a map! People live here their entire lives! Everyone came from some other place if you look backwards at your lineage. Even the Native Americans.

I am fluent in Canuckian, eh! It's a lot like English, eh, but we interject, "eh" after about every 4th. word, eh. We never use the word, "people", eh. Up here everyone is a hoser, eh.

I am fluent in Canuckian, eh! It's a lot like English, eh, but we interject, "eh" after about every 4th. word, eh. We never use the word, "people", eh. Up here everyone is a hoser, eh.
Eh might be used in the most populous province EH! But the serfs in others parts of the country hardly if ever use eh. Like your answer though.

It takes one to know one. Might have to sell my 64 Polara shell like your car. Then we we would not be hoser’s?
No offence meant. I was just goofing around. Sorry. I thought everybody in Canada watched Bob and Doug.

Auto Transport Service
Back