• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JamieZ's 68 Charger

Whole lot of getting nowhere.

Fired up the car, because it had been a while. It does not run well. So I adjusted the carb a bit and got it to run less like crap, but still not well but at least drivable. The mixture screws have no effect on the vacuum so I am guessing the carb needs a rebuild. However I bought a Holley that I never put on, so I'll probably put that on in it's place. My challenger has a Holley so I am more familar with adjusting them (not to mention I already have all the jets, cams, squirters etc). Of course to put the holley on, I needed an adapter plate, a different air cleaner base/element and I'll have to do something with the fuel line.

Alignment doesn't make sense. I'm doing something wrong with caster. I might have to go with new UCA's to get it in the right range but I don't even want to think about that for now.

I tried to put the dash back in now that the booster is installed, however I got stuck trying to figure out where one of the wires went. Only to find out with a 2 speed wiper it goes nowhere. I just haven't gotten back to it.

Sounds like a frustrating project that you should just simply sell to some deserving individual........like me. :pimp_daddy:

Made some progress. Put the dash back in:
dashbackin_zps98aafb6a.jpg

I also got the adapter plate for the holley and found an Edlebrock air cleaner base/element that will fit the Holley and go under the stock air cleaner top. I ordered a piece that will let me run a rubber line for fuel. That should be enough to tune it until I can get a metal line plumbed. I'll have to fab something to relocate the coil but that should not be difficult.

The only setback this week is I discovered the brake pedal switch no longer works correctly. Apparently a swap from manual to power requires swapping the switch as well. I ordered an adjustable one which should show up next week. Looks to be easy to swap....other than being difficult to reach.

Sounds like a frustrating project that you should just simply sell to some deserving individual........like me. :pimp_daddy:

I'm sorry sir but you have met your quota on Chargers. I'll be more than happy to step up and offer to relieve the OP of this frustrating project. But seriously, what an awesome car! Factory 4 spd with air in good colors.

how noble, hehe!

Great car by the way

Google is your friend! as I couldnt figure it out :icon_surprised:

but, I do listen fluently :laughing9:

I'm sorry sir but you have met your quota on Chargers. I'll be more than happy to step up and offer to relieve the OP of this frustrating project. But seriously, what an awesome car! Factory 4 spd with air in good colors.

If everything was easy to fix, I'd have nothing to do :). It will be a nice car once I get it back on the road. Hopefully next summer I'll be able to drive it more than the 5 times I have to date.

If everything was easy to fix, I'd have nothing to do :). It will be a nice car once I get it back on the road. Hopefully next summer I'll be able to drive it more than the 5 times I have to date.

I wish you luck Jamie, I don't think my 73 has been on the road this summer anymore then your ride, sucks but there is things that has to be done, maybe next summer will be a wheel turner for both of us!!!

Boy aint that the truth! Best of luck to you and you will...

I fabricated a small bracket to better hold the gauge used on my alignment tool. The original piece allowed for too much slop and when talking about alignment 1 or 2 degrees makes a big difference. I also calibrated the gauge. Now the readings are starting to make some sense. I managed to get the passenger side within spec. Now I just need to get the driver's side in spec and tweak them to be close.

The mail brought the brake switch I was waiting for....and the dreaded Right Stuff Recall letter. I'm not sure what to do about the recall. The letter isn't very detailed as to how to ship these parts back and how long it will take to get replacements. I'll worry about it later. I did get the brake switch installed:
brakeswitch_zps59b073fe.jpg

The spindle recall has currently stopped my suspension work, so I moved on to carb. I'm sure the carb on the car would be fine after a rebuild, but I bought (over a year ago) a Holley to put in it's place. My Challenger has a Holley on it and I know how to tune it (not to mention I have jets, cams, springs, etc). I was going to do the swap last year but then I discovered I needed an adapter to fit the intake, not to mention a different air cleaner base. Eventually all those parts showed up and I managed to do the swap:
carbswap_zpsdd2542ed.jpg

I had to chase down a few fuel leaks, wire in the electric choke, and search around for an air cleaner stud that fit, but I got it installed. It runs strong Pulling twice the vacuum of the old carb and sounds much smoother. It needs the typical minor tuning to get it dialed in and I need to relocate the coil but it is nice to have it running so well.

Fabricated a bracket to relocate the coil. Nothing fancy but it was fun to use my fabrication tools for a change.
Here it is painted up:
coilbracket1_zps84af2a58.jpg

And then installed:
coilbracket2_zps8209560c.jpg

Color match is a bit off, but the engine bay is pretty dirty (as is everything else) as I haven't cleaned the car after doing the frame work.

That's pretty cool fabrication there Jamie, looks real good on there!

Yanked off my Right Stuff spindles for recall:
recall_zps9dfc3ae8.jpg

Missed getting them to the UPS store by 5 minutes because work called me.

My new P-S-T Uppers show up, but I didn't get a chance to put them on (not like I have spindles to connect them to anyhow)
newuca_zpscd486983.jpg

Class from Dr Diff got me replacement spindles in just 2 days. *I put the driver's side on and I can see for the PST upper I need to slightly relocate the bump stop. *On the passenger side I need to move the brake transition bracket. *I guess when I repaired the frame rail I didn't get it back in the exact spot. *It cleared the factory upper but not the PST upper. *Should be simple to make (if it wasn't so cold outside).

recall2_zps44457124.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back