• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My charger restoration dream car

With my door catches I took one of threewood's suggestions and bead blasted them then wire wheeled them and coated them with clear coat for a natural finish look.
door latch.jpg

I also got some more odds and ends done today including these 1/4 window caps.
quarter window cap.jpg

I have been trying to figure out how to mount my brake booster. I got the booster brake kit from PST but my car did not have a brake mounting plate. I bought one off the internet that was for a 68 charger but when I tried to figure how to mount the booster on it is too high. I feel like it needs to mount in the mounting holes one set down but the hole in the plate is too high. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I try to cut the plate to fit? Or should I try to find another plate that would fit?
b b 1.jpg

b b 3.jpg

b b 4.jpg

I had to grind a very small amount of metal away to get mine to fit also, compared it to my old one, the new one was slightly off, typical aftermarket adjustment.

Nice work! So close to the road you can almost taste it...

Love the rubber sole for a shock bushing.....just when you think you have seen it all, lol....

Wonderful world of aftermarket parts and the high quality control standards.....

Have you had a fender on to confirm it won't clear. From rhe picture I would guess it would.

Have you had a fender on to confirm it won't clear. From rhe picture I would guess it would.
I haven't got it to fully bolt up yet to find out the actual finished height but I am quite sure that it would be to high. If I
mount the booster on the firewall without the mounting plate it bolts right on the lower 4 holes and seems to fit just right. On one picture of an old 68 charger firewall I saw a different mounting plate with an oblong hole that would let the booster be bolted to the lower section. I will experiment some more with it both ways and do some more internet searching.

I had to grind a very small amount of metal away to get mine to fit also, compared it to my old one, the new one was slightly off, typical aftermarket adjustment.
I also had to ream the holes and do some adjustment to make the plate line up with the firewall.

I see where your coming from now, my car is still out for paint but I dug up this pic for an elevation, I believe the rubber boot on the power booster should slide into hole in firewall, the swivel mechanism was inside the car under my dash, that braket should be on the inside of car, heres some pics maybe this will help figure it out
20160910_100218.jpg
20170318_185430.jpg
20170318_185430.jpg
20170318_185911.jpg 20170318_185813.jpg

Last edited:
Don, your car is looking great in the paint shop. It looks like that it is coming along.
Thank you for the information about your brakes and how it is installed. I went out and tried to compare mine with what yours looks like and see if I could install mine like yours. The bolt pattern on the booster does not match my firewall. I may have figured it out. Yours appears to be the original styled charger booster and mine is an aftermarket style that looks and mounts different.
When I bought my car it was missing all of this stuff and I never had anything to look at and compare. I took off the reinforcement plate and everything seems to bolt up and fit. I may call PST next week to find out their recommendations are. What I think that I will need to do is cut out my reinforcement plate or buy a different plate. May be it was designed to be a power brake conversion from manual brakes. I may need a manual brake reinforcement plat.
Here are some pictures of mine and other pictures of what I found.
Here is my power brake system.
booster 1.jpg

This plate that I bought, it came without the 2 middle holes. I had to drill them out.
b b 4.jpg

My firewall without the plate.
booster 2.jpg

How my booster bracket fits without the reinforcement plate.
booster 4.jpg

Inside under the dash everything seem like it would hook up great with the brake pedal.
booster 3.jpg

Here is a picture I found on the internet of a manual brake reinforcement plate. This looks like what my brake mounting bracket was made for.
brake 3.jpg

well i pulled my shop manual out and there are three types of power brake set ups a midland-ross power brake and a midland- ross power brake tandem diaphram, and one for the hemi,
20170318_225733.jpg
20170318_232010.jpg
thats what threw me off looks like your on the right track with the new bracket heres a couple pics from the book. if you look at the second pic (and the forth ,sorry for the doubles) in the bottom caption, at the top of that the bracket resembles the one bolted to rear of your power booster. hope this might help to get it lowered.
20170318_225733.jpg
20170318_232010.jpg
20170318_233900.jpg

I may have that other brake plate if you want to try it.....Just cover shipping and its yours.....

Pm me and let me know....

Justin

well i pulled my shop manual out and there are three types of power brake set ups a midland-ross power brake and a midland- ross power brake tandem diaphram, and one for the hemi,View attachment 405759 View attachment 405760 thats what threw me off looks like your on the right track with the new bracket heres a couple pics from the book. if you look at the second pic (and the forth ,sorry for the doubles) in the bottom caption, at the top of that the bracket resembles the one bolted to rear of your power booster. hope this might help to get it lowered.View attachment 405759 View attachment 405760 View attachment 405761
Thank you Don for taking the time to look that information up. This does help and give me some good ideas on what I need and can do. It also helps me figure how to attach everything.

I have another fitting problem. I bought a set of headers from a friend. He said that they were for a mopar 440. I tried to install them and they hit the torsion bar on the passenger side. May be it is because I have aluminium edlebrock performance heads.
Can anyone tell me what the best headers would be for my 440?
Here is a picture from underneath with it pushing firmly against the torsion bar.
Headders.jpg

Another picture from above.
h 2.jpg

h 3.jpg

I don't know what brand these are but they are #08298
h 4.jpg

Thats a tough answer......Take a hammer and do a little denting....Just protect the finish...It has been Dyno proven that dents for clearance will not affect performance of the headers.

TTI are the best fit....

Auto Transport Service
Back