• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My charger restoration dream car

It might be due to a higher port window on the heads. Are you sure the motor mount is sitting down over the dowel. I had to fight with mine a bit to get them to seat fully on the K member pads.

the headers that came with my car had a removable tube,( don't know what kind these are, must be from the 80's, no markings or numbers that i can find anyways) and a large dent next to torsion bar, also had to lift the motor up about 2 inches to get them in , start the back bolts before the flanges made contact with the heads, otherwise they wont clear the header tube into the head flange. its like they weren't designed for headers (ha ha ). I was gonna go with exhaust manifolds for that very reason, I'm still up in the air on that one, good luck.
20170320_082915.jpg
20170320_083010.jpg
20170320_083014.jpg

It might be due to a higher port window on the heads. Are you sure the motor mount is sitting down over the dowel. I had to fight with mine a bit to get them to seat fully on the K member pads.
I wanted to make sure so I double checked and I feel that the engine mounts are snug.

the headers that came with my car had a removable tube,( don't know what kind these are, must be from the 80's, no markings or numbers that i can find anyways) and a large dent next to torsion bar, also had to lift the motor up about 2 inches to get them in , start the back bolts before the flanges made contact with the heads, otherwise they wont clear the header tube into the head flange. its like they weren't designed for headers (ha ha ). I was gonna go with exhaust manifolds for that very reason, I'm still up in the air on that one, good luck.View attachment 406201 View attachment 406202 View attachment 406203
I am also thinking of using my original exhaust manifolds.

I think someone makes a shorty header that isn't to bad.

Justin sent me the manual brake reinforcement plate and it arrived today so I had to go and try it out. Everything seemed to bolt on the way I think it should.
This style of brake system sure seems to stick out far into the engine bay. I hope that everything works as it should also.
Thank you Justin for the help.:thumbsup:
Brake plate.jpg

BP 2.jpg

BP 3.jpg

BP 4.jpg

BP 5.jpg

That booster is going to make plug changes a pain!

Awesome project 68 's are my favourite .You have some work to do but keep going looking great .
Thank you, the 68 charger is the car that I have always liked the best and am glad that I was able to get me one.

I went with a manual master cylinder for mine. Because of maybe not enough manifold vacuum & space & weight.

This post didn't work for some reason so I re-posted it below.

Last edited:
I have been going to order a vacuum hose harness, for my A/C heater box, for some time but I just haven't felt like forking out nearly $200 for one so I got the old one out to look at it again. I thought of trying to build one myself.
AC vacuum harness.jpg

The only special things that the old harness has is the plug end and color coding stripes.
AC VH 2.jpg

After cleaning it up and looking at it closer the hoses seemed to be flexible and in good condition except for the hose that goes through the firewall. That hose was stiff and felt brittle on the end that goes out into the engine side.
AC VH 3.jpg

I decided to replace only the firewall hose. I reamed the old hose with a drill until it loosened in the in the plug bracket and slipped out. Then I glued it and pushed it through just past flush then seared the end with a lighter and pressed it flush. It looked to me that that was somewhat how it was done in the factory.
AC VH 4.jpg

AC VH 5.jpg

AC VH 6.jpg

AC VH 7.jpg

AC VH 8.jpg

AC VH box.jpg

It's amazing these little things we have to figure out when doing these restorations. Looks great!

2 of the cables on the original adjustable door mirror were broken and the base of the mirror so I ordered an OER mirror from classic industries and installed it. This was just another example of how every replacement part I have put on requires at least a little custom fitting. The only thing I had to do to fit the mirror was to file the key tab in the mounting hole for the adjuster knob. There are some minor differences in looks but I am happy with it.
Door mirror.jpg

DM 2.jpg

DM 3.jpg

DM 5.jpg

DM 6.jpg

Yep there ya go. Just what I was talking about Monday. 5 min job suddenly takes a hour. Looks god though. I'll be prepared when I do mine!

I have been getting the door glass ready to install and so I thought it would be easier to get the door latches installed first. I scrubbed the latches with break cleaner and media blasted them to clean out all of the old dry grease and dirt. I then used the air hose and blew and worked all of the movement until I was sure that all of the grit was out from all the movements and clean. I sprayed lithium grease on all of the parts to make sure that all moving parts got a good amount grease.
Door latch.jpg

DL3.jpg

DL 4.jpg

DL 5.jpg

DL 6.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back