• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible blown head gasket?

With that much metal gone I would take the engine apart.
Everything needs to be cleaned and checked.

What causes that?? Low zinc oil?
That can contribute to it.....but there's lots of other reasons it could happen too. Metallurgy can also be a factor. Years ago one of the larger car makers had a LOT of problems with cams going flat. Too much spring pressure is another and improper break in can also contribute to it......

Good job of troubleshooting.
I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to hear all the details on your cam, valve train, and lubrication.
Sure. Engine was built 2 years ago. Has maybe 8,000 miles on it. 3 months ago I switched from VR1 to Castro GTX with Hotshots secret FR3 friction reducer. Figured it could benefit from an oil with more detergent. Maybe the cause or not. I will say I replaced my valve covers four weeks ago and checked all the rockers and they were solid tight. Whatever happened happened all of a sudden as there was no ticking or anything previous to my one hour highway trip last weekend.
BD012C51-1088-4A37-93B4-7885D5304C35.jpeg

Sure. Engine was built 2 years ago. Has maybe 8,000 miles on it. 3 months ago I switched from VR1 to Castro GTX with Hotshots secret FR3 friction reducer. Figured it could benefit from an oil with more detergent. Maybe the cause or not. I will say I replaced my valve covers four weeks ago and checked all the rockers and they were solid tight. Whatever happened happened all of a sudden as there was no ticking or anything previous to my one hour highway trip last weekend.View attachment 1249287
I'm thinking that the Castro GTX is still being formulated like it was in the mid 70's? Back then it had way too much detergent and not enough lubricity....and yes I found out the hard way but at least maybe it had just enough to keep the cams from going flat and I mention 'cams' because I used it in several cars and a motorcycle. The bike actually gave me the first clue that the oil wasn't doing what it was supposed to do. The freaking engines were clean as a whistle inside though!!! I'm talking about clean enough to not have to take them to a shop for cooking or sticking them into a wash vat but I gave them a good bath to make sure all of the bearing material was washed out of them. When you pull an intake and see silvery deposits sitting in the little pockets that don't drain well, you know the oil isn't oiling lol

I'm thinking that the Castro GTX is still being formulated like it was in the mid 70's? Back then it had way too much detergent and not enough lubricity....and yes I found out the hard way but at least maybe it had just enough to keep the cams from going flat and I mention 'cams' because I used it in several cars and a motorcycle. The bike actually gave me the first clue that the oil wasn't doing what it was supposed to do. The freaking engines were clean as a whistle inside though!!! I'm talking about clean enough to not have to take them to a shop for cooking or sticking them into a wash vat but I gave them a good bath to make sure all of the bearing material was washed out of them. When you pull an intake and see silvery deposits sitting in the little pockets that don't drain well, you know the oil isn't oiling lol
That lifter may have been wearing slowly over time. It may have had nothing to do with the oil change.

That lifter may have been wearing slowly over time. It may have had nothing to do with the oil change.
Like I said in my post....never lost any lifters using GTX oil but back in the 70's oil still had plenty of additives to help keep the lifters at least half way safe. I still feel that brand had way too much detergent in it. A buddy of mine told me I shouldn't use it but never gave me any reasons why....

How much oil pressure did that engine make?
75 cold. 10 hot idle. The builder used double groved main bearings And said that was the reason for the low idle pressure.

Sure. Engine was built 2 years ago. Has maybe 8,000 miles on it. 3 months ago I switched from VR1 to Castro GTX with Hotshots secret FR3 friction reducer. Figured it could benefit from an oil with more detergent. Maybe the cause or not. I will say I replaced my valve covers four weeks ago and checked all the rockers and they were solid tight. Whatever happened happened all of a sudden as there was no ticking or anything previous to my one hour highway trip last weekend.View attachment 1249287
Thanks for the info.
From what I've read here and elsewhere, detergent may have a negative effect on the ability of zinc to do its job.
A formulated race oil such as Driven seems to be the best option.
What brand were the cam and lifter's?

Sorry to see this to a low mile engine. Fix it up and make any improvements you though of.

The problem with mixing zinc in shelf oil is the detergent is too high. The high detergent oil fights your zinc additive and it can’t do what it says on the bottle.

We are not chemists, and we have zero knowledge of what to mix together. Reading labels is like reading the news, it’s all BS

Best to buy a purpose made oil for the application. Driven, Penn Grade, VR1, etc.

Thanks for the info.
From what I've read here and elsewhere, detergent may have a negative effect on the ability of zinc to do its job.
A formulated race oil such as Driven seems to be the best option.
What brand were the cam and lifter's?
Comp Cams.

75 cold. 10 hot idle. The builder used double groved main bearings And said that was the reason for the low idle pressure.
Is it just me, or is that a hell of the swing? I'm usually 40-13 ish

Personally, I’m not of fan of the “chemistry set” mix-n-match oil combo.

I also don’t like to use modern low zinc oils in these classic engine platforms.

As has been mentioned...... use oil formulated for the job at hand.

But, that may or may not have had any part in the failure.

Be interesting to see if you have other lifters that have visible wear on the bottoms.

If it’s only the one lobe/lifter, I’d say it’s less likely an oil issue.
Multiple lifters going away?
I’d be suspicious of the oil.

Auto Transport Service
Back