• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Progress report, Junkyard Dog

Great Thread! nice work matt
got me thinking now that I should remove my upper cowl and replace it rather than repair it.
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?t=10835

I can see the underside of the cowl and it seems real solid
friend of mine is an AMD dealer might just use one of theirs

http://autometaldirect.com/ShowItem/100996 66-70 B-Body Upper Cowl.aspx

Hey frogman, I commented on your project as soon as I saw it, that is going to be a sweet ride with one of my favorite color combos.
I would highly recommend to anyone restoring one of these cars to at least remove the upper cowl for inspection, cleaning and media blasting and, of course, sealing it to protect from future rust. Good luck with your garage project, if I lived near you I would be over to help in the raising, I am a carpenter by trade, don't do to much rough work anymore, but when I do I enjoy the hell out of it!:grin:

Hey frogman, I commented on your project as soon as I saw it, that is going to be a sweet ride with one of my favorite color combos.
I would highly recommend to anyone restoring one of these cars to at least remove the upper cowl for inspection, cleaning and media blasting and, of course, sealing it to protect from future rust. Good luck with your garage project, if I lived near you I would be over to help in the raising, I am a carpenter by trade, don't do to much rough work anymore, but when I do I enjoy the hell out of it!:grin:

Thanks Matt! I'm glad I read through the thread I am a transmission re builder by trade so if I can help let me know

nice build. i went through the complete thread. it's going to be one nice RR when it's done. good luck with it

nice build. i went through the complete thread. it's going to be one nice RR when it's done. good luck with it

Thanks TS5064!.
I finally got a panel welded back on the "DOG" yesterday. The passenger inner fender. It was riddled with a bunch of holes that weren't supposed to be there, so after more or less guessing which ones belonged and which ones did not, I began filling them. I did find a few pics for reference which was helpful.:grin: So here are the pics from the firewall and torsion bar crossmember repair as well as the inner fender installed. Also one pic of my steering column, before.

IMG_5109_1.JPG

IMG_5110_2.JPG

IMG_5111_3.JPG

IMG_5126_4.JPG

IMG_5127_5.JPG

IMG_5108_8.JPG

Thanks gents. I should have some paint mixed up today or tomorrow, as I have said before, I will be finishing the top of the lower cowl before installing the upper cowl, which is the next piece that I want to install up front. Work is getting in the way again, hope to work on it for a few hours tomorrow and for half the day on Saturday.

junkyard dog

Just got back from vacation in Arkansas. There is a junkyard-Junk Yard Dog in Rogers. Any connection to your project? Always interesting to know the history of a car.

Must be a nice change to have parts going back on....not comming off.

Just got back from vacation in Arkansas. There is a junkyard-Junk Yard Dog in Rogers. Any connection to your project? Always interesting to know the history of a car.

No connection, I have found out that the "DOG" came from the Jacksonville FL area, where it was raced since the mid `70's. I even have the owners name, but have not been able to find him yet.:grin:

It is a great feeling to be putting parts back on!. Yesterday I prepped the upper cowl and the drivers inner fender and began to prep the interior floorpans for installation.

Hey Matt, you got any inside line with the Admins? I want to post ****, albeit GM Chevelle **** of a car I'm deep into right now, it's not mine, a customers car...have had no time for my 3 wagons! :( but this is a $$ job!

Here are some pics of parts that are prepped and ready for install as well as the dry fit of the int. floor pan. Marked the underside of the pan so that I can prep it for install.:grin: Sure is good to see something other than cement when I look inside!.

IMG_5128_1.JPG

IMG_5129_2.JPG

IMG_5130_3.JPG

IMG_5131_4.JPG

IMG_5132_5.JPG

IMG_5133_6.JPG

I was going to ask the same question
I'm going to take my cowl off next week hopfully I'll have my shed up and more room to work.
my body supply guy asked if I was welding the cowl back on or going to expoy it back on
I'm old school what are your thoughts?

hey are you going to put any body color under the cowl?

I was going to ask the same question
I'm going to take my cowl off next week hopfully I'll have my shed up and more room to work.
my body supply guy asked if I was welding the cowl back on or going to expoy it back on
I'm old school what are your thoughts?

hey are you going to put any body color under the cowl?

Hey guys, To start, yes body color in the cowl, hopefully it will be painted tomorrow or the next day.:grin:
I would weld it on, that is my plan anyway, the cowl, that is. Although if it were epoxied on it would provide for a nice seel for that plenum, may cut down on some potential wind noise that you might get there. Something to think about.
The weld through primer soaks up and localizes some of the heat and it is really the only protection you can have in a welded seem, as far as I know.
More progress and pics soon.

good looking work matt,looks even better than factory.I hope mine will look even half as good as yours does when i get to it.

My lower cowl got painted yesterday and I love the color even more than I did before!:grin:. Here are some pics with a few different light sources. After admireing it for a little while I decided I should probably get back to work on it. I used the panel bonding adhesive on it as I had talked about a couple of posts ago. It is really great stuff to use for this particular part as it will act as a great seal for the plenum. After applying the epoxy, the upper cowl goes on and gets clamped in place for 24 hours. Will get some more done on it tomorrow morning.

IMG_5286_6.JPG

IMG_5289_3.JPG

IMG_5292_2.JPG

IMG_5293_1.JPG

IMG_5294_4.JPG

IMG_5295_5.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back