• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restomod charger pics

I guess I didn't fill them because I don't find them to be "ugly" and it makes things easier on the alignment guy "I'm an Industrial Mechanic as a living and tend to like things easy to work on". I've looked at them and thought about it but decided to leave them, I see no reason why you couldn't and agree you could just make a small hole for the break line "it's just going to make alignments a two man job". If you want them filled then fill them especially if you go with a different suspension "it would look better".

I'm still filling in holes now, so I've got time to think on it while I continue. I'm still thinking AlerKtion, or MagnumForce . . . not at that point yet. Understand and agreed on the making it easier for the alignment - but, it's not like you have to do that every weekend ? ?

Also, Did you also go through the entire compartment and weld up every seam and smooth them ? It looks like you did - love the way it turned out !

Sometimes Advil works for the headaches ( snicker ) . . .

No, I didn't like the way the shock towers looked so I welded them up and all of the holes, bulkhead, A/C, etc but didn't weld all of the seams. If you do go with one of the other setups then there is no reason not to, I on the other hand am sticking with the tried and true torsion bar haha. I think the original setup was pretty good but back then they didn't have the tires nor did they care about handling as much so I believe with a few changes it will handle just fine. I'll be interested to see how it works out for you if you go that route. P.S I don't take Meds "don't trust them"

P.S I don't take Meds "don't trust them"

Smart man . . . I try and avoid them too . . . then how about a beer ? ? ( smile )

- - - Updated - - -

I on the other hand am sticking with the tried and true torsion bar haha. I think the original setup was pretty good but back then they didn't have the tires nor did they care about handling as much so I believe with a few changes it will handle just fine

After some posts I've read from Cranky, and the mods ( stiffeners, sway bars, tubular uppers, etc ) I think that may be very true . . . but it's still a 40 year old suspension, and I'd like to believe that the technology has improved the newer stuff on the market ( of course, at a price ) . . . Still trying to decide on which way to go . . . I've got some time.

Thanks again for the input - every little bit helps.

I'll tell you what my biggest hang up is with the new suspension "structural integrity". If you stand back and look at the front end and imagine everything being bared down on just the a arms, that little frame rail and the inner fenders it doesn't seam like much for rigidity. Now if you look at the factory setup where it's spread all the way back to the torsion bar crossmember you've got allot more car holding it all. Maybe I'm over thinking it but I just wonder how these cars will look after several years of being loaded on only the front end, we already know they'll hold up for 40+ years as they were. If I were to do it I would add some structure like a roll cage or something. Here's a setup that I like the looks of. modular front end.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

then how about a beer ? ? ( smile ) Lets make it Captain Morgan and I'll be good to go.

Me thinking I really would like some Captain Morgan now. LOL

me thinking i really would like some captain morgan now. Lol

uh . . . Me too ! ! ! Please ! ! !

Actually I'm a bourbon man myself . . . unless the Captain Morgan is like the post above . . . I'd reconsider . . .

Thanks Snakeyes ! ! !

- - - Updated - - -

I understand what you're saying - The alterKtion front clip that I've been looking at has some additional supports.

Here's a good video of an install:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbU5vFWVscM

The upper control arms use the existing upper control arm mounting points, the support for the shocks actually bolts into the side of the existing front frame rails, and ties most of the "support" into the existing chassis. At least that's my view - did I miss something ? That's the reason I'm still researching the front clips. You're right that it does not tie in all the way back to the torsion bars, but the tubular arms and connecting points have unlimited adjust-ability. I thought it would be far better than the current set up, but from post I've been reading, and the right upgrades, you can get the mostly current stuff dead on - however . . . the newer stuff sure helps when your're trying to stuff a set of headers under the hood.

I'll definitely keep your point about structural rigidity in mind as I'm digging into these "new-style" front clips.

Thanks for the heads up ! ! !

Haha "yeah" he's toast.

- - - Updated - - -

Not much to share today, the wife went to San Francisco for a few days (she's a hairdresser and is at some hair thing) so I'm Mr Mom for a while. "No" not complaining, it's fun to hang with the kids and goof off but man is it work keeping up with the messes and the fighting at times. I did bring my tail light lenses to the house to tinker with, one was cracked nearly in half and the other had a few minor cracks. They are all fixed up now "sorry no pics, not much to show" I can post pics if wanted but all I did was cleaned them up, prepped the cracks for adhesion, glued them up with plastic weld and bolted them into the housing while it cured. I will however post how I'm going to fix the chrome trim for them, just about every tab that holds the trim on is broken leaving no way to hold them on "I've got a plan". I also picked up a bench mount buffer today and ordered a 4 piece buffing compound kit so it's polish time. I'm going to spend my "no spending time" getting all of the trim ready. I fixed the worst piece of trim today, this car is my first attempt at working on trim and so far "not to bad".

- - - Updated - - -

Thought I'd mention I went after some parts today and was shocked over the parts this guy had. The RR that I was getting parts off of wasn't quite what it was made out to be but has some usable metal, cowl, pillars, firewall, front subframe rails and even the front floorboards. It was the other parts that surprised me, nice 64 right front fender and trunk lid, two nice 69 charger doors, seats, trim, and more. I'll be keeping an eye out for anybody here needing parts.

I built one of my own from a old ringer washer motor 1/4 Hp and used the yellow compound, i started on one and took this picture to show before and after.. worked real well..

Road_Runner_and_Camaro_096mmn20Smal_zps3677e41b.jpg

Wow, now I'm excited to try it out. My cousin bought this one for his Harley but it was missing the washers and nuts plus he didn't have any compound so it works out for both of us "I don't have to buy one and by the time he gets it back he'll have everything he needs".

Wow, now I'm excited to try it out. My cousin bought this one for his Harley but it was missing the washers and nuts plus he didn't have any compound so it works out for both of us "I don't have to buy one and by the time he gets it back he'll have everything he needs".

Yeah, when he gets back you can let him "borrow" yours . . . ( grin )

If anyone has an extra rear window trim PM me, I actually have the two upper pieces but am missing the bottom corners and the pieces or pieces that run across the bottom. I appear to have everything else except the grill trim which I'll likely buy new.

Ooh you're going to have fun polishing trim pieces. Sore arms, busted knuckles, discolored fingers! Ahhh good times, wouldn't trade it for anything, especially when you see the outcome. Keep up the good work 7.

Wow! That is some nice work you're doing. I just spent half the night reading the whole thread.

My hat's off to you. I love your custom mufflers.

Wow! That is some nice work you're doing. I just spent half the night reading the whole thread.

My hat's off to you. I love your custom mufflers.
Half the night? you musta been bored. Thanks Sat, there really isn't much to the mufflers but glad you liked them.

- - - Updated - - -

X2 - Me Too ! ! ! They are the coolest ! ! !
Thanks, I'll be making a few changes to them before they go back on the car, because they angle up they hold water so they'll get a drain hole and the same uphill angle causes them to pollute the side of the car so I'll add a deflector back inside a bit. Probably have it done this weekend.

Well all of my polishing excitement is gone, I started on it tonight and quickly realized "I don't like shiney" so I'm going with a brushed look. I do have some questions, what in the hell is that rivet in the rear quarter corner trim for "say that 10 times real fast". I also can't find any info on whether it gets a seal, sealant or what. More bad news, none of the chrome trim like the wing window or door handle are salvageable "all junk".View attachment 151703View attachment 151704

Last edited:
Are you sure there is not s'posed to be a screw there instead? I don't think there is any seal/sealant that is to go there.

That's the way it was when removed and as you can see it didn't have to be removed to get it off. I'm clueless

Auto Transport Service
Back