• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restomod charger pics

Very cool. I just love doing stuff like this and watching how others solve challenges as well. I love how sleek the scoop looks from the side view. never have been a fan of huge blowers and scoops projecting above the hood but you have designed one that flows with the car as good or better than anything I've seen. Can't wait for the finished product. Very ingenious way you have figured to get it all done. I just love people with a "mechanical" thinking process.

View attachment 201230

From here on out I shall refer to you as "MacGyver"

Great work on the scoop man!

Haha, I loved that show when I was a kid. Thanks Prop

- - - Updated - - -

Wow. Very cool and awesome job. I can't wait to see the finished product.
Are you planning to paint it the same ghost stripes that are on the hood, or something different?

Thanks for the write up and pictures. Helps a lot of guys like me learn a lot!
Thanks, the plan is to paint it flat black then mask off the white stripes and stars and hit it with some of that textured flat black in the blue and red areas of the flag leaving a narrow stripe of the flat black in between the blue and red to separate them????????? We'll have to see but I want it all flat black but would like the flag continued onto it.

- - - Updated - - -

Very cool. I just love doing stuff like this and watching how others solve challenges as well. I love how sleek the scoop looks from the side view. never have been a fan of huge blowers and scoops projecting above the hood but you have designed one that flows with the car as good or better than anything I've seen. Can't wait for the finished product. Very ingenious way you have figured to get it all done. I just love people with a "mechanical" thinking process.

Thanks Darius, coming from you that means allot (very impressive work you've done on your owne). Glad you like the scoop, I'm like you and like them more on the low profile side and really wanted it to look like it belonged on the car.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll post a pic tonight if I get to the garage, got more done last night but with all the fiberglass floating around I could get good pics. I've got the mounting studs installed, a coat of fiberglass filler on it and the rim has been really beefed up.

That scoop looks awesome, amazing craftsmanship. NICE, Very NICE. That is going to look great, I really like the mockup wood for the concept. What color? Black?

That scoop looks awesome, amazing craftsmanship. NICE, Very NICE. That is going to look great, I really like the mockup wood for the concept. What color? Black?
Thanks, read the reply right above for the color. Like your new Avatar "Sweet motor":headbang:

First order of business was figuring out how to bolt it down, I used carriage bolts but cut the heads so it would be more of a T so they can't spin. I drilled the holes threw the glass and the 1/4" plywood under it and bolted them in place nice and straight.

DSCN9797.jpg

DSCN9798.jpg

With the bolts all in place, the high spots knocked down and the scoop all prepped I glassed over the bolt heads and put a skim coat of the long hair glass filler over the whole thing. The reason for the skim coat is so instead of sanding the scoop thin in places to get it flat I'm just filling them besides it's just more fiberglass "RIGHT".

DSCN9799.jpg

Now it's turned over and the 1/4" plywood used to create the bolt flange is cut to the same size as the scoop leaving a 1/4" recess which is then filled with glass as well. Doing this obviously thickens the flange making it stiffer and adds a little more strength to the bolts as well so they don't ever spin. I ran out of the filler for this and had to do it the hard way (cutting strips of glass and laying it in by hand). Oh yeah, notice the wax paper (always use something to prevent it getting glued to the form).

DSCN9800.jpg

After the glass cured I sanded it all flush leaving a nice flat bolt flange which was the worst part so far (glass dust everywhere). I didn't bother covering the bolts because anything you put on them would likely get glued on anyhow
and a wire wheel and a die will take care of them in short order anyways.

DSCN9802.jpg

You can see how thick the bolt flange is in these pics. It's ready for final shaping and regular body filler now but since I forgot to pick up some 36 grit for the long board it will have to wait until tomorrow.

DSCN9801.jpg

DSCN9803.jpg

Dang 747 Mopar . . . I'm itching all the way down here in NC . . . but BOY is that Scoop shaping up Very Nicely ! ! !

Your work is incredible . . . really anxious to see it in paint and installed on the car ( there will be nothing like it ! )

I take it you've done this before and if you haven't then daymn! Can't wait to see it done. You wanna make a center console for my car? haha

I take it you've done this before and if you haven't then daymn! Can't wait to see it done. You wanna make a center console for my car? haha
I made my own console before I joined here and will be making the package tray very soon if you want to see how. These pics are old and the armrest isn't on it yet but non the less it was pretty easy just takes a good bit of sanding.DSCN7416.jpgDSCN7483.jpgDSCN7426.jpgDSCN7427.jpg

I love the scoop work! I have been trying my hand at fiberglass work for a custom gauge panel....sadly the first rendition is going in the bin (as the britts say)..

I guess I should have gone back in your thread. lol Now that I see those console and dash pics I remember reading that you did them. Must be getting old haha wheres my hemi powered walker. :)

"The front of the scoop kinda mimicks the grill" That was kinda the idea and I wanted it to resemble a Challenger T/A scoop (look Dodge not Plymouth). Glad you like it USA and I'm hoping to have a fiberglass 101 post next (hopefully not one showing what not to do haha).

I haven't checked out you build thread in a while...
figured it's about time...

That's what I was going to say, it resembles the T/A scoops some...
looks good so far...

it'll be interesting to see the final product

good luck

I haven't checked out you build thread in a while...
figured it's about time...

That's what I was going to say, it resembles the T/A scoops some...
looks good so far...

it'll be interesting to see the final product

good luck

I know what you mean by "some", it's hard to do a true T/A style scoop on a shaker hood but as long as it looks good on the car I'll be happy.

MAN that's some b!tchin work on the scoop! Outstanding job and what a cool process to watch pan out, that thing is gonna be awesome!!

If I vacuum bag any of the carbon fiber stuff I had planned, would a small run of the mill shop vac work fine in place of your fridge pump? I wasn't even planning on using one but seems like some kind of vacuum bag is the way to go in any case to get a nice quality piece

I LOVE that console! What cool ideas ya find... That scoop, is going to be great, If its any quality next to your other work, you'll be on top of it im sure! :)

MAN that's some b!tchin work on the scoop! Outstanding job and what a cool process to watch pan out, that thing is gonna be awesome!!

If I vacuum bag any of the carbon fiber stuff I had planned, would a small run of the mill shop vac work fine in place of your fridge pump? I wasn't even planning on using one but seems like some kind of vacuum bag is the way to go in any case to get a nice quality piece

The only problem I see with using a shop vac is most aren't built to run for extended periods of time and might burn up? If you can get it sealed good enough you may not have to run it constantly though. Don't know much about Carbon Fiber so I'll be watching.

- - - Updated - - -

I LOVE that console! What cool ideas ya find... That scoop, is going to be great, If its any quality next to your other work, you'll be on top of it im sure! :)

Thanks Ron, I'm fighting it a bit right now to get everything looking just the way I want but I think I just about got it licked. Unfortunately the ideas usually stem from lack of money haha.........Go figure.

- - - Updated - - -

Well it's primed, not so much because it's done but it was getting hard to find bad spots so I figured I'd get it primered and let the block sanding find the rest. Still pushing for paint this weekend, boy do I hope so because all of my stereo stuff is here now and I'm itching to install it and crank up the jams.

WOW just WOW. VERY COOL!!!!
You won't be saying "wow" when you see what I did to it! After finally getting it mounted and looking at it I wasn't happy with the thick blocky look of the inlets so I chopped them off. Then I wasn't really happy with the fit either so I sawed it in half removing almost an 1" from the center, feathered the joint to a knifes edge and put it back together. It's going to look even meaner now with a more aggressive opened up mouth. Might not get it done for the Nats now but at least I'll be happy with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Itchy itchy. Looks great.

Surprisingly I haven't been to itchy but yes it is some nasty stuff to play with. I will say it's super cool being able to sculpt your own parts so I guess you have to take the good with the bad.

This is where it was before I decided to go postal on it, like I said "to blocky looking and restrictive" on the inlets. A test fit showed it was to tight for my liking (my jigsaw puzzle form may have not been tight) so I also took a good bit out of the middle too.

View attachment 202960

Here's the fix for the tray, I bought a really cool seal to seal it to the hood but I needed a 1/2 lip for it to lock onto but do to having to clear the radiator shroud my lip diminished to 1/4 in the front. Since it needed drains this was the fix, I made channels to weld into the corners which makes a good drain out the front and give me plenty lip for the seal (you can see a short piece of the seal in the one pic).

DSCN9814.jpg

DSCN9807.jpg

Here's literally a cutaway of the clearance (tight).

DSCN9818.jpg

The final fit. The inlet will be left mostly like this with the divider added back in and just a little thickness added around the opening.

DSCN9820.jpg

And Humpty Dumpty is back together again. The scoop was screwed to the form good enough to put one strip of glass on it, I pulled the screws once the glass cured and added 3 more layers.

DSCN9821.jpg

With the scoop getting close to complete it was time to limit the motor movement with a torque strap. Here it is, I just bought sway bar links, an open ball joint, welded up the bracket for the K member and turned down a grade 5 3/4 bolt to make the link.

DSCN9813.jpg

View attachment 202961
View attachment 202962

View attachment 202963

View attachment 202965
View attachment 202966
View attachment 202967

Attachments

• DSCN9806.jpg
    DSCN9806.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 220
Last edited: