• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Route 66 trip

Today, made it through…

IMG_0559.jpeg

And into…

IMG_9728.jpeg

Staying in Tucumcari for the night.
We took a cruise down the old 66 while it was dark. The neon signs here were pretty neat to look at.

IMG_8855.jpeg

IMG_8856.jpeg

Watch those crosswinds going west on I-40.

No joke.
Especially doing 75mph.
Jeepers you weren’t kidding!

Here’s a couple shots of the sky before we ran into some of them winds I believe you’re referring to.
Went from sand storm to rain storm in a hurry.

IMG_0224.jpeg

IMG_8857.jpeg

Day 4:
Started the morning having breakfast in town on the Old 66.

Here we are at Kix on 66…

IMG_8860.jpeg

IMG_8859.jpeg

Last edited:
I can't help but think of the Little Feat song "Willin'" every time I see town names like Tucumcari. :)

You'll have to get some good stretching in at each rest stop and when you quit for the night. YouTube has lots of physical therapy videos in the subject. Also, check out the videos on how to best adjust your driver's seat to prevent ergonomic issues like stiff neck and shoulders and headaches.

You'll have to get some good stretching in at each rest stop and when you quit for the night. YouTube has lots of physical therapy videos in the subject. Also, check out the videos on how to best adjust your driver's seat to prevent ergonomic issues like stiff neck and shoulders and headaches.
Don’t sit with a full wallet in your back pocket.

Plymcrazy, you may have dodged a bullet (No puns intended)! The tram on the north leg of the Arch stopped about 100 feet from the bottom yesterday. It sensed a cable problem, activating the automatic brakes. People were trapped for about two hours until crews got them out of the cars and they exited via the stairs. That tram is idled until parts arrive. I imagine many parts for that must be made as needed as those are the only ones built and the builder has been out of business since the mid-70s.

Plymcrazy, you may have dodged a bullet (No puns intended)! The tram on the north leg of the Arch stopped about 100 feet from the bottom yesterday. It sensed a cable problem, activating the automatic brakes. People were trapped for about two hours until crews got them out of the cars and they exited via the stairs. That tram is idled until parts arrive. I imagine many parts for that must be made as needed as those are the only ones built and the builder has been out of business since the mid-70s.
That's not the first time it's happened. I won't go inside just for the view. That thing is 60 years old.

Duly noted sir. I live a very active lifestyle and do my best to maintain that whenever we’re on the road as well. I got myself to the local gym before we hit the road again today. But the stretching and proper seat adjustment can easily get overlooked as you alluded to.

Don’t sit with a full wallet in your back pocket.
Good advice. I stopped doing that years ago. Front pocket always these days.

Wow, sure did and glad we got the opportunity when we did then. We’re traveling with some folks that may not have enjoyed that experience nor the stairs LOL.

Last edited:
While there we made a stop to the Petrified Forest National Park.
Here’s mama and I in front of the Painted Desert…

IMG_9881.jpeg

IMG_8882.jpeg

Last edited:
Part of the old Route 66 used to run right through that Petrified Forest.
An old 1932 Studebaker sits permanently marking a section the 66 used to run through.

IMG_8937.jpeg

IMG_8935.jpeg

IMG_8936.jpeg

IMG_8938.jpeg

We’re back on the road now.
We have reservations at an RV spot in the Grand Canyon.
Hoping to get there tonight.
We plan on spending at least a couple of days there.

Here’s a few more pics from today…

IMG_0021.jpeg

IMG_9958.jpeg

IMG_8974.jpeg

IMG_8973.jpeg

IMG_8972.jpeg

Last edited:
There are 11 Route 66 Museums. 3 are in Oklahoma.
Each one has a slightly different slant on Rt 66. We had a group go from San Diego back in '22. Started with 6 cars and 3 went all the way to Chicago and back. The other 3 had commitments and had to turn back at different points along the way. my wife and I turned around in Tulsa.

Jeff

Auto Transport Service
Back