• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To rebody or not to rebody

chrisd

Local time
12:18 PM
Reaction score
So I'm reading the post on "interesting A-12 for sale" and it turns into a discussion of what constitutes a "rebody" or is it right to move a VIN tag. I heard some angles I haven't heard before like what if I cut this and that out to put it into my car. I'd like to have have some opinions on the matter. Some people seem to think it's illegal, some seem to think it's not because they've used parts from another car and that makes it ok.Where do you draw the line then?My opinion is: If you take a Belvedere or Charger and turn it into a GTX or Daytona because you found a VIN tag from a dead car beyond repair, that does not make you have a GTX or Daytona. That makes you have a Belvedere or Charger with GTX or Daytona parts. If you've got a Belvedere, call it a Belvedere. Put a Hemi or a 440 in it, fix up the interior, the body, put GTX badges on it, but you still have a Belvedere. Some even suggested that some have the right to do a VIN switch. I've seen the VIN switching before. In a chop shop. That's my opinion. Let the debating begin.

In Texas, it's illegal to rebody a car....

I would imagine that I posted maybe this on the other frum you are referring to, if not here are both sides of the "ETERNAL REBODY ARGUEMENT."

I will do my best to present all I know to be the OPINIONS and FACTS of BOTH sides of this controvery, so that in the future anyone interested in the subject can read this in the archives and let this post do the arguing for them.

Here we go.

FOR THE PEOPLE THAT BELIEVE REBODYING IS WRONG

Many people in the hobby feel that there is a big difference in the way people "restore" a car, ESPECIALLY a unibody.

They believe that the unibody is the core or soul of the car.

They believe that when the car was created by the manufacturer, that the numbers that were assigned to that particular unibody, and the assortment of parts that were assigned to and installed on it to create the model they were disignating are sacred. That no one else outside of the manufacturer has the right to do a V.I.N. switch (which did happen when these cars were new before they ever left the final assembly line) on any of these cars for any reason.

They believe that IF the car is what they consider to be salvagable by repairing existing body parts or installing new, reproduction, or good used parts, that is the only legal/ethical way to restore the car and maintain the heritage/originality of the car that the original manufacturer built.

They feel that when a car is rusted/damaged to the point that there is little left of the original unibody that the car should be scrapped and taken out of existence.

They believe this is not just a matter of legalities but also a matter of ethics.

They believe that even if it IS legal on a Federal level and in many States, that it is still unethical and morally wrong.

They feel that restoration by rebody is NOT a restoration at all but rather a fraud created on the hobby and any line of ownership after the rebody takes place.

They feel that even when disclosure is made by the party that did the rebody, to the next person that purchases the car, that it is still unacceptable. They feel that it is all to likely that somewhere down the line in years to come with the ownership changes of the car that this will NOT be disclosed to future buyers.

Many are adamant about their belief that switching V.I.N. tags to another similar car/unibody and associated hidden I.D. numbers is just plain wrong, legal or not. Regardless of how CORRECT the car may appear, with all of the correct componants that the factory would have installed on a like unibody, it is not the same as when the factory did it, and that THEY (the original manufacturer) are the only ones that had the right to do so.

They consider all rebodies to be nothing more than a clone with the identity numbers from another car.

They believe that a registry of any KNOWN rebodies and any SUSPECTED rebodied should be kept for any future buyers to be aware of to aid in their buying decision.

Before we go to the other side of the arguement, the below information needs to be considered.

THE CATCH 22

Most feel the real problem is that there is no definition of where the line is with regards to the restoration of a unibody car.

At what point does the car cross the line from what has been described above as a restoration rather than a rebody?

How much of the original unibody has to be left for new, reproduction, or good used parts to be attached to?

How big of a CHUNK of a donor car can you use in this restoration before it is considered a rebody?

Does the simple act of removing the V.I.N. plate from one car or part of the car constitute a rebody?

What about removing the V.I.N. plate because the part of the car that it is attached to is damaged? Does this constitute a rebody?

Does a car that was front or rear "clipped" by a bodyshop 30+ years ago constitute a partial rebody?

If a car was first FRONT clipped and a year later REAR clipped, does this constitute a complete rebody?

All good questions with no answers that probably any two people will agree on.

This is why so many people have mixed feeling about the restoration/rebody arguement.

FOR THE PEOPLE THAT BELIEVE THAT A REBODY IS AN ACCEPTABLE FORM OF RESTORATION

These people do not believe the car or unibody has a soul, or that the car is sacred. They do not hold the manufacturer in a Godly manner and assume that none of the factory line workers were any kind of Saints.

They believe that the base unibody is the same for a given car line (e.g. "A", "B", "C", or "E" body) and it is just an assembly of parts added to this base unibody that creates the particular price class. These are terms that Chrysler created for their cars.

These people believe that IF the manufacturer had the right to switch V.I.N.s of a car that they built, that an individual has the same right, provided that they legally own both cars involved in the rebody.

The manufacturer did this in the interest of "saving" a car, rather than scrapping it, for purely financial reasons. If they mistakenly built a car that somehow did not meet the criteria of what the V.I.N. model designation indicated, they took the path of least cost to convert it to a different model and made a V.I.N. plate switch that reflected that. Did you ever wonder why the HIDDEN V.I.N. numbers don't have the FULL V.I.N. stamped in them? It left flexability for the manufacturer to make V.I.N./model changes when the car was near completion.

The people that believe in rebodying, do so for the same reason, because it is financially less costly.

These people also sometimes do so in the interest of safety when they have a car that they want to save that may have serious body deformation or serious rust problems in the unibody.

These people believe that they are also saving the heritage of the car by doing so.

These people feel that it is better to have a donor car that is as the factory built, and without damage, to transplant the parts that were factory installed specific parts that made up the identity of the car they want to save.

They believe that it is legal on a Federal level and cite the Federal Law from the Cornell University Law Library in the link below as their proof.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sup_01_18_10_I.html

These people argue that in a State that considers rebodying a car is illegal, don't think that State law would hold up against an appeal to a higher court.

They believe it would be pretty obvious that if a State court ruled it illegal when the person that did it OWNED both cars legally, the defending party would arguing "intent," indicating that if the State law was upheld in this case, that it would be appealed to a Federal court. With this information in front of a judge (who is certainly smart enough to understand the "intent" of the law was to thwart chop shops) would rule in favor of the person who did the rebody. It would certainly be overturned in a Federal court. Not to mention, it would have to PROVEN that the rebody was DONE in the a State that it was against State law, and have an eye witness that actually saw the numbers switch take place in order to "prove" that the seller actually did it. It probably would not even get to trial and would be thrown out at the initial hearing. Court systems are overloaded throughout the US with trials that are far more important that someone doing a restoration (rebody) of a car that involves a donor car that the parts could have been switched in either direction. The whole thing is way too subjective with regards to where the line is, as indicated in the CATCH 22 section above.

They believe what you are talking about here would be a criminal suite, not a civil action. Anybody can sue someone and get a trail for a civil suite, but it is a whole other story when you are talking a criminal action.

These people believe that the people on the other side of this controversial subject, do their best to impact the value of a rebodied car in a derrogatory manner. This leads to it NOT being disclosed in most cases and will continue to be the case until such time that these cars are not looked down upon by some, but not all, in the hobby.

MY PERSONAL OPINION

In closing, rebodying has been going on in the entire hobby not just the Mopar world since the 30s. It is not going away, especially with prices on the continual rise for the cars it is being done with. If people want to really DO something about it, they should be trying to formulate a definition that will be accepted THROUGHOUT the hobby, of at what point a restoration becomes a rebody as indicated in the above catch 22 section of this post. This will give these two sides an entirely different thing to argue about rather than the legal/ethical issues that have been never ending.:icon_axe::icon_axe::icon_axe:

Not a fan of doing this. It's not the issue that if you personally do it and sell it to someone with full knowledge of what you did. It will then be sold to someone who get's screwed and on and on. This just happened to a guy on the Charger forum site. He is feeling so violated and used and now feels like his car is a parts car. I can feel his pain because it almost happened to me. Too many dishonest people in this hobby.

I will not debate the subject matter,it is different strokes for different folks:bootyshake:In my opinion,it is the buyers responceability to verify what they are buying.In a perfect world the seller would not misrepresent,yea,,,,,,,,,right!!I have been in the automotive biz for 40 years and have seen some incredibly perfect body work,and plenty of bad.If no one can determine if a rebody was performed,is the car what the VIN says it is??Buyer beware:icon_rambo:Hopefully this time the thread can live.:happy1::icon_scratch:

I'll have to search harder for the previous thread on the subject. I cannot agree with the idea that it's all in how one feels on the matter. I do agree the buyer has the responsibility, but when something affects the hobby, well how does that not affect a car owner. My thought is what makes a Daytona or Superbird the real thing? A 3 inch piece of metal that holds a number? Blantantly removing a VIN tag and putting it on another car should be a felony if it isn't already.

It's exactly for the above reasons/arguements, that I decided to "modify" an original 318 Coronet into a 440/500 Super Bee clone/tribute. I knew what the car was when I started the build, and I know what went into it during the build. A simple galnce at the ORIGINAL vin will denote to others what the car was/is? Hopefully, people will be able to see beyond that, and appreciate the car for what it became. Too many fugazy's out there. Here in NYC people have been tagging cars for years! Me personally? I choosed to build a dream car. At the expense close to the cost of a true Bee. When completed with today's improved upon components, will be better than the "original/legit" version. But hey, that's just my opinion. And we all know that opinons only matter to those who possess them. Nevertheless, a GREAT topic being addressed here! When I purchased my "tribute" the guy who sold me the car, offered me a matching vin and fender tag for a well-optioned WM23 with title. I didn't hesitate in declining his offer. I rather have saved a Coronet, than to have created a bastard.

Last edited:
...I purchased my "tribute" the guy who sold me the car, offered me a matching vin and fender tag for a well-optioned WM23 with title. I didn't hesitate in declining his offer. I rather have saved a Coronet, than to have created bastard.

Glad to hear there are some more on my side.

Quick and dirty - If you rebuild the car with a different model's parts/engine, etc, and keep the original VIN, it's a clone, tribute, or whatever you want to call it, and is okay. If you do the same and swap the VIN with a VIN from the type of car you are turning it in to, it's an illegal Re-Body and the person should be shot.

Darryl, you stole some of my thunder lol. I usually bring up the idea of cars having been "clipped" back in the day. And back then it was more than acceptable. The question about "clipping" comes in when you get in to BOTH ends having been clipped.

Theoretically, it's still the original car. But is it really? But I think it's a very different thing than taking numbers off one body and putting them on another.

I think I agree that taking vins and fender tags of a car and putting on a clone is just plain shitty whether the buyer knows it or not. 4 example we have a 71 cuda that comes out originally plum crazy w/ a 318 the car is now moulan rouge pink, has a 440-6 pack, and added a/c and now has a vin and fender tag that says the same, someone who wouldnt know any better would end up paying out there *** 4 this thing and never know what they really have,until they have a crazy numbers guy run there car and find out they paid 25K to much 4 it.I am not a fan of many clones and if it is, say its a clone,nothing wrong w/ making a car what u want it to be, but it is wrong to B.S. someone about what it is. Thats the kinda **** that gives the entire car scene a bad rap.

Changing vins on a car is totally wrong....It is illegal here in calif....Tweekers and dope dealers are the ones that do this...I,d be highly p.oed if I got a car that was,nt right...
Petty Blue 67 GTX:evil5::thatswck::thatswck::eusa_naughty::eusa_naughty::eusa_naughty:

I'm not getting into " shitty " or anyother side of this debate . However , I did watch a show last weekend and that very topic was discussed . The way that a manufacturer got by with " rebodying " a car was under the close scrutiny of the FBI . It was actually stated that there was an actual FBI agent standing on the assembly line watching that " manufacturer " " rebody " all the cars that they were doing it to . Said that also the original matching numbers were under 1 of the front fender cap mounts . Just something that I thought I'd throw out there .

Darryl, you stole some of my thunder lol. I usually bring up the idea of cars having been "clipped" back in the day. And back then it was more than acceptable. The question about "clipping" comes in when you get in to BOTH ends having been clipped.

Theoretically, it's still the original car. But is it really? But I think it's a very different thing than taking numbers off one body and putting them on another.

Yeah, that is just one of the examples.

I think my post should be a sticky and when the subject comes up again they can be referred to the sticky and shut down the new post. My post gives both sides of the issue and does the arginging that everybody ends up posting in this relentless subject.

I think I agree that taking vins and fender tags of a car and putting on a clone is just plain shitty whether the buyer knows it or not. 4 example we have a 71 cuda that comes out originally plum crazy w/ a 318 the car is now moulan rouge pink, has a 440-6 pack, and added a/c and now has a vin and fender tag that says the same, someone who wouldnt know any better would end up paying out there *** 4 this thing and never know what they really have,until they have a crazy numbers guy run there car and find out they paid 25K to much 4 it.I am not a fan of many clones and if it is, say its a clone,nothing wrong w/ making a car what u want it to be, but it is wrong to B.S. someone about what it is. Thats the kinda **** that gives the entire car scene a bad rap.

The A/C would have been a big red flag to any buyer as it was never available from the factory on any six pack car.

Just for the record, back about 4-5 years ago there was a Black 1970 Hemi Cuda at Barrett Jackson that they announced on stage BEFORE the bidding began that the car was a rebody because the original car had been the victum of a garage fire. GG was on the sales stage when this took place and it was televised on SpeedWorld. The car sold for I believe $600K. So obiviously it made no difference that it was rebodied to at least TWO people in the world at that time.

Last edited:
696pack;you bring up some great points. I wish I had saved the fender tag from the Faubel car;not for another 440 body that I may find,or have found,but to keep as a bit of a memento,and possibly to have someone like Galen verify it as Bud's car. The car was very rough when I had it,but WAS restorable. The body would have needed a new floor pan,the inner front fenderwells repaired(re-body time?),and the aluminum front clip found and re-installed. Hell,I had a date-correct complete Stage III intake assembly that was a good start for the engine assembly,and more cool stuff. Oh well...

I now wonder,if that car ever re-appears(and is claimed to be Bud's first '64 car),if IT would be a "re-body"? If that tag got removed,it could appear on another 440 body. There's only a few folks that could verify that fact,and I'm one of them.

All you cats bring up good points on this;make this a sticky thread,please.

As included in my post above, I think THIS is the real arguement.

THOSE THAT DON'T BELIEVE IN REBODING

"They believe that when the car was created by the manufacturer, that the numbers that were assigned to that particular unibody, and the assortment of parts that were assigned to and installed on it to create the model they were disignating are sacred. That no one else outside of the manufacturer has the right to do a V.I.N. switch (which did happen when these cars were new before they ever left the final assembly line) on any of these cars for any reason."

THOSE IN FAVOR OF REBODING

"These people believe that IF the manufacturer had the right to switch V.I.N.s of a car that they built, that an individual has the same right, provided that they legally own both cars involved in the rebody."

Weather it was a /6 or a Hemi they all started out as the same unibody with just the appropriate bolt on or welded on parts. What is the difference WHO does it if you are replacing old rusty or bent parts or the entire unibody as a whole for your existing car? When the factory made a mistake with a particular model they didn't scrap it and start over, they salvaged what they had built and simply re-V.I.N.ed it as to what they had built. Not any different than what wreck rebuilders do today when the graft two cars togather and use ONE of the two V.I.N.s from the two donor cars which is perfectly legal.

Last edited:
Weather it was a /6 or a Hemi they all started out as the same unibody with just the appropriate bolt on or welded on parts. What is the difference WHO does it if you are replacing old rusty or bent parts or the entire unibody as a whole for your existing car? When the factory made a mistake with a particular model they didn't scrap it and start over, they salvaged what they had built and simply re-V.I.N.ed it as to what they had built. Not any different than what wreck rebuilders do today when the graft two cars togather and use ONE of the two V.I.N.s from the two donor cars which is perfectly legal.

You take this to any DMV and if your not a licenesed rebuilder and try to convince them that you have every right to what your gonna do anyway , and the State police or whatever entity that governs your DMV will be knocking on your door asking to see everyone of your vehicles . And , if they so much as find 1 vin tag missing , or in your tool box , or where ever and your going to jail. period . I guarantee it .

Picture this:
You find the Mopar of your dreams, a 69 Hemi Whatzit, sitting in a pasture where it was parked in 71. You ask the owner of the farm if you can take a look at the old Dodgmouth out back and he says "look all you want. I'd sell it to ya fer $235." You try to hide your enthusiasm when you discover that this car is 100 percent numbers matching and still even has the window sticker in the glovebox. You quickly make the purchase and excavate whats left of this rare car and trailer it home. This thing is a friggin mess. Every piece of sheetmetal needs replaced, the frame sagged 20 years ago, and the roof is even rusted through. You are thinking of writing this one off, but your research leads you to find that this car is the only 69 Whatzit to be equipped with both the Hemi and green bench seat interior. Rarer still is the fact that it was painted toilet seat pink from the factory, a special order color.
Then you find her rust free southern twin on Ubuy. Friggin identical except that it has the slant five and was painted nipple brown. Your clicker finger is quick, and you snipe the other bidder. Once you have that Whatzit in your garage, it occurs to you how simple it would be to do a switcheroo. Besides, the five cylinder car has no paperwork, so if you don't do the presto-chango-vin deal you are stuck with 2 parts cars. Knowing that 69 Whatzits are hard to find in your part of the country, and are always either basket cases or cost 80 gigillion bucks, it would be sinfull to scrap 2 of them instead of making one good one from the two.

For my money, of which there is almost none, I would sooner know that my Whatzit was made from all Chrysler sheetmetal welded together by Chrysler according to their specs. People take junk and buy roof, firewall, cowl, and quarters from AMD, rust free framerails from a Texizona salvage yard, doors from ebay, fenders from 2 different vendors at Carlisle, and torque boxes from auto rust technitians. Then they have billybob weld it all together and jimbo paint it. And it is an acceptable restoration even though there is only a six inch square of original metal left. I don't have a problem with that. I also don't have a problem with the guy whose car is more original but has been rebodied, provided that the car has a vin that came from Chrysler, even if on a different car. You are not building something which never existed.

Dirtbags who alter Vins and fendertags, that is another story entirely!!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back