• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do today....other than work on your car!?

So? How do you like working with the steel framing? Any real advantages while working with it that you can see?
it has its pros and cons, metal is straight, fireproof, lightweight, fast, weight saving, and good for low clearances. will need to add wood for nailers if using wood trim (they do make finish screws though, kinda a pain in the ***) metal is more expensive, about $10 each, for 8' studs, so not very cost effective as of now. It follows the wood market after increases, never seen it go down in price. I've been metal framing for 30 years, it has its learning curve like anything else. Bought these studs for cheap about 10 years ago. guy had them on craigslist for sale. 2200 of them for a dollar a piece. He asked how many I wanted I said all of them. I have about 1100 left still. wood would be alot cheaper in todays market, but I got the hook up on metal.

Disassembled a pair of 65-72 Kelsey Hayes, A body, 4 piston, disc brake calipers, for rebuilding, what i will be needing in the way of parts replacement.
Cleaning them up, soaking everything in the 5 gallon pail of Evaporust.

Enjoying this nice weather low 60’s this morning and another zero turn I bought as a spare over a month ago in case of a breakdown as you can only carry so many switches, bearings, belts and blades. The more I use it the more I like it…Scag 29hp Kawasaki 61 inch cut only had 340 hrs on it as it was only home owner use. Still prefer my front mount Grasshoppers as these mid mounts have ZERO traction going down hills you have to back down and drive up. It cuts wet grass very nice, comfortable ride, holds lots of fuel and flies doing it. Only bad thing is the seat doesn’t breathe since nice it’s vinyl so you sweat when it’s hot out.

IMG_3920.jpeg

IMG_3921.jpeg

it has its pros and cons, metal is straight, fireproof, lightweight, fast, weight saving, and good for low clearances. will need to add wood for nailers if using wood trim (they do make finish screws though, kinda a pain in the ***) metal is more expensive, about $10 each, for 8' studs, so not very cost effective as of now. It follows the wood market after increases, never seen it go down in price. I've been metal framing for 30 years, it has its learning curve like anything else. Bought these studs for cheap about 10 years ago. guy had them on craigslist for sale. 2200 of them for a dollar a piece. He asked how many I wanted I said all of them. I have about 1100 left still. wood would be alot cheaper in todays market, but I got the hook up on metal.

I was under the impression metal was a LOT cheaper and that's why the industry went to it about 25 years ago.

What I do know is that metal studs SUCK if you need to nail or screw or hang anything to it or on it after the drywall is put up.

The father and law and I have officially called it quits after some 38 years since coming up with "a plan" one rum soaked night in '85. If you have ever wanted to get in to the plastic injection moulding business, on the cheap, here's your chance. Buy everything and the 36,000 square foot building on 4 gated acres and just carry on or take what you need and run. Now back to fishing.... lol

Simulcast Public Retirement Auction | Georgian Bay Plastics

i've been building a metal framed gate and fence gate for yard entry on my rental driveway with 3/4x8x72 dog ear'd cedar planks fencing . i did the same type gate fence on another property my dad left to my sister . so it's 2x2 11ga wall box tube 60'' tall x 40'' wide gate it weighs out at 63 lbs just the frame and a 3x3 1/4 wall 9' post 30'' , 14x30 hole cemented in the ground, made my own hinges from 3/4 sch 80 pipe barrels with 3/4 pins . and 3x3 1/4 wall angle iron for the hinge bodies . there made to fold open and be within the post with . the fence gate is made from the same matls 2x2 steel tube on a 4x4 1/4 wall box tube . and the handles and pin lock in the ground , not the other side of the fence gates , and that fence gate has a pin drop in the ground as well . yes this in way heavy duty . but i'm not going to build this again every , lol . sorry no pics , can seem to get my camera to down load any pics . got them in my phone so if any wish to see this build pm me and give me a number to text them too .

I was under the impression metal was a LOT cheaper and that's why the industry went to it about 25 years ago.

What I do know is that metal studs SUCK if you need to nail or screw or hang anything to it or on it after the drywall is put up.
ya they do, but in a commercial application in can be faster more accurate and better framing fastening applications, backing is usually put in for cabinets etc. and there are some different types of hangers that work well, but a single screw in a stud for support uhh no. there are other metal product such as the hat track that is laced on my shop ceiling spanning the roof perlins they can span 4 or 5ft areas and support drywall etc. it has its applications. another cool product is drywall grid systems, same as an acoustical suspended ceiling, that hangs off wires, but the faces are wider and can support drywall or any other sheeting etc.

F'n junk. Got 3.5 years this time. First one I made them change after 2. On my dime this time so a 1000A x 27 length is going in this time if I can get the truck 60 miles to do so. Dead at the boat launch as of now.
20230904_111507.jpg

Batteries ain't what they used to be, either.

Mower battery wouldn't start the mower last week and again this week.
Bought in May of '21, so it's 2.5 years old.
First one that came with the mower in '04 lasted 10 years and they have been getting progressively shorter and shorter lives.

Grrrrrrr.

Actually i packaged up, in 4 USPS, large, flat rate box's, of all the 100%, all there, complete, 65-72 A body, Kelsey Hayes, disc brake system, that i rebuilt, that sold over on the A bodies site.
It takes some time, as i package securely, to survive a bomb, from the USPS people in getting things from point A, to point B, in this day and age.
My buyer will have his cashiers check in my mailbox, tomorrow, or Wednesday.
Now everything's ready to go, for me to get to the post office.

...checked out Stacy's Mom....

:bananadance:

Hope you're not planning to roll an engine on a hoist across that floor.

Visiting my mom and step-dad. Went out for a sunset cruise after the holiday tourists went home and the lake calmed down.

20230904_194010.jpg

I sat my *** on the beach all weekend, listening to musicians at the Tikibar playing Jimmy Buffett songs and tipping some cold ones until the sun went down!

20230902_161925.jpg

20230902_165029.jpg

20230902_170522.jpg

20230902_165033.jpg

20230904_183238.jpg

20230904_185215.jpg

Fixed the other french door leg.
...and ripped another firring strip.
...and replaced a GFI that had a fire.
...and installed a microwave and recep.
...and plugged another tire.
...and fed some squatters at the shop.
20230902_140728.jpg

20230902_150728.jpg

20230903_111733.jpg

20230903_111729.jpg

20230904_184344.jpg

20230902_151930.jpg

It IS starting to come together-

20230903_111925.jpg

A buddy of mine passed away a couple of weekends ago and I'm trying to help her out getting a few things done. He was a major hoarder and admitted it and she's having a hard time getting things done because of the place is so packed. Just don't understand that stuff. Might can get a pic of the garage and back yard later on as I'm about to go over there in a bit unless she's hung over. Yeah, she's a sot. Hard to believe they stayed together so long as he quit drinking years ago but she picked up more....

i've been building a metal framed gate and fence gate for yard entry on my rental driveway with 3/4x8x72 dog ear'd cedar planks fencing . i did the same type gate fence on another property my dad left to my sister . so it's 2x2 11ga wall box tube 60'' tall x 40'' wide gate it weighs out at 63 lbs just the frame and a 3x3 1/4 wall 9' post 30'' , 14x30 hole cemented in the ground, made my own hinges from 3/4 sch 80 pipe barrels with 3/4 pins . and 3x3 1/4 wall angle iron for the hinge bodies . there made to fold open and be within the post with . the fence gate is made from the same matls 2x2 steel tube on a 4x4 1/4 wall box tube . and the handles and pin lock in the ground , not the other side of the fence gates , and that fence gate has a pin drop in the ground as well . yes this in way heavy duty . but i'm not going to build this again every , lol . sorry no pics , can seem to get my camera to down load any pics . got them in my phone so if any wish to see this build pm me and give me a number to text them too .
Can't figure out how to download from my phone to here....probably something simple but so far no luck. Anyways, I send them to my email from the phone then download them from there to my laptop and from there to the site. Sounds like a hassle but it's quick and easy.

A buddy of mine passed away a couple of weekends ago and I'm trying to help her out getting a few things done. He was a major hoarder and admitted it and she's having a hard time getting things done because of the place is so packed. Just don't understand that stuff. Might can get a pic of the garage and back yard later on as I'm about to go over there in a bit unless she's hung over. Yeah, she's a sot. Hard to believe they stayed together so long as he quit drinking years ago but she picked up more....
Well, I'll be grilling today since my buds wife said she didn't sleep well last night. Sounds like I woke her up when I called at 9:45.....

Auto Transport Service
Back