• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was the coolest toy you had as a kid?

Meccano set that used to belong to my father and the joy when got more just to have the bolts and nuts to build with
Later on model trains
Still have both :)

Yup, the 1972 Aurora AFX Jacky Stewart Winner's Circle lighted race set. Then of course the 1977 Atari 2600 (six switcher), I still have the 2600.

I believe I had the Richard Petty California Speedway set which was very basic, but it's hard to recall because I soon bought extra track and cars to expand it a little bit. Thank you paper route! One thing I remember for sure, the cross track sure added a lot of fun!

I believe I had the Richard Petty California Speedway set which was very basic, but it's hard to recall because I soon bought extra track and cars to expand it a little bit. Thank you paper route! One thing I remember for sure, the cross track sure added a lot of fun!
We took the straight lengths of track and made a drag strip. I had an AFX 69 Daytona Charger stock car and a Petty Superbird. We used to put Crisco shortining on the back tires and make them do burnouts!

Last edited:
Great topic, Steve.
Some of us have fond memories of childhood. I know that I do.
I was one of four kids in a family with just dad bringing in the money. He did well, we never went hungry or wore tattered clothes. We had toys.
I recall the Stretch Armstrong dolls, the Six Million Dollar Man and GI Joe "Action figures" too. I had the SMDM space rocket and moon tent. I had the GI Joe Jeep. Smash up Derby cars, Younger brother had U-Drive-It, a toy with small cars and a console with a steering wheel to direct them on the track.
Sister had the EZ bake oven and Barbie dolls.

Last edited:
Great topic, Steve.
Some of us have fond memories of childhood. I know that I do.
I was one of four kids in a family with just dad bringing in the money. He did well, we never went hungry or wore tattered clothes. We had toys.
I recall the Stretch Armstrong dolls, the Six Million Dollar Man and GI Joe "Action figures" too. I had the SMDM space rocket and moon tent. I had the GI Joe Jeep. Smash up Derby cars, Younger brother had U-Drive-It, a toy with small cars and a console with a steering wheel to direct them on the track.
Sister had the EZ bake oven. and Barbie dolls.

Six million dollar man. I had some other SMDM deal too.

IMG_0217.jpeg

I had the tyco cars that switched lanes and you could pass people. Didn’t really work that good. Then got regular HO with those cars with magnets

The Evil Knievel RV and the ramps to send him over it to smash the models I made was fun. Models were what I wanted the most. I got the large 63 Split window Vette when I was maybe 10. The ultimate was the USS Constitution. I spent months on that and was so proud of it. Someone broke into my first apartment years later and that's the only thing I miss that they took.

My younger brother, by 7 years .
It's a wonder he lived, He is though to this day one tuff sob.
He was our crash test dummy and stunt man all in one.
But to give a correct response I have to go with a BB gun

My younger brother, by 7 years .
It's a wonder he lived, He is though to this day one tuff sob.
He was our crash test dummy and stunt man all in one.
But to give a correct response I have to go with a BB gun
I was my big brothers crash dummy

Auto Transport Service
Back