• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was the coolest toy you had as a kid?

The Tyco track I think broke on christmas day after a hour of crashes.. The petty race car lived on in my matchbox collection. My all-time favorite was a International tractor and farm implements that came in a large cardboard barn I got from my Grandmother.. today it's rare and to collectors worth near 10k now. I wore the wheels off the tractor. But... have this Petty charger yet. Guessing I got it in the mid 70s, I think I ordered it out of the sears catalog.

Screenshot_20240817_184141_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
BB guns, Go-cart, and Ski Doo snowmobiles.
Tools to fix them were another "toy"

The go cart led to my learning to weld and fabricate, and that is now what I do for a living.

One that sticks out to me was my walkie talkie. We all had them in our neighborhood in the '60s. You had to get the right crystals installed to have the correct channels. We all had our own "handles", and we were on them at night talking to each other. The lucky kids had cloverleaf antennas on the roofs off their houses for increased range. Some kids' parents had CB radios in their cars with whip antennas. Funny thing is, once I became of driving age, I never did have a CB in any of my cars.

Hot Wheels, Match Box, Revell Model kits of any car, and this......

1723940814179.png

used to love shooting the shells at my buddies when we used to play Army. Then one day they decided to light it on fire. They said it was hit by German artillery. I took names....

Yeah, well this toy kinda dates me so I had to think about it before I put it out there!

This eventually led to my passion in radio control building and racing.

1723942692789.jpeg

Ahh the atari 2600 and the aurora race tracks both classic for those of us who were kids in the 80's, I would add the master of the universe action figures

View attachment 1712632

My son was into them big time! He even had the toothbrush holder that repeated a poem to get them to brush their teeth. It worked! He's 45 now :rolleyes:

I had literally hundreds of model cars. My semi blind mother used to come through my room with vacuum cleaner and break the schit of of most of them! She was able to get me to clean my own room, just by threatening to vacuum the room!

Lincoln Logs then Legos. I can't remember having any toys that took a battery except a Boy Scout flashlight. Maybe the game Operation. I believe that was my younger brother who had that.
301 (1).gif

I liked building model cars, damn near wore out my erector set.
BB guns, riding bikes.
Bought a go cart with my paper route money, spent more time fixing it than driving it, just like my Charger.

How about hand held games?
Oh man, that Tomy Digital Derby on the right. That hand held game was the hot ticket Christmas toy in 1978, no stores had them in stock.
Funny thing, there was nothing digital about them, they were electro-mechanical games. LoL.

Tomy-DigitalDerby.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back