• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Plymouth GTX

There was a member here remaking them. His name eludes me at the moment.
Yes, sir. I was corresponding with Kenny a while back and recently sent him another email.
However, his wife responded to me and said that he passed away suddenly and unexpectedly in November.

Yes, sir. I was corresponding with Kenny a while back and recently sent him another email.
However, his wife responded to me and said that he passed away suddenly and unexpectedly in November.
OMG I am so sorry to hear that.

Can someone identify this for me?
Wiper Resistor.JPG

My guess is wiper circuit relay for 3 speed wipers but after looking at the wiring diagrams so long I cannot see straight, I still am not sure.

Can someone identify this for me?
View attachment 1503193

My guess is wiper circuit relay for 3 speed wipers but after looking at the wiring diagrams so long I cannot see straight, I still am not sure.
My guess is that it is the timer for the ignition switch light. Should be an aluminum can around it similar to a turn signal flasher switch.

Oh, that's what your asking about... Three wires, the yellow wire powers the ignition switch light that the red arrow is pointing at... BTW that's a 68 only light...

IMG_8187.jpg

Found one on eBay:
Time Delay Relay.jpg

Next question deals with mixing paints to match my dash pad.
Here's where I am at with the center and far left being the closest so far. Any thoughts?
Different Mixes.jpg

My plan is to carefully measure each of the three on the left and then reapply to see which if any win the prize.

Decided to try the center mix. Only had a couple of ounces to work with but sprayed the glove box.
Here it is compared to the unpainted lower dash pad:
New vs. Old.JPG

The new paint seems a bit more reflective and is missing the greenish tint.
Still not happy with the match so I may order more of the darker color and fuss with the mixing ratios a bit more.

I wouldn't obsess over it too much. When I was color matching my dash (soft vinyl) I found that the original pieces were all different shades. The lower pad was slightly different that the glove box etc.

What ended up happening is I had a paint that would match one piece and be in left field compared next to the other piece. I finally decided to use a mix that was right in the middle of everything and it worked out well.

I ended up ordering the Vinyl Pro paint recommended earlier in this thread.
SEM Teal.jpg

It is scheduled to arrive today.

Another question I have is how to soften the older vinyl pads?
My ashtray vinyl is in good condition but definitely a bit hard. I would like to get it softened up before I paint it.

I did a search but only found protector type products, not anything for restoring the flexibility.

A couple of pictures of freshly painted pads.

Dash Pads Painted Teal Blue.JPG

The metal on the ashtray is painted with the same Bahama Blue Poly Suede paint as the dash structure is.
This teal Vinyl Paint goes well with it.

Ashtray Pad in Teal Blue.JPG

Repainted my console with this as well:
Repainted Teal Blue.JPG

Once everything cures I can start assembling the dash and console.

Working on reassembling the dash a little at a time.
Top and Front Pad installed.JPG

Looks like I will have to go with a '69 radio bezel as I cannot find the correct '68 one.

Thought I would post this in case someone else runs into the same problem.
There are small "L" brackets used to hold the top of the console back plate in place. Nobody makes them that I could find, so I made my own.
I used a .070" thick shim similar to the one in this picture:
Rear Top Plate screw Drawing.JPG

Placed it in a vise to make the bottom bend first. Then measured and drilled the holes for the mounting screws. These holes need to be big enough for the "L" bracket to slide forward and backward on the screws.
The tops have to be slanted to match the top of the console. I will post a better drawing with some measurements done with a digital caliper in a little while.
Homemade Retainer.jpg

Measurements are approximate but should get you very close.
Measurements.jpg

Last edited:
Working on reassembling the dash a little at a time.
View attachment 1510704

Looks like I will have to go with a '69 radio bezel as I cannot find the correct '68 one.
Sorry if you mentioned it, but do you have the 69 "hockey stick" and end caps too? The color of the wood between 68 and 69 are different IIRC.

The 69 bezel is more reddish. The 68 is more brownish. Ill try and take a pic of the 2 when I get home after work.

The one in your pic looks to be a 68.

Im going all by memory, so I may be way off. LOL

Auto Transport Service
Back