• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Coronet 440 project

Removed the cover, and garage cat, from my 68 and measured...just the same as yours 59" on top and 62" below. ;)

Thanks Boise68 that's a big load off my mind. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Good to see ya back at it bigblock! I bet you'll be flying when the warm weather rolls back around :icon_thumleft: And I've heard any of these measurements can vary a bit from car to car, but the Charger measured out to roughly 58" and 61.5" so I'd say you're in the clear!

Thanks Speedy, Yea I'm working on her whenever I can get out there. I'm also doing some front grill repair I just haven't posted about it,

Cool deal! That's a good winter project you can dirty up the kitchen table with haha, looking forward to seeing that. Was it in pretty good shape to start with?

Cool deal! That's a good winter project you can dirty up the kitchen table with haha, looking forward to seeing that. Was it in pretty good shape to start with?

It's in ok shape, some of the pot metal tabs have cracked loose so I have to figure out how to fix them. It sure would be nice if the grill was plastic. lol. I'm figuring I'm going to have to solder them back together, I just need to figure out the best way to do it. You can go back to the beginning of my thread to see the head light bezel I did. I did find a few places near me that does media blasting so hopefully this spring that will get done. So many plans so little money!!!!!

John, Check this out for media blasting.. I bought one and im very happy with how it works, It may set you back a little bit but its worth every penny to get some blasting done quickly.. My compressor isn't very big and its old but if i watch what im doing i can get some work done quickly, working in one area at a time, to blast a whole car? My outfit wouldn't do it, just not large enough.

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-50lb-pressure-abrasive-blaster.html

p37336_zpsdffb881c.jpg

Honestly, I wouldn't use it for that. It would be capable, but it's going to take quite a bit of time/media to accomplish. If you're able to recycle your media, have a good open space to do it and don't mind the several hours + it's going to take, go for it. As a comparison for you, it took me 30 minutes to blast a shock crossmember with that unit. A front header panel on a fairlane took me 45 minutes. I'm running an 80 Gallon two stage compressor that had enough CFM to blast it, but definitely gave it a work out. My water traps, Air/water/oil separators and desiccant filter were quite taxed.

Just from my own standpoint, I have a kinda local shop that will plastic media blast a fender, hood, trunk lid or door and epoxy coat for about $125-200 a panel. When I have the luxury of being able to afford it, that's the route I go. If not, a trusty wire wheel or DA sander, but they do not get in all the nooks and crannies on the parts with a lot of geometry. Don't get me wrong, like mentioned...you could blast a fender or door with that. Just be prepared for a pretty long process.

It's in ok shape, some of the pot metal tabs have cracked loose so I have to figure out how to fix them. It sure would be nice if the grill was plastic. lol. I'm figuring I'm going to have to solder them back together, I just need to figure out the best way to do it. You can go back to the beginning of my thread to see the head light bezel I did. I did find a few places near me that does media blasting so hopefully this spring that will get done. So many plans so little money!!!!!

Oh yeah I remember you posting the pics of the bezel now, came out gorgeous! Looking forward to seeing your grille all done and reassembled now! And as far as media blasting goes, the price Will mentioned is probably pretty close to what the guys in my area charge too, maybe a little less. It's hard to say if it'd really be cheaper to do an entire car yourself but I guess it all depends on how much you need blasted :shruggy:

- - - Updated - - -

A decent alternative to blasting (at least on the doors and fenders) would be to use the 3m abrasive stripping wheels I use a lot on stuff that just fit in a standard power drill. Something like 13 bucks for the black one and I stripped my entire driver's side outer quarter and rocker with basically 2 of them. I've used them a lot and plan on using them on my hood, fenders and doors. Cheap, do it yourself, and gets the job done well on big, easy to reach surfaces.

Ok so that was an easy decision, take the fenders and doors to my media blaster and have him do them. I can use it as a test to see how good of a job he does. If all goes well let him do the Coronet. :)

Why doesn't anybody use chemical stripper??? I know it doesn't do anything for rust but works great on paint, then you can just blast the rusty spots. That's what I used on all of my panels, a little bit of it and a power washer does an amazing job of cleaning the metal. Just make sure he knows what he's doing, if you remember that's how I ended up with a shaker hood "they warped my hood" I had to replace 80% of the sheet metal so what the hell. Glad to see you back at it

Why doesn't anybody use chemical stripper??? I know it doesn't do anything for rust but works great on paint, then you can just blast the rusty spots. That's what I used on all of my panels, a little bit of it and a power washer does an amazing job of cleaning the metal. Just make sure he knows what he's doing, if you remember that's how I ended up with a shaker hood "they warped my hood" I had to replace 80% of the sheet metal so what the hell. Glad to see you back at it

I always forget about chemical stripping but how is it for getting in the nooks and crannies. I'm never completely off of it. :laughing7:

The stripper works good for nooks and crannies, but then you have to get it out of said nooks and crannies. Primer and paint won't stick to it. used it for the outside of my car.

The stripper works good for nooks and crannies, but then you have to get it out of said nooks and crannies. Primer and paint won't stick to it. used it for the outside of my car.

That's good to know, thanks Roger.

It is a great option for doors, fenders, hoods, roofs, etc but using the power washer with it makes it even better and especially for the nooks and crannies. I know a power washer sounds a bit much but you won't believe the results, face shield and full clothing required haha. It serves two purposes, one it really blast all of the loose paint off and second it washes all of the stripper off at the same time. Not something you want to do close to your neighbors.

If you do use the stripper once you get it off thru whatever means, It would be a good idea to take the time and use sand paper and go over the areas good, I always used 320 to go over bare metal to take a film from whatever ive used off.. Sometimes the metal can look good but have something that will compromise the paint.

If you do use the stripper once you get it off thru whatever means, It would be a good idea to take the time and use sand paper and go over the areas good, I always used 320 to go over bare metal to take a film from whatever ive used off.. Sometimes the metal can look good but have something that will compromise the paint.

Thanks Ron, when I get to that point I'll do it, because that just makes sense. When the weather warms up a little again I'll have to take the front suspension apart. I left the floor in where it attaches to the trans cross member because the torsion bars are still installed. I didn't want any unwanted shifting because of the springs. I figure better safe than sorry .

I gots me some new parts today. :) The harness that 747 sent me showed up and I also have a brand new Deck Filler Panel, Right side Door Jam, and a Floor Support. Now I need warmer weather so I can weld. Come on spring!!!!!!!!!

NewParts.jpg

Thats good of Devin to help you out and im with you with spring time, cant wait until it gets here this year myself! Good luck John...

I have to ask, is she staying a Coronet and or is a Bee in mind? :)

Thats good of Devin to help you out and im with you with spring time, cant wait until it gets here this year myself! Good luck John...

I have to ask, is she staying a Coronet and or is a Bee in mind? :)

Now that's the question Ron. It will always be and I'll always refer to it as a Coronet. I do however, have the Bee emblems that I'm going to put on the car and I'm planning on the Bee rump stripe. It's also going to be a 6pack car when I'm done. There was a guy awhile back that was selling a 150mph non rally cluster that would fit the Coronet. I'm still kicking myself for not jumping on that one. So, to answer your question, I guess, I'm sort of going to make it into a Super Bee.

Auto Transport Service
Back