• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's it Worth 70 v 68/69 pricing?

Bleep Bleep

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:19 PM
Reaction score
Ok, please don’t shame me for this. Maybe I should know more. I wish I had realized Mopar was the obvious path for me to find my first classic muscle. Having made the decision, I’m fairly new to learning before hunting. Like everyone here found out a long time ago how can I not have Charger at the top of my wish list. Humbly I may not be able to find the turnkey driver out there within budget but want to believe at this point.

All that said, can you help me understand why 68s then 69s and then 70s are worth more in that order? I happen to fall in that same order based styling but that’s just a personal preference. But, given only relatively subtle modifications, are there other factors that a new wanna be b body owner, nor owner (missed it by only a few years, and probably a few thousand in those high school years) of that generation, and so on up through 70? For someone with less than a $50k owner, is it better to get into the club starting with a 70s model? For a driver again.

Appreciate the feedback!

You answered your own question when you said “that’s just a personal preference.”
Absolutely nothing wrong with a 70. They still drop jaws everywhere they are seen. Best bucket seats too of the 3 in my opinion.

I am for one that prefers the 70', then a 69', then a 68'. So many much nicer options and color choices for 70'. I have owned several of all 3 years of Chargers over the years. To me, I see the 70' selling for the same and sometimes even more than the 68' & 69's these days. The F&F franchise has also brought the popularity of the 70' up a few notches as well.

You answered your own question when you said “that’s just a personal preference.”
Absolutely nothing wrong with a 70. They still drop jaws everywhere they are seen. Best bucket seats too of the 3 in my opinion.

I am for one that prefers the 70', then a 69', then a 68'. So many much nicer options and color choices for 70'. I have owned several of all 3 years of Chargers over the years. To me, I see the 70' selling for the same and sometimes even more than the 68' & 69's these days. The F&F franchise has also brought the popularity of the 70' up a few notches as well.

Thanks guys! Is it just my perception or generally correct that preferences drive market values higher by each newer model year - for this generation?

The '68s are the original, new curvy style Mopars, The designers got it right. The 69's and 70's are more of copies, with improvements, of the '68s. The 68's are more of a "Raw" muscle car, that looked cool. My opinion.

The '68s are the original, new curvy style Mopars, The designers got it right. The 69's and 70's are more of copies, with improvements, of the '68s. The 68's are more of a "Raw" muscle car, that looked cool. My opinion.
Thanks! Makes sense there were incremental refinements through the years from a market size appeal perspective.

I "think" RoadRunners fall exactly the same way...... and I also think '69's outsold the others originally. My personal preference is the '70 for both Chargers and RR's.

All three years are beautiful. As mentioned it's a personal preference. I like the 69 and 70 Chargers but for me the tail lights of the 68 are the winning ticket on why I bought a 68. Everyone has something different that they like and that is what makes this a great car. You can't go wrong with any of these.

The days of 70 Chargers having less value or desirability ended when the first Fast and Furious movie hit the big screen with the sinister Black Super Charged Hemi 70 Charger stealing the spotlight! Truthfully I have been buying second generation Chargers for over 40 years I have had more than 100 of them and never saw any price variation between the three years of second generation Chargers. What I did see was everyone wanting a 69 Charger like on the Dukes of Hazzard television show, then settling for a 68 or 70 Charger when they couldn't locate a 69. Many have tried to downplay the 70 Charger as being less valuable or desirable, but the 70 Charger had the best options,colors and seats of the three years of second generation Chargers. The addition of the pistol grip shifter knocked the 70 Charger out of the park in my opinion, the coolest factory shifter ever made. My parents bought a triple green 70 Charger R/T SE brand new when I was six years old and I was hooked! I currently own a white 70 Charger R/T V code 440 Sixpack car. 70 was the only year that the 440 Sixpack engine was available in a second generation Charger.

moms Charger.jpg

20210514_193135.jpg

Last edited:
All three years are beautiful. As mentioned it's a personal preference. I like the 69 and 70 Chargers but for me the tail lights of the 68 are the winning ticket on why I bought a 68. Everyone has something different that they like and that is what makes this a great car. You can't go wrong with any of these.
The 68 Charger was clean and mean,the 69 was fine and refined,the 70s option list is heavenly!

IMG_4984.jpg

I have built my own one off 70 Charger R/T convertible. The topless Charger showcar,which was updated to the Supercharger in 1970 was the inspiration for my build.

8250453-DSC00666 (1).JPG

I just like the tail of a 68 Charger over the others. Just love it. Even though I've never owned one, I would like to but have had a fleet of Challengers! For some reasons, the E body cars just came my way and not a single Charger ever did. It's like everyone was hanging onto them for one reason or another back in the mid 70's.

I am currently building a replica of the 70 Charger that I consider to be the ultimate 70 Charger ever built. The 70 Charger R/T SE Daytona sunroof car. I started with a California plum crazy purple Charger R/T for the build. I purchased and grafted in the factory sunroof assembly. I am hoping to get back to work on the project in the fall. The purple car photos are of the original car,which was a 440 Sixpack 4 speed car. The under construction pictures are of my replica in the works.

00001.jpg

3093597C-68D7-4CB0-B9F1-4F815AFB4A3F.jpeg

20221011_170016.jpg

20221001_141044.jpg

20221210_163848.jpg

Buy the one you like the most. For me 70 then 69 then 68. Personal preference, I especially don't care for the 68 interior. I prefer the slotted tail lights, really dig the 70 door scoops, wraparound grille and highback seats. However I also prefer a 71 over the earlier cars. Buy what you like not what other people value the most.

Everyone has a personal preference. In terms of pricing, color and options will produce huge swings in value within a given model year. On the subject of a "driver" quality car, I am assuming you mean what the price guides describe as "fully operable, clean and presentable, showing wear." IMO those are the best deal if you can find one - the rich guys want the concours restored one, and just about everyone else seems to be unable to pay up front for something higher level than a project, even though it will cost more to complete in the end. So you are competing with a smaller pool of buyers. At least that's been my experience when selling them.

The hard part is going to be finding one in that condition. That level is my personal preference, but in the final chapter of my collecting, I found myself going up a notch because of what became available.

Last edited:
I am currently building a replica of the 70 Charger that I consider to be the ultimate 70 Charger ever built. The 70 Charger R/T SE Daytona sunroof car. I started with a California plum crazy purple Charger R/T for the build. I purchased and grafted in the factory sunroof assembly. I am hoping to get back to work on the project in the fall. The purple car photos are of the original car,which was a 440 Sixpack 4 speed car. The under construction pictures are of my replica in the works.

View attachment 1715456

View attachment 1715457

View attachment 1715458

View attachment 1715459

View attachment 1715460
Mega nice and the purple outside of Wheels and Spokes

Just remember in 70 some parts are 1 year only and are not reproduced. I have a 70 Bee and 70 charger and some parts were crazy money. Im in the process of doing my 70 charger. My front fender was shot,people are asking 1500 and more for fenders. Double what you think you will spend on doing are car.

It looks like they actually used the push bar to push a dump truck!

Auto Transport Service
Back