• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distributor Choice

hemimeister

Local time
12:36 PM
Reaction score
I'm building a street/strip, mostly street 426 hemi, and am trying to decide on a distributor to use. I've been out of the hobby for 15 years, and most of what I'm reading is that most distributors and related electronics, including points and condensers, are imported and are of terrible quality. Are there any exceptions for quality and reliability?

There are so many new ones on the market, it's going to take you a long time to look at them all. Some have nice features. I haven't really heard of any bad ones. One thing you won't have to worry about is the quality of points and condensers because you're not going to be using those.

There are so many new ones on the market, it's going to take you a long time to look at them all. Some have nice features. I haven't really heard of any bad ones. One thing you won't have to worry about is the quality of points and condensers because you're not going to be using those.
Thanks. Points and condenser are an option as I still have an original dual point distributor and an NOS dual point, both with dead condensers.

I'm very happy with my HEI system. It is very economical to purchase and easy to setup.
Mike
IMG_2885.JPG
IMG_2886.JPG

Your original prestolite dual point is a high quality unit.
I found some older aftermarket points and condensers (filko, GP, niehoff, napa etc.) on ebay, not too expensive.
I researched part numbers and built up a small stash as a reserve.

Your original prestolite dual point is a high quality unit.
I found some older aftermarket points and condensers (filko, GP, niehoff, napa etc.) on ebay, not too expensive.
I researched part numbers and built up a small stash as a reserve.
I didn't look for older USA made or OEM condensers as I thought they are electrolytic capacitors and the shelf life is rather limited.

NOS Mopar points, NOS Mopar condensers. I have enough in stock to last longer than I'll be on this earth. Both work fine.

I picked up one of these off ebay and check the condensers mfd as specified in the factory service manual. Usually between .25 and .285.
Screenshot_20240825_182437_eBay.jpg

I am going with a complete FBO ign in my Hemi. Not running yet, so no info.

After trying get my 472 hemi to idle good for a while, I ordered a FBO distributor and box. They set it up for my combination and my engine runs great. Idles at 900 rpm's, pulls hard and runs all day long at 180 degrees.

I'm building a street/strip, mostly street 426 hemi, and am trying to decide on a distributor to use. I've been out of the hobby for 15 years, and most of what I'm reading is that most distributors and related electronics, including points and condensers, are imported and are of terrible quality. Are there any exceptions for quality and reliability?
If you are using a oem point style distributor contact @HALIFAXHOPS for quality parts. He can set you up with a distributor, parts, coil. etc. for what you need.

Post #4 is the way to go. Use an E core coil such as the MSD #8207 & no ballast res reqd. Simple to hook up. 85% more energy than points ign, use 0.050-0.060" plug gaps.

There are a ton of options out there that all work fine really depends what you want out of the system and how you will be driving it. Points, Mopar electronic, GM HEI, Petronixs etc. As long as it is installed with the proper components. Alot installed are a mix match then underperform. Each has advantages and disadgantages.

Auto Transport Service
Back