• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does Anyone Really Recycle Oil?

By Federal law, if you sell oil, you MUST accept used oil. That includes Walmart, your local 7/11....everybody.
There is NOT one 7-11 here that accepts used oil...and they sell oil:realcrazy: I think the state localities differ when it comes to the legalities of accepting used oil and for the sale of new oil

Btw 7/11 Corporate Headquarters is based in my area...

No issues with the parts stores taking it here.

I used to get the "full tank" BS when a local oil change place I took it to changed hands. I finally too the hint rather than press the issue and tell him that he had to take it by law. The local AutoZone which is closer ALWAYS takes it.

Haven't yet found anyone willing to take coolant though.

I have a bulk tank. 220 gal. I fill it once a year appr. I take it to a mechanic friend who heats his shop with it.

I just dig a deep hole LOL but really the auto zone next door takes it every time and if their tank is full I can take it to work as for anti freeze the county will take it during their haz waste roundups

anyone remember the "pit" in the back corner that your old man poured the used engine oil into ? (what he didn't use to coat fence posts etc. to stop white ants :lol:)

I was told by waste oil guy ships burn it in international water. They started charging for waste oil pick up last summer here in northern Cali.

I was told by waste oil guy ships burn it in international water. They started charging for waste oil pick up last summer here in northern Cali.
I believe this is correct. The oil is mixed with diesel and used to power steam ships.

At one time, some asphalt companies were taking used oil, also.

My local O'Rielly occasionally has the 'oil tank full' sign up. If so, I drop the oil off at WalMart's oil change lane.

Coolant is the one I wish I knew how to dispose. PepBoys used to take it but you had to convince them it was just coolant. The last time I tried this they refused to take the used coolant. I ended up dropping it off at my friend's brake shop, but he said it was a 'one time deal' for me.

Somewhere at home I have a Popular Mechanics magazine from the 1970s with an article on disposing car fluids. Coolant was flushed down the toilet, and oil was either used to cover the fence lines, or you could dig a hole, place a few cinder blocks, and let the oil seep into the ground.

I take mine to my local Walmart and have never been turned down in last 10 years. Just found out they also take oil filters.

I take it to the county dump. Their recycle station is only open 3 days a week though and I have often shown up on the wrong day.
Years back I moved to my current place. I had several 5 gallon jugs with oil, ATF, anti freeze...I unloaded the whole mess at a Jiffy Lube after hours. Not proud but there it is.
In 1986 I worked at a "Chief Auto Parts" store.... they eventually became"Auto Zone". They sold a cardboard box with a plastic liner, it was filled with shredded fabric and lint. THIS was a "Self contained oil drain box".....The instructions were to drain the engine oil in, wrap it upand dispose of it in the trash!

This buddy of mine mixes used oil in with regular diesel for use in his 92 Dodge. He has mixed ATF in the tank too. It smokes more, but **** it...

I have a friend with a shop i put mine in his tank and someone uses it for heat.

'Poly'-LOL!!! Yrs ago though I found out used diesel oil really soaks in to railroad timbers, used car oil not nearly as good.

I used it my wife bought it from walmart $6 a gallon clearenced i put it in my older cars they both used a quart before their regular oil change where they didn't use any before .
The lack of punctuation makes this hard to read or make any sense from it. You bought USED oil for $ 6 a gallon?

Auto Transport Service
Back