• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Foods that you tried ONCE but never again...

I see a lot of stuff on this list that I really like and it makes me chuckle - because there was I time when I was not a fan of many of them. I think the more you travel the more open that you become to different kinds of foods. Certainly my experience anyway. Living abroad for a number of years was also a factor in my case. That said, no Balut and Uni (sea urchin sushi). I've had several sushi lovers encourage me to try Uni again, but I see no reason to go down that road again. I also take a pass on liver and that includes foie gras - although my wife loves the stuff.

Crow.
Raven. Nevermore

Crow.
Raven. Nevermore
:rofl: :rofl:
-----------------------------------------------------

Liver. Never again. We ate it cuz we were close to broke. Mom called it pepper steak. Nice try, Ma.

Oysters. {pukes in mouth a little} it's like a ginormous snot you hocked up and swallowed.

Lots of stuff.. Bangers and Mash.. Pass... If fact is there anything food wise from the whole of England/Scotland/Ireland that's worth eating? Nothing I can think of.....
They make a decent roast beef...and Fish & Chips.
1719500653666.jpeg

1719501071551.jpeg

Last edited:
We ate some unusual meals when we were short on cash. "Tuna Helper" ??? AS kids, we didn't know and they weren't about to explain to kids that we were broke.
What about you?

View attachment 1685397
In real time I don't think as kids they know the reality of what "broke" really is, it's only when looking back that we assign a value to it.

In my case looking back a huge family treat was a backyard BBQ cookout, the specialty was what I called "Skinny Meat", thin pork chops smothered in BBQ sauce, they were great.
I don't think I had myself a real steak until I was working at 16. My 6-year son was ordering Filet Mignons. Times change.

And Lima beans are a strict no go for me.

When I visited Ireland , I would have to say black sausage was the only thing I had that I didn’t like. Nasty.
Liver…..twice as nasty.

What about Wales?

Cawl​

Dating back to the 14th century, cawl, also known as ‘lobscows’ in areas of North Wales, is a hearty stew of lamb and seasonal vegetables that is considered to be the national dish of Wales. Usually accompanied by slabs of fresh bread, it’s the perfect meal to warm up during a frosty Welsh winter.
View attachment 1685399
Going to try that, looks delicious !

Coffee. That stuff not be only taste gross, the smell is hideous.
It takes all kinds in this world.
I love the smell of coffee but to drink it, I need there to be all sorts of stuff mixed with it. Dad drank it straight black.
I'd like to get a candle that smells like coffee and bacon cooking.

Chipped beef and gravy on toast; otherwise known as SOS.

I had SOS as a child. Never again; I'll starve first.

LIVER. My mother had us eat liver, because it had iron in it and was good for us. She also cooked it until it would shatter if you dropped it. I tested her theory by running my tongue over one of my father’s files. I certainly didn't like that taste.
Then eventually I got married. She liked liver, fried it with tomatoes sometimes. Never overcooked it. Changed my whole attitude. She makes a wonderful fried chicken liver dish that has chopped tomatoes, chopped green onions, red pepper flakes and some sauces.
Key word do not overcook liver.

Liver as a kid. Still can't stand it. I really dislike brussel sprouts. I have tried them doctored up every which way and still don't like the bitter little critters. I slice them up in a salad and like them uncooked.

Filipino Balut. ate it when I went Through USN Chief Petty Officers initiation.. Yuck never again.. Fermented Chicken Embryo..

View attachment 1685451
That sh*t is the worst!!! When the Philippina gals would eat it, their breath smelled so bad, it could knock a Buzzard off a Sh*t Wagon. Haggis, no way either. Any internal organ meat is a no-no also as it is a culprit for Gout and very high Cholesterol so I avoid it. Used to love doing Shooters with Hot Sauce...Oysters raw...but now also no-no! Worst for me though is anything Egg Plant. That vegetable is just plain wrong!!! cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Last edited:
Regarding liver, I like it if its sliced thin and cooked properly. It was on my top 10 selling items in my restaurant. When my kids were young they had issues with chewing steak. I started making them liver and seasoned it like steak and they ended up loving it. I can still remember my step daughter say..."this is the best steak I've ever had. Can we have this again?"

Auto Transport Service
Back