• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do today....other than work on your car!?

The cost difference is way bigger in my area. They make Rockwool for both insulation and sound deadening, I used it because it being a floor I was concerned fiberglass would eventually settle in the joist.. Rockwool is like a firm sponge.

Correction; I meant to say 2 1/2 times more.

Wow cost unknown huge money at least for a po boy like me. Like it! Location looks nice visited in the 90's but that crater ain't dead. Would homeowners insurance cover that. Don't mean to be a downer but that thing is only sleeping.
He (my brother) owned a cabin about 7 miles east of this that he built in 1977 when he was 18 years old. When the mountain blew in '80 there were mudflows right down to that location but no damage to the cabin. He was in the 'red zone' for a couple years and could not go there. When it blew, St. Helens blew the peak to the north and the crater is still open to the north. If (when) it blows again, his theory is that it will blow north again and he'll have a front row view, or he'll already be worm food. Either way, ya takes yer chances.

As far as insurance goes, acts of God are typically excluded. Flood insurance can only be acquired through FEMA (US Government). As far as I know there is no volcano insurance.

Last edited:
Summer heat and humidity in Oklahoma can be as bad as Houston or Corpus Christi. Which means I'm going to break open some plastic scale models I accumulated in the mid-'80s and do some building. I have a '63 Thunderbird that I want to start first. It was the first car I drove over 100 mph, and it was one of Dad's favorites. White, with red gut and black textured top. Fun times. That, and a '67 Coronet R/T that I'm building as a twin to my '66 Coronet 500, with trim being the obvious difference.

With 108 degrees forecast for today, and 100+ for the next week or so, building models might be a good distraction for a few days.

Last edited:
Well I had to take a nuclear stress test today. I couldn’t get my heart rate up to the minimum 134 on the treadmill. So out comes the needles. That stuff makes me feel weird. Then a ultrasound of my heart and Carotid artery. Woke up this morning like usual so all must be good.

1D5EC42B-41FB-4552-B309-D21CECD5FB14.jpeg

44BC9DC9-1840-4F62-BB28-54559FF69359.jpeg

Well I had to take a nuclear stress test today. I couldn’t get my heart rate up to the minimum 134 on the treadmill.
That is better than not being able to bring your heart rate down. :thumbsup:

Hope you're OK buddy.

Summer heat and humidity in Oklahoma can be as bad as Houston or Corpus Christi. Which means I'm going to break open some plastic scale models I accumulated in the mid-'80s and do some building.

With 108 degrees forecast for today, and 100+ for the next week or so, building models might be a good distraction for a few days.
Just admit it, you're a glue sniffer and need/want to go cop a buzz!!

Why are some of the dome triangle sections framed in a three point pattern and others in a parallel pattern?

Really like to see more pictures. Please.

@Fran Blacker you can see it from the beginning (2009 to present) in glorious detail at thetimberdome.com. My bro's wife has chronicled it in detail on their website. I think I only appear in year 1 or 2 when I dug the foundations for the house and shop. He is an amazing craftsman for a guy that spent his career as a CPA and CFO of a tug and barge outfit. Hands down the smartest man I know. And the amount of work they're putting in is unprecedented.

Feel free to check it out and if you'd like, sign their guest book (on the website).

Fixed up a cable that was worn out due to vibration and chaffing on a Quarry crushing platform. All the testing I did prior to finding the damage pointed to water ingress.....and they had told me that a high pressure pipe had burst last night....sending water all over that area.
After completely disconnecting everything I found the problem. That 4.0 Amp reading is running with the belt unloaded.

:xscuseless:

20230629_113846.jpg
20230629_113941.jpg
20230629_115650.jpg
20230629_120102.jpg
20230629_130116.jpg
20230629_132241.jpg
20230629_140523.jpg

Very satisfying to find the problem and get it fixed while the guys had their lunch break. :thumbsup:

@Fran Blacker you can see it from the beginning (2009 to present) in glorious detail at thetimberdome.com. My bro's wife has chronicled it in detail on their website. I think I only appear in year 1 or 2 when I dug the foundations for the house and shop. He is an amazing craftsman for a guy that spent his career as a CPA and CFO of a tug and barge outfit. Hands down the smartest man I know. And the amount of work they're putting in is unprecedented.

Feel free to check it out and if you'd like, sign their guest book (on the website).
Amazing!

Thank you. I'll pass along your complement. I'm headed up there today to hang out with family in from Iowa.
Really a labor of love. Looked at the whole process. Mind boggling work and planning. I general contract my house and did a lot of unskilled labor jobs to save money.

Fixed up a cable that was worn out due to vibration and chaffing on a Quarry crushing platform. All the testing I did prior to finding the damage pointed to water ingress.....and they had told me that a high pressure pipe had burst last night....sending water all over that area.
After completely disconnecting everything I found the problem. That 4.0 Amp reading is running with the belt unloaded.

View attachment 1486522View attachment 1486523View attachment 1486524View attachment 1486525View attachment 1486526View attachment 1486527View attachment 1486528

Very satisfying to find the problem and get it fixed while the guys had their lunch break. :thumbsup:
Had a few of those but the VFD's usually tells me where to look with a flashing ERROR message, gotta love technology.

Had a few of those but the VFD's usually tells me where to look with a flashing ERROR message, gotta love technology.
Unfortunately, these motors are mostly DOL....and that cable being buried in slightly moist gravel wasn't making the search obvious. :thumbsup:

Last picture I posted was our basement with just the walls framed. Fast forward to today, we put all the furniture back in. Now we just need the electrician and plumber to come back and do the final hookups.

IMG_20230701_113803633_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230701_113913912_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230701_113958068_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230701_114034278.jpg

IMG_20230701_114103476.jpg

Why are some of the dome triangle sections framed in a three point pattern and others in a parallel pattern?

Sorry @YY1 , I just saw this post. A geodesic dome is constructed from 6 different triangles in a specific pattern. Here are templates for the 6 triangles.

dometemplates.jpg

The cross bracing you see was designed by my brother to attach the redwood tongue and groove paneling that he milled from two approximately 6 foot diameter trees that he felled at his previous home. They went pretty fancy with the pattern as you can see.

domepaneling.jpg

Changed the oil on the Yamaha. Now the new oil is very hard to see on the dipstick

IMG_5361.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back