• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do today....other than work on your car!?

Fixed the other french door leg.
...and ripped another firring strip.
...and replaced a GFI that had a fire.
...and installed a microwave and recep.
...and plugged another tire.
...and fed some squatters at the shop.
View attachment 1520842
View attachment 1520845

View attachment 1520843

View attachment 1520844
View attachment 1520846

View attachment 1520847

It IS starting to come together-

View attachment 1520848
Those sockets looked surprised and shocked after being pulled off the wall... :lol:

1693955486219.png

Painted some doors.
2 down, 9 to go, 7 of them both sides. Ugh.

20230910_111801.jpg

20230910_111812.jpg

At least I don't have to brush paint them.

Matchbox finally tooled a Jeep Renegade for their line of Mopar/Jeep licensed cars.

Had to go to two different Dollar Generals to find a second one so i can drill out the rivets and paint it silver to match my real one.

20230911_171155.jpg

well i've strung an electrical cord to the gate i've installed so i can drill holes in the frame work for the fence planks . and squared off for my other side gate post hole and dug a 16 '' dia width x 36'' dp hole , man this boston clam shell digger works great . i've replaced the wood handle with a piece of chrome moly tubing . but you still got to use two hands to make it work , lol .

got an overhead door in today, well almost. Needs a 2x4 at least probably throw a 2x6 on top of the 2x12 a little short. also got my borgeson steering box installed
20230912_142539.jpg
20230912_185535.jpg

Painted some doors.
2 down, 9 to go, 7 of them both sides. Ugh.

View attachment 1523971

View attachment 1523972

At least I don't have to brush paint them.

@YY1 when I paint door-packs I screw a couple pieces of firring to the tops of the doors to stand them up in a line. I arrange them at a 45 degree angle to the line, alternating left to right so they are perpendicular to each other like an accordion. This allows you to paint both sides and the edges of all doors simultaneously, without having to wait for one side to dry.

Interesting idea.

I was trying to avoid stooping and squatting. There's been WAY too much of that with all of the other stuff we've been doing.

I've got 4 doors (8 sides) left.

I think I'm gonna buy a cheap $65 Wagner power painter to get those done.
I'm aware of the flaw in that design (paint cup is larger at the bottom and sucks air after 1/3 of the cup is used if tilted) and just need to work around it.
If they would invert the cup so it's larger at the top, you wouldn't run into an issue until its 75% empty.
That was one of the things I liked about the Graco- it's a vacuum feed and collapsible cup. In theory you can paint until it's empty and with the gun upside down.

Interestingly, the Harbor Freight "cheap" airless gun is $79.

Doing some yardwork today....mostly weed eating and following the shade. Went to the grocery store first but didn't get out to do that until 9am. Haven't done much yardwork for the last two months except for mowing the back. Man, it was getting pretty tall. Anywhere the sun was shining on all day is pretty sad looking even after watering it a ton. Oh well. Last summer was kinda bad but this year was really bad and hope next summer isn't a repeat but thinking it will be.

Went over to the Pick-N-Pull wrecking yard to check out a 71 Dart that they're trying to sell whole, and a 69 Chrysler 300, that's pretty much nothing but a shell of a car, but the engine and trans are still in it.
Then i packaged up the brake calipers that sold, to a member, in Florida, when i got back home.

Packed up my Savoy for the Mopar show at Norwalk for a nice cool weekend racing and drinking beer with my Mopar buddies.

Gus

Went over to the Pick-N-Pull wrecking yard to check out a 71 Dart that they're trying to sell whole, and a 69 Chrysler 300, that's pretty much nothing but a shell of a car, but the engine and trans are still in it.
Then i packaged up the brake calipers that sold, to a member, in Florida, when i got back home.

Do tell the outcome.

Seems like I'm having "paint sprayer drama".

Went to pick up the cheap Wagner sprayer at Lowes last night.
Bzzzzzzt- stain only! That one and the next model up.
Apparently you don't get paint capability until $144.
Pass.

Then I went to Harbor Freight to get their $79 sprayer.
Bzzzzzzt- sold out.
I noticed they also had a $35 unit that's not listed online.
Bzzzzzzt- also sold out.
What next?

Went to the shop to take the outlet valve apart on the Graco Magnum.
Previously I couldn't budge the fitting with a closed end wrench on it and an adjustable holding the pump body.
I put some 99% isopropyl in the fitting and Liquid Wrench in the thread area and let it sit for a couple days.
Last night, I had to chuck the fitting in the bench vice and use a pipe wrench to turn the body.
They sure don't give you much room to work in that location.
I finally got it apart. It was a little crusty with some flaky gray matter but not rusted.
Wire brushed and bottle brushed as much as I could and verified the ball actually moved.
Then-
The fitting would NOT thread back in!?! WTF?
Threads are buggered. Like a saw or file was drug almost perpendicular across them in several places.

20230921_191719.jpg

That could explain why it was such a bear to get out.
Factory? Of course I don't have that size tap and die, so I'll try to clean up the threads with needle files.
Grrr.
There's another Harbor Freight near where I work. Hopefully they have a cheap sprayer in stock.
I did notice that some of their larger sprayers cost as much or more than the Gracos.

That'll teach me NOT to ask what could possibly happen next, or at least it should.

Got my Glastron back from the repair shop today. The new (1987) Merc 115 hp “tower of power” I recently hung on it now gets the boat going 55 mph at 5,500 rpm. That’s up 10 mph from the original (4-banger) 115 hp. I’m pleased.

IMG_5349.jpeg

IMG_5348.jpeg

Cleaned our boat inside/out and put it away for the season. Then finished up a water line break that I dug up late Tuesday and got it backfilled before the rain hits for the whole weekend. Took a break from raking, leaned on the post and it snapped off so I replaced that rotted post too. At least now it won’t be a giant swimming pool… Productive day anyway.

IMG_4040.jpeg

IMG_4037.jpeg

IMG_4064.jpeg

71710657173__E8A73E58-018C-49A8-9B26-56230D748CAF.jpeg

IMG_4059.jpeg

Got my Glastron back from the repair shop today. The new (1987) Merc 115 hp “tower of power” I recently hung on it now gets the boat going 55 mph at 5,500 rpm. That’s up 10 mph from the original (4-banger) 115 hp. I’m pleased.

View attachment 1528730

View attachment 1528731
My wife’s Uncle has an old late 60’s Checkmate that is blue metal flake a little brighter blue than yours with the tower of power. The transom sits about 6 inches out of the water. He pulled it with a 69 396 4 speed SS Chevelle which is still original paint and her cousin has the car now. He only 100-200 miles on it in the last 15 years getting it inspected. Think it has 40,000 on it now garaged since new.

Auto Transport Service
Back