• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where did you and your car go today

I'm about done with the grill, 3 hours so far. I'll put the stainless steel screening in last. Everything get a coat of brown paint, first coat, in case I decide to go with that rusty patina look, the tailgate was done the same way. A light sanding with 320 in spots and the whole look changes. I'm painting the brown today. I'm finishing the wood for fun, not a piece of furniture. The tailgate wasn't done to perfection, it's supposed to be fun, old, playful. If it was supposed to be furniture, I wouldn't have used Bondo and would clear coat it, no paint, and I'd have 8 hour in it. My sensei told me once, grasshopper, you will never be a true furniture maker if you don't master the art of sanding, wax on, wax off. LOL. I absolutely hated sanding!! I've sanded furniture for a whole 8 hour shift, day after day and ended up with tennis and golf elbow. So much dust from Cherrywood, that my nose would drip light red instead of clear. He would come by and ask if I was polishing it or sanding it, joking, but not really. He was almost perfect, and wanted more than that for me. The stories are endless, anyway, here we go. I'll look at it after I paint it and see if I want to fix any imperfections.
View attachment 1733657View attachment 1733658View attachment 1733659
I would match the tailgate. That is beautiful! I love doing woodworking, unfortunately I don’t have the space I used to have. When the little lady, a customer, or one of the kids finds something on Pinterest or wherever, they show me a picture, I back the Jeep out of the garage, and have at it. It’s always on a Saturday or Sunday, I stay a little busy through the week. One of these days, I’ll find the time to get my pickup ready for paint. I’m not going to paint it but, the only thing that will be masked off are the window openings. I drive it all the time and everyone says don’t paint it, it looks good just the way it is. Like you, I get this picture in my head and it has to be done. The last thing I redid, as far as paint, was my Texaco gas pump. It was on the side of my garage at the last house. Here, the HOA wouldn’t like it in the front of the house so, it’s on the back porch. It’s wired through the low voltage yard lights and still looks good when it’s lit up. Looking forward to keep seeing the progress. You’re putting thoughts in my head, sir!

That's a fact! You don't realize how much stuff you accumulate over the years!
Isn’t that the truth! Holy cow, when we decided to move, the kids, neighbors and my buds were in heaven. When you move 1600 miles and know you’re not going to have the space, a realization sets in. Of course now, I have 2 big storage units and a not so big 3 car attached garage. I’ve rebought most of what I left behind, still better than hauling it all across the country. After our initial move, I flew back, jumped in the van with the trailer, both loaded and drove back. That’s when the first storage unit came into play. When I’m finally pushing up daisies, the kids are going to go nuts.

I would match the tailgate. That is beautiful! I love doing woodworking, unfortunately I don’t have the space I used to have. When the little lady, a customer, or one of the kids finds something on Pinterest or wherever, they show me a picture, I back the Jeep out of the garage, and have at it. It’s always on a Saturday or Sunday, I stay a little busy through the week. One of these days, I’ll find the time to get my pickup ready for paint. I’m not going to paint it but, the only thing that will be masked off are the window openings. I drive it all the time and everyone says don’t paint it, it looks good just the way it is. Like you, I get this picture in my head and it has to be done. The last thing I redid, as far as paint, was my Texaco gas pump. It was on the side of my garage at the last house. Here, the HOA wouldn’t like it in the front of the house so, it’s on the back porch. It’s wired through the low voltage yard lights and still looks good when it’s lit up. Looking forward to keep seeing the progress. You’re putting thoughts in my head, sir!
It's about simplicity, art. I go to a lot of craft shows and pick up a lot of crazy ideas. I don't sell and if it keeps up, I'll run out of wall space and the giving away will start. I have about sixty dollars in the front-end and a little time, no harm, no foul as far as the money goes.

From what I've been told and from what you have shown us, you're sitting on a few bucks there. You've done well over the years and for you, the rewards are about to pay off!!
That is the plan.

I'm about done with the grill, 3 hours so far. I'll put the stainless steel screening in last. Everything get a coat of brown paint, first coat, in case I decide to go with that rusty patina look, the tailgate was done the same way. A light sanding with 320 in spots and the whole look changes. I'm painting the brown today. I'm finishing the wood for fun, not a piece of furniture. The tailgate wasn't done to perfection, it's supposed to be fun, old, playful. If it was supposed to be furniture, I wouldn't have used Bondo and would clear coat it, no paint, and I'd have 8 hour in it. My sensei told me once, grasshopper, you will never be a true furniture maker if you don't master the art of sanding, wax on, wax off. LOL. I absolutely hated sanding!! I've sanded furniture for a whole 8 hour shift, day after day and ended up with tennis and golf elbow. So much dust from Cherrywood, that my nose would drip light red instead of clear. He would come by and ask if I was polishing it or sanding it, joking, but not really. He was almost perfect, and wanted more than that for me. The stories are endless, anyway, here we go. I'll look at it after I paint it and see if I want to fix any imperfections.
You talented people aggravate me...:lol:

It been a while since I’ve had my lil red express out. Weather is nice so around the block I went

F9659E30-52D2-4071-B548-2B857BD9F790.jpeg

It been a while since I’ve had my lil red express out. Weather is nice so around the block I went

View attachment 1734001
Buddy, I have always loved those trucks! Heck, I’d drive that as much if not more than the GTX. I had that same dash, in my 78. I’ve only seen a few wood grains, from that era.

A little evening romp around the neighborhood, I have 47 miles on it now! What fun.

0F935C60-944E-47D9-A0D5-93E6F0EF2238.jpeg60119DDA-3D2D-40F5-9FF9-D59B9673A4C2.jpeg

Nice job, Ulli. What a skill!

I had the funnest time today. 55 years ago, I had the pleasure of attending an unsanctioned exhibition of the accelerative capabilities of our respective musclecars (street racing). This event was held on a paved back road in front of a farm owned by the parents of two gearhead brothers I knew. The parents were away for the weekend, so by word of mouth these guys let it be known there would be a race there. I showed up with my new 1969 383, automatic, 3.91 gears SuperBee at about 11 a.m., with 40 other cars, and we raced unmolested until about 5 p.m. It was a memorable afternoon, with mostly all local guys.
50 years later, (5 years ago) these two brothers now own their parent's farm and decided to have an anniversary of "The Nationals". No racing this time, but a great little show in one of the fields, with a lot of memories of the original event. One of the original racers from 1969 is now a professional photographer, and wanted a shot of the "Class of 1969" , and there were about a dozen of us still there. The organizers thought it would be great to have another reunion, going forward, each 5 years as long as we could.
Fast forward the 5 years, and it now time for the 55th anniversary, today. Although it was a pretty overcast day this morning, I headed out with my '67 R/T anyway. The event is about 35 miles from my now home, so not a bad distance to drive. I packed my camera with me, but I was so busy yacking with old friends and some new ones, that I never got the chance to take pictures. Although there was no racing, there were plenty of old-fashioned burn-outs. A newer Hellcat Challenger gave an excellent exhibition; I think I heard the automatic shift 4 times before the car started moving forward! This is a rural farming community, so some of the guys had '60's Chev pickups with LS or Big Block motors in them. They gave impressive smoke shows. One of the racers that showed up in 1969 with a new 428 Cobra Jet Mustang (rich parents) was there with his brother in a 1967 Fairlane 500 convertible that was now packing a 427 Low Rise side oiler complete with 2x4 Holleys, and 5-speed Tremec (they are both rich now with extensive car collections). It gave a good demonstration of rear wheelhop, but still got rubber going into 4th gear! My friend, Randy, was there with his 1962 Dart Max Wedge clone, with 4-speed and 4.10's in a Dana 60. It also has a Line Lock, so nice smoke show there. My R/T was parked near the road where all the action was going on, so it was covered in rubber particles. One of the guys there had been admiring my old Dodge all afternoon, and taking pictures of it. I thought it was time to blow the rubber dust off my car, and I asked him if he wanted to go for a ride. He almost fainted!
I ran the car down the road a couple of miles to warm the engine up, and turned around to come back to the burn-out area. I nailed the secondaries a couple of times to make sure they were primed. I have a shift kit in my 727, and find that a manual shift from First to Second is kinda violent. I usually put the shifter in Second, and let it shift from 1 to 2 on the governor. Usually this lets it burn rubber half way through First before getting traction, and then upshifting to Second with a solid bark of the rear tires. This time it was different. I had the shifter in Second, put it up on the brakes, and nailed it. The rear tires erupted in smoke, and the revs went up so fast, the 727 upshifted automatically to Second during the burnout. The 440 must have been right in the meat of its torque curve, because it just kept spinning and smoking through Second! I am sure this was the longest and smokiest burn out I have ever done! I turned around and came back to pits. The guys were all hooting and clapping, and I was very proud of the old girl. My passenger was pretty impressed with his ride. I hope we are both still around 5 years from now for the next anniversary.
First couple of pictures are from 5 years ago. Picture of my friends Max Wedge Dart and the 427 Fairlane in attendance this year.

IMG_3215.jpg

Frankenmuth Courtland Nationals 332.jpg

Courtland Nationals 3.png

P6190054.JPG

P9210012.JPG

P9210009.JPG

Last edited:
I had the funnest time today. 55 years ago, I had the pleasure of attending an unsanctioned exhibition of the accelerative capabilities of our respective musclecars (street racing). This event was held on a paved back road in front of a farm owned by the parents of two gearhead brothers I knew. The parents were away for the weekend, so by word of mouth these guys let it be known there would be a race there. I showed up with my new 1969 383, automatic, 3.91 gears SuperBee at about 11 a.m., with 40 other cars, and we raced unmolested until about 5 p.m. It was a memorable afternoon, with mostly all local guys.
50 years later, (5 years ago) these two brothers now own their parent's farm and decided to have an anniversary of "The Nationals". No racing this time, but a great little show in one of the fields, with a lot of memories of the original event. One of the original racers from 1969 is now a professional photographer, and wanted a shot of the "Class of 1969" , and there were about a dozen of us still there. The organizers thought it would be great to have another reunion, going forward, each 5 years as long as we could.
Fast forward the 5 years, and it now time for the 55th anniversary, today. Although it was a pretty overcast day this morning, I headed out with my '67 R/T anyway. The event is about 35 miles from my now home, so not a bad distance to drive. I packed my camera with me, but I was so busy yacking with old friends and some new ones, that I never got the chance to take pictures. Although there was no racing, there were plenty of old-fashioned burn-outs. A newer Hellcat Challenger gave an excellent exhibition; I think I heard the automatic shift 4 times before the car started moving forward! This is a rural farming community, so some of the guys had '60's Chev pickups with LS or Big Block motors in them. They gave impressive smoke shows. One of the racers that showed up in 1969 with a new 428 Cobra Jet Mustang (rich parents) was there with his brother in a 1967 Fairlane 500 convertible that was now packing a 427 Low Rise side oiler complete with 2x4 Holleys, and 5-speed Tremec (they are both rich now with extensive car collections). It gave a good demonstration of rear wheelhop, but still got rubber going into 4th gear! My friend, Randy, was there with his 1962 Dart Max Wedge clone, with 4-speed and 4.10's in a Dana 60. It also has a Line Lock, so nice smoke show there. My R/T was parked near the road where all the action was going on, so it was covered in rubber particles. One of the guys there had been admiring my old Dodge all afternoon, and taking pictures of it. I thought it was time to blow the rubber dust off my car, and I asked him if he wanted to go for a ride. He almost fainted!
I ran the car down the road a couple of miles to warm the engine up, and turned around to come back to the burn-out area. I nailed the secondaries a couple of times to make sure they were primed. I have a shift kit in my 727, and find that a manual shift from First to Second is kinda violent. I usually put the shifter in Second, and let it shift from 1 to 2 on the governor. Usually this lets it burn rubber half way through First before getting traction, and then upshifting to Second with a solid bark of the rear tires. This time it was different. I had the shifter in Second, put it up on the brakes, and nailed it. The rear tires erupted in smoke, and the revs went up so fast, the 727 upshifted automatically to Second during the burnout. The 440 must have been right in the meat of its torque curve, because it just kept spinning and smoking through Second! I am sure this was the longest and smokiest burn out I have ever done! I turned around and came back to pits. The guys were all hooting and clapping, and I was very proud of the old girl. My passenger was pretty impressed with his ride. I hope we are both still around 5 years from now for the next anniversary.
First couple of pictures are from 5 years ago. Picture of my friends Max Wedge Dart and the 427 Fairlane in attendance this year.

View attachment 1734594

View attachment 1734595

View attachment 1734596

View attachment 1734597

View attachment 1734598

View attachment 1734599
What a great story!!! Those were the days and I remember having a place where we would meet and tear it up too, but a reunion of those days, priceless!! Something to reminisce about in your dreams at night, 4 years and 364 days to go, but who's counting! Thanks for sharing!! :thumbsup:

I woke up yesterday morning,and took the 71 Charger R/T for a nice morning cruise. Then I freed up the brakes on the little red express truck and drove it around the yard a few times. Then I took my 71 Challenger convertible out for a nice afternoon ride. I drove three Mopars in one day! Winning!

That's a neat story Dave. I still see some of the guys I used to race with back at Cayuga, mostly at car shows. Happy to hear that the R/T represented the Mopar contingent well.

Auto Transport Service
Back