• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you get the feelung your Tv is spying on you?

There are devices that help protect your privacy.

Smartphone: Purism Librem 5

It has Hardware Killswitches for the Camera, Microphone and Wireless/Mobile Antenna.
It also features custom Purism Firmware and Operating System (PureOS which is based on Debian Linux).
The downside is it needs some IT/Linux expertise to operate and you cannot run iphone or android apps. Which means you cannot use most common smartphone apps.
It is fully capable of phone calls, sms, internet browsing, email, taking mediocre quality pictures... though.
You can even connect it to a Computer Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse and use it like a desktop computer if you buy a compatible Docking Station.

Laptop: Novacustom (V54 and NV41 for example)

These are rebadged Clevo Laptops which a lot of (even well known) brands sell.
When buying from novacustom you can tell them to remove the microphone, camera and wireless module. They also have no built in fingerprint reader.
(If you decide to remove the internal wireless module (wifi/bluetooth) they also sell compatible usb wifi sticks.)
You can choose between Open Source Dasharo UEFI or Dasharo Heads Firmware. The first is compatible with Microsoft Windows, the latter is only compatible with Linux but is even more "secure". (I would stick to the UEFI Firmware in most cases)
If you stick to the Dasharo UEFI Firmware you can even order their Laptops with Microsoft Windows preinstalled. So this laptop should even be fine for novice users. (Note that i do not have one yet but consider buying one.)

Purism also sells a Laptop (Librem 14) but the Hardware is already pretty outdated and Purism Pureboot is based on Coreboot + Heads, just like Dasharo Heads so it is very similar.
Edit: You cannot run Microsoft Windows on a Purism Librem 14. Except you manually flash their Coreboot + SeaBIOS Firmware over the preinstalled Pureboot Firmware. And even then it won't work out of the Box (you will have to Tweak Windows) because IIRC SeaBIOS does not Support TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot.

I limit phone surfing in public as I don't want any dirtbags infiltrating.

In this case i would just use a VPN. It encrypts your connection so nobody can see what sites you are actually visiting.
Edit: Nobody minus the VPN Provider. So choose carefully.

Last edited:
Phones, televisions, computers, cars, radios, credit card companies, & pretty much everything electronic is spying on you.

Phones, televisions, computers, cars, radios, credit card companies, & pretty much everything electronic is spying on you.

But you can greatly reduce attack surface.

- I have no microphone, camera, fingerprint reader or wireless card in my desktop computer (currently not using a laptop).
- Since this year i completely ditched Microsoft Windows and use Linux on all my devices
- I'm barely using my smartphone. (90% of the time It's not even in the same room as i am and obviously i do not take it with me if i want to go somewhere without being tracked)
- Our newest vehicle is model year 1994 so this also does not spy on me
- I rarely watch tv and if i'm not using it i disconnect the power supply with a switch
- I'm not using ANY smart devices like Alexa, Smart Dishwasher, Smart homes etc.

You cannot 100% escape it that's true but i would never buy a laptop/computer that has a built in microphone, camera or fingerprint reader without a physical killswitch. (As long as i have a choice)
If you get hacked they can access all those things and use them against you, blackmail etc.

Main TV is a 2009 Pioneer Kuro Pro151 plasma, dumb as a box of Biden cabinet members, but still the best picture I've ever seen. Best of both worlds :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back