• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My turn today

it should be at the shop of YOUR choice...... and they work for YOU, not the ins co.

14g's. lots of cab work.

I bet that cab corner is less than 400 bucks, and about 10 hours labor....... I'd say it occupies less than 1500 dollars of the repair including paint and minor door jamb and rocker BS

I bet that cab corner is less than 400 bucks, and about 10 hours labor....... I'd say it occupies only about 1200 dollars of the repair including paint and minor BS

plus a new bed and 2 new doors plus labor and painting...

plus a new bed and 2 new doors plus labor and painting...

The front door only has a 3" crease, so that can be fixed, but I wouldn't be surprised if the quarter panel on the bed has to be replace.

I guess we shall see...... I ran 2 collision shops, insurance companies are reasonable, but they don't give away money for what is unnecessary....... that bedside is a straight forward replacement, about 3K....cab corner 1500...... 2500 tops to repair a door and replace a door......add in some bullshit and sales tax get you to 10K tops......

unless labor rates are significantly higher in his area, and I am missing something major

just my opinion based on a picture and my experience, getting it to a quality shop is the most important factor

what is the labor rate for collision shops in your area? it about 48/hour here.....the insurance companies do their best to steer all the work to their "preferred" shops...... makes it almost impossible for small shops to compete...

48/hr you sure ?? I'll ship my next paint job down there .. we're double that

48/hr are you sure ?? I'll ship out my next paint job .. we're double that here

oh, I'm sure..... as of 2 years ago anyway...... I doubt much has changed..... guys need to beat the clock on a regular basis, and the shop needs to make a decent mark up on parts just to survive....

a small shop with 1 booth and 3 or 4 employees simply can't compete with the maaco's, collisionmax's, and dealership shops

and the reason they didn't write it up is because they will wait for the adjuster to be there and let him do the work....... then use his his paperwork as a starting point........supplements after the fact are standard operating proceedure

"preferred" shops will often have an insurance guy in house

oh, I'm sure..... as of 2 years ago anyway...... I doubt much has changed..... guys need to beat the clock on a regular basis, and the shop needs to make a decent mark up on parts just to survive....

a small shop with 1 booth and 3 or 4 employees simply can't compete with the maaco's, collisionmax's, and dealership shops
Here in Cali, flat rates are highest in Country & Nor Cal higher than So Cal. Hard to make an accu judgement off a couple pix. Plus i think that with that color, if bedside is replaced, a blend in base color & overall re-clear will have to be done on tailgate & ditto on front right fender,(butt match no good)effectively a complete repaint on right side of truck. Out here, that alone would put a healthy tally on the sheet.
The rocker rail is most likely a replacement too...though it doesnt look it, the center pillar/door post may have gotten a push too.

Here in Cali, flat rates are highest in Country & Nor Cal higher than So Cal. Hard to make an accu judgement off a couple pix. Plus i think that with that color, if bedside is replaced, a blend in base color & overall re-clear will have to be done on tailgate & ditto on front right fender,(butt match no good)effectively a complete repaint on right side of truck. Out here, that alone would put a healthy tally on the sheet.
The rocker rail is most likely a replacement too...though it doesnt look it, the center pillar/door post may have gotten a push too.

yup, you don't really know until you get into it....... the adjuster will only write what he can visually see....... supplements are easy and usually only require pictures of labor and old parts; and receipts for new parts.......

a good manager will make sure every job is worse than it actually is...... :D

Yes I am. :thumbsup:
Right On! It's always the Customer's choice by Law, but as eldubb said, lnsurance cos. will do their best to coersce or even trick people into their choice of shop.
I assume these Guys will call You with a break down once They get things opened up. Good Luck with it all.

yup, you don't really know until you get into it....... the adjuster will only write what he can visually see....... supplements are easy and usually only require pictures of labor and old parts; and receipts for new parts.......

a good manager will make sure it's worse than it actually is...... :D
Out here, supplements are not so easy, insurance cos fight religiously for original sheet, so even with light jobs, shops will not give an overall estimate until a tear down is paid for.......only a rough GUESStimate until tear down.

Out here, supplements are not so easy, insurance cos fight religiously for original sheet, so even with light jobs, shops will not give an overall estimate until a tear down is paid for.......only a rough GUESStimate until tear down.

wow, really? that original sheet is toilet paper in these parts

wow, really? that original sheet is toilet paper in these parts
Yeah, so most shops wont make a move until the insurance adjuster comes out & writes his own sheet....so to keep himself from getting in a bind, 1st trip out is to write up a tear down sheet, then come back & write complete sheet after tear down.....then is when shop sheet is compared to insurance sheet & the haggling begins.
Man, i loathe Mitchell,,,all those books are put together under ideal conditions....it isnt real world conditions & there are no 'blue prints' to collisions & twisted metal. Each job is its own beast. And then the insurance cos want work for less than what the book gives. Oy. :drama:

Auto Transport Service
Back