• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was the coolest toy you had as a kid?

I had to buy these all again as an adult. The Dodge Tipper & Trailer was my favourite as a kid. We always had quality Matchbox toys as kids.....hundreds of them.

View attachment 1712732

View attachment 1712733

View attachment 1712734

View attachment 1712735

View attachment 1712736

View attachment 1712737

View attachment 1712738

View attachment 1712739

View attachment 1712740

View attachment 1712741
In case some of you are not familiar with the 'S.H.A.D.O.' toys .... from the TV series UFO....which haunted me as a youngster....but was enjoyable.

Definitely my rough-as-guts homemade trolley.
(Pic stolen from internet but same thing).

images.jpeg

View attachment 1712802
A friend of mine built a machine similar size to that out of an old reel-drive lawn-mower and a wooden frame. Made a track on their front lawn and would race around in it. This was during the time of F1 racing when it was still cool. Of course the blade had been removed first.

View attachment 1712802

As kids, my friends and I made our own "buggies" also, but used shopping carriage wheels. Our old house was on a hill and we'd rife them down the sidewalk. I guess that' where my love of cars began.

Slot cars were great.
But I loved the smell of nitro and castor oil in the morning.
I spent money two years ago for the grand son for Christmas on vintage line controlled planes.
Everything needed.
Even bought a test stand a spare engine.
He hasn't used them yet.
Sports ball......

I'm sure that they couldn't market & sell string planes any longer due to all of the potential liability issues they'd find today.

Finding fuel wasn't easy. It has a specific blend.
They were "back ordered" on it till I told them my "qualifications" (for lack of a better term) and my intended use.
I'm just saying all of a sudden they found me a quart of it.
Seemed odd.

My younger brother and myself each got one of those nitro string planes one year I do not think we ever got them to run good enough ( kept stalling after had it running ) to ever make it fly in one complete circle Did not take long to get frustrated with it and give up and move on to other things

Being on a farm had other things to "play" with
We had an old 2 wheel walk behind garden tractor that you hook a cultivator to
I am the oldest and have one brother and two sisters so ....
We took the garden tractor and hooked two kids style wagons behind it and had our own little train
I was the biggest so sat on front wagon and ran the tractor and steered it up and down the driveway :)

Last edited:
Well the slow garden tractor thing led to a go kart
One was for sale just up the road from our house and dad bought it for us to play with
Was a factory built type thing
Did not notice till much later the house had a paved drive way and we only have gravel
Well the chain drive had a gear that was almost as big as the wheel and if you slide it around too much it picked up a stone and broke the chain

Best time of the year was to drive it in the fall at apple picking time
We had a pick your own type set up and all the cars drove the same way on the grass and packed it down good and no rocks :)

Shortly after that moved up to field trucks ( as aposed to field car ) and the rest is history ......

For me it was Lego. I made all kinds of stuff.

I had a Lego train where the basic set looked like the picture below. Of course, I built all kinds of wild trains. One of my favorite things was to build a train and then smash it into things. For example, a Lego Truck crossing the tracks getting smashed by a train going full speed!

1723984352180.png

I also built many Lego "Hot Rod" cars and vans.

My younger brother and myself each got one of those nitro string planes one year I do not think we ever got them to run good enough ( kept stalling after had it running ) to ever make it fly in one complete circle Did not take long to get frustrated with it and give up and move on to other things

Plan B

Slot cars were great.
I spent money two years ago for the grand son for Christmas on vintage line controlled planes.
Everything needed.
He hasn't used them yet.
Sports ball......

Yeah, my COOLEST toy was a Cox P40 Warhawk line control plane.

My dad and I took it out, he flew it around once. I tried it, the thing went straight up, nosed over, then straight into the ground. So much for cool. Kept the pieces for awhile.

I had a bunch (maybe 20) Hotwheels.

Also now that I think about it I also had some spinning tops that were kind of can shaped, you could do tricks with them on a string and such.

Cool thread! There's lots of toys here from my memory bank. I even flew flies in school, but I'd use a girl's long hair for a tether. One I loved was my Johnny Seven gun, with actual projectiles and machine gun sound. For reference, I never did become a terrorist - outside of my neighborhood. Notice the 'no batteries needed'. That was a big deal. Mom and Dad were pretty frugal when it came to toys. We had to buy our own batteries.

1723987540237.png

I also made cannons from mom's towel rods by cutting them down, roll crimping one end, then drill a hole for a firecracker that the fuse would stick out of so it would shoot a marble out the end. I learned that they would shoot farther without the hole by dropping the firecracker and marble down the 'barrel' together, muzzle loader style. I would climb up on our roof and target the roofs on the next street over, using the peak of the roof for cover. We also had dirt clod fights at the construction sites in the 'hood, with an endless supply of ammo. King of the Hill was another game that required no props, just tough skin.

The PT-19 flew ok because of the wing area.

I had a P51 mustang that flew like a rock.

They are very heavy compared to the balsa wood one real modelers build.

For me it was Lego. I made all kinds of stuff.

I had a Lego train where the basic set looked like the picture below. Of course, I built all kinds of wild trains. One of my favorite things was to build a train and then smash it into things. For example, a Lego Truck crossing the tracks getting smashed by a train going full speed!

View attachment 1712876

I also built many Lego "Hot Rod" cars and vans.

The new legos are practically pre built kit with special pieces to make one object.

No imagination like the ones you showed.

Slot cars were great.
Everything needed.
He hasn't used them yet.
Sports ball......

I had the blue and yellow Cox plane,that propeller whipped the crap out of my fingertips more than a few times!

I had the blow up punching Bag. Joe palooka I think it was called Weighted on the bottom so when you hit it , it came back up for some more shots to the head. A kid could get rid of a lot of anger and frustration with that thing.

Auto Transport Service
Back